Surfing the river in Canada

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Surfing the river in Canada

Post by brothers »

We have many excellent Canadian members here, and I need to discuss something I found. There is a show called Facing Waves and it's on Paddle TV which is streaming on YouTube. This morning they happened to be near or in Montreal and Quebec, paddling on the St. Lawrence. Beautiful place, I had no idea that the river waves are surfable, but that's what they're doing. Just wondering if anybody else, especially the Canadian members here, have much to say or any thing to add in this regard.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Re: Surfing the river in Canada

Post by Rufus »

I can’t help you much. Even though I lived in Montreal for 6 years I rarely went near the St Lawrence River. It wouldn’t surprise me that people are surfing the River, but it is a major route for oceangoing vessels transiting from the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. Apparently the current of the river combined with its slope in certain places creates waves similar to those in the ocean.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Probably a tidal part of the river, with a 'tidal bore' as the tide comes in and the river narrows, making for a single surfable wave that go for a long distance. Several rivers in NS have the correct topography for this, but the wave is usually not so impressive (save for spring tides) that 'bore' takes on a double meaning.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Come to think of it the tidal bore in the Bay of Fundy flows up the Petitcodiac River in Moncton, New Brunswick and this has attracted many surfers. Several years ago two surfers from California rode the bore for 20 miles up the river.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

two surfers from California rode the bore for 20 miles up the river.
learn something new everyday on smf :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square