Legalize the worlds oldest profession Why?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Bobwhite

Legalize the worlds oldest profession Why?

Post by Bobwhite »

This is not to be a seedy topic involving personal experience. Far from it. It is to open peoples minds about our cultural norms and the consequences of creating laws to trump moral issues. It is definitely not written to alter anybody's moral values.
If I surveyed people on this subject, most would automatically say, "No Way". For a few main reasons. A) Its immoral, and unethical. I believe that you are entering a slippery slope when laws dictate morals. Or B) It is a public safety issue and a scourge on society. or C) Both A and B. For my own personal reasons, I have never taken part in it, and don't judge those who have.
If prostitution were legal, as it is in well over 30 countries around the world, it would be regulated.it would move prostitutes off of the streets. Zoning laws would allow the brothels to be in well regulated areas, such as on the outskirts of towns. It would remove the majority of the problem from occurring in front of businesses and homes. Currently where there is prostitution there is problem with high crime rates including drug dealing, murder and robberies etc. Nobody wants their kids to see such activity. When a lady jumps in a car with a stranger, she can be beaten, killed, or sold into foreign sex slavery. From the man's perspective, he can bring home any number of diseases.
In a brothel the brothel manager can make sure that the ladies have current health certificates and cull out any bad apples with drug addiction problems. The rooms can be cleaner than the back seat of a car and offer the ladies a panic button or other security measures to keep the ladies safe.
The men would gravitate to the brothels because the ladies who are not in a brothel are likely to be unsafe, to put it mildly.
It is perfectly fine to disagree with me. I'm wondering if I opened anybody's mind.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Legalize the worlds oldest profession Why?

Post by drmoss_ca »

Moved as not a shaving topic.

But since I'm here, I'd say that in a civilised society prostitution should be legal, safe and voluntary for all concerned. I have no time for the traditional approach (keep arresting the girls, which encourages them to be exploited by pimps, and protects no one other than outraged wives), or the 'Nordic' approach (the girls commit no crime in selling, but the customers do on purchase. This includes validating sex work as something laudable, but criminalises the clients). Neither results in anything satisfactory. Some of the sex workers I have known professionally (my profession, not theirs) have been interesting and pleasant, but more were sad and tragic. I'm comfortable with people doing it because they choose to despite having other options, and I abhor the idea that some are forced to by circumstances. And I think about 95% are the latter.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I see prostitution in much the same way as I see the War on Drugs, which has been about as successful as was Prohibition (of alcohol) in the US.

I think it would be better to legalize and regulate these to hopefully eliminate the criminal class (organized crime, pimps, and such) that exploits these markets.

- Murray
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I’ve read that the system in New Zealand works quite well but I don’t know any of the specific details - easy to google I'm sure. As a practical matter, I think that the industry created by policing and prosecuting these crimes (and small soft drug crimes) place an enormous and ultimately useless burden on society. Some regulation is needed but pushing things underground is the American way (just watch the recent rulings from SCOTUS). The idea that everyone must confirm to some arbitrary religious-based lifestyle model seems un-American at best. However, with the exception of the pols, this is where we are.
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

First, one fine point. The SCOTUS doesn't enact laws, they just resolve disputes that are brought before them. Making law is the business of the legislative bodies representing the people within the 50 sovereign states and the federal government. Thank goodness! The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prevents the government from making laws that regulate an establishment of religion, or that prohibit the free exercise of religion, . . .

The oldest profession is no exception. Let the people make the laws and collect the taxes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Calling it “the world’s oldest profession” says it all. I can’t think of a stronger reason to legalise and regulate it.
Bryan
Shavermeister

Post by Shavermeister »

Your argument seems to oversimplify the issue of legalizing prostitution by presenting a false choice between full legalization and the current problems associated with illegal activities. There are potential alternatives worth considering. Additionally, while you highlight the potential benefits, there's a need to address the underlying moral and ethical concerns associated with the topic.

Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Shavermeister wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:56 am Your argument seems to oversimplify the issue of legalizing prostitution by presenting a false choice between full legalization and the current problems associated with illegal activities. There are potential alternatives worth considering. Additionally, while you highlight the potential benefits, there's a need to address the underlying moral and ethical concerns associated with the topic.

Jim
Okay, get on with it then and put forward your ideas.
Bryan
Shavermeister

Post by Shavermeister »

Rufus wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:09 am
Shavermeister wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:56 am Your argument seems to oversimplify the issue of legalizing prostitution by presenting a false choice between full legalization and the current problems associated with illegal activities. There are potential alternatives worth considering. Additionally, while you highlight the potential benefits, there's a need to address the underlying moral and ethical concerns associated with the topic.

Jim
Okay, get on with it then and put forward your ideas.
Hey Bryan,

When discussing the legalization of prostitution, a comprehensive approach is crucial. One idea is to establish a well-regulated system that ensures the safety and health of individuals involved. This might involve mandatory health check-ups, educational programs, and support services. Zoning laws could play a role in designating specific areas for such activities, addressing concerns about visibility in residential areas.

Moreover, implementing measures to prevent exploitation and human trafficking is paramount. This could include strict licensing requirements, background checks, and ongoing monitoring to ensure ethical practices.

Let's continue exploring these ideas and consider various perspectives on how to strike a balance between regulation and addressing moral and ethical concerns.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Best,
Jim