Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Post by Sam »

I put up a watchwinder if anyone with an automatic is interested. Priced at less than half of what a new one costs, and I don't know if Orbita makes an electric one anymore, but uses lithium batteries

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231846517088?ss ... 1555.l2649
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:I wish I had one so I could join in the informative discussion. Alas, I know I'm depriving myself, but the truth is that I have just stopped wearing a wristwatch. A few years ago it became smart to wear one, for business appearances, and that jazz. Then I slowly drifted away again, and here I am. I remember as a youth and before electronics took over the world, we all needed one for obvious reasons. Now I truly and honestly do not need a wristwatch. The accurate time of day is within range at all times now. Our phones, handheld screens of all descriptions, etc. have become a mandatory accessory, taking the place of wristwatches. Worse, I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe it's just a thing.
Gary,

It is interesting you should post this. I have not worn watches near as much as I used to ..... although I still love looking at different watches (my wife says I have an obsession) all the time. With my almost always carrying a mobile with me, and with the long-term damage that some wristwatches can do to shirt cuffs, I find that the need to wear them is reduced for me.

I never go on my bike without my Garmin 310XT though -- and often wear it snowshoeing as well, and sometimes when I am rambling/hiking/walking around with my wife, just to see where we have been.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Garmin sounds like a necessity under those circumstances.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:The Garmin sounds like a necessity under those circumstances.
But of course ..... :D 8)
Wendell

Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Has anyone been tempted by Apple Watch?

I am an avid and devoted Apple user but this is one product I haven't yet gone for. I just appreciate a quality, traditional timepiece too much. I also don't wear any other jewellery except for my watch and/or cuff links so appreciate it on this level also.

The fitness tracking features I have to say are somewhat appealing though.

Gareth
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I have owned too many watches in the past year or so....my latest arrived today.
Attachments
imageedit_15_4556871157.jpg
imageedit_15_4556871157.jpg (344.53 KiB) Viewed 9664 times
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh I've still got the cell phone, just don't answer it unless I'm in the mood.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gareth wrote:Has anyone been tempted by Apple Watch?

I am an avid and devoted Apple user but this is one product I haven't yet gone for. I just appreciate a quality, traditional timepiece too much. I also don't wear any other jewellery except for my watch and/or cuff links so appreciate it on this level also.

Gareth
I am not "there" with smartwatches yet. I just can't get my head around them at all. I am with you on the minimalist approach for jewelry.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:

Gareth
I am not "there" with smartwatches yet. I just can't get my head around them at all. I am with you on the minimalist approach for jewelry.
Same here, a long way from being there.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote:
jww wrote:

Gareth
Same here, a long way from being there.
I have no interest. I'll stick with my reliable and functional mechanical watches along with my "land line".
Bryan
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Today I'm wearing a Hamilton chronograph.
_______
John
Antique Hoosier

Sold all of my watches and returned to a basic WIS wonder, the Seiko SKX007 dive watch.......
Attachments
image_1458493396508.jpg
image_1458493396508.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 9520 times
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Mike, use in good health. do you hand wind yours, or just give it a good shake every other day?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Antique Hoosier

Clive I shake and wear this simple Seiko auto diver
Mike
prateekgupta

Post by prateekgupta »

The Rolex will be noticed by 90% of the people who see it, but the Lange & Shone will be " noticed" by the other 10%. I like how it has tasteful understated qualities. After seeing it I would like to find a similar self winding swiss watch with gold and and brown crocodile band. best inverter ac best gas geyser best solar water heater best v guard geyser
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

prateekgupta wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:49 am The Rolex will be noticed by 90% of the people who see it, but the Lange & Shone will be " noticed" by the other 10%. I like how it has tasteful understated qualities. After seeing it I would like to find a similar self winding swiss watch with gold and and brown crocodile band. best inverter ac best gas geyser best solar water heater best v guard geyser
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

jgreenepa's sotd post today was a bit of an eye opener, who knew that once upon a time a great watchmaker was involved with glorious shaving instruments? Ive been lusting after a jaeger watch for several years now.....maybe if i sold off some of my pseudo DrP supplies I would be easily able to afford my dream piece:

clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

That’s a beautiful watch Clive. I too lusted after a watch like that for many years. Completely to my surprise my wife gave me a Patek Philippe Calatrava on my 60th birthday. It looks very similar to your Jaeger.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Patek Philippe Calatrava
stunning!! pure elegance. does wifeee have a spare sister??????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Clive, don't think about it just buy it, you will admire the watch every day you wear it. Jaeger-lecoultre are timeless classics.
My last purchase was a Hublot classic fusion chrono with the crocodile strap, love wearing it. Elegant and sporty at the same time.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."