Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
churchilllafemme

Re: Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Post by churchilllafemme »

I ended up just getting little inexpensive rosewood stand to display the Hamilton when I am not carrying it. (In my pocket it resides in a soft iPhone case.)

And I just added another Luminox Atacama Field Chronograph to my collection, which I rotate at the end of each week.
_______
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sigh...... =P~
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I love that old Hamilton!

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Any old Hamilton for that matter.
Regards,
Squire
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Rufus wrote:
Squire wrote:There are few things we can own that are such a pleasure to use as a fine mechanical watch.
My exact sentiment. I got my love for mechanical watches from my father, who really appreciated fine Swiss-made mechanical watches. My university graduation gift from him was an 18c yellow gold Vacheron Constantin pocket watch, which I still use. My wife, however, really surprised me when she gave me an 18c yellow gold Patek Philippe Calatrva automatic wrist watch with a brown and a black alligator strap on my 60th birthday. I wear this watch almost every day except when I travel, do manual labour or work out.
Bryan,

Those are 2 of the classic watch brands (VC and Patek). Patek watches are simply stunning, and the Calatrava is, perhaps, the most balanced and best-looking of all men's dress watches!

BTW - I was in Geneva last summer and had the chance to browse the Patek Phillipe museum which is spectacular with a fairly extensive history of horology.

My personal collection runs a bit more modest with a couple of IWCs and Jaeger Lecoultres. (incidentally, JLC is one of the most prolific movement manufacturers and has made movements for many other watch brands including VC and Panerai).

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Steve, thanks. My father's favourite brand of watches was IWC and he had a beautiful one in 18c yellow gold that is quite similar to my PP Calatrava. Unfortunately my brother inherited it; I say unfortunately because my brother has no appreciation for fine watches and my father's IWC has sat in a safety deposit box since his death; such a waste. I envy you for having visited the PP museum in Geneva, but it's on my list of visits to make while I can. For some reason all my trips to Switzerland have been to Zurich and environs (possibly because I did business with several gnomes there), but not to Geneva. As for high-end watches, the main drawback is the cost of periodic servicing. I've just sent my VC pocket watch to Geneva for servicing and it'll cost me $1,000. But I guess that's what you take on when you buy such watches. Furthermore, there's no point in owning a valuable watch if you're not prepared to look after it.
Bryan
Araner

Post by Araner »

My old Omega Seamaster and a cup of sake.

Regards,
Mike
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Mike,

Nice Seamaster!

Omega watches are very well made and historically significant (moonwatch).

Now, with the Rory Mcilroy endorsement, this brand will likely become even more popular.

... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
churchilllafemme

I decided to get a case to protect and display my watches, which had outgrown their previous cigar box storage. Here they are now.
ImageImageImage
_______
John
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I wanna get a watch from the year of my birth, 1960. Leaning to an Omega or a JLC watch. Nothing expensive, but not anything like a chronograph. Something I can wear with khakis on a brown strap. Seconds subdial would be nice, date window very optional
churchilllafemme

I decided to expand my collection beyond Luminox chronographs, so I picked up some Orient watches.
_______
John
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

A question for the watch fans.

Is losing approx. 20 seconds per day a normal occurrence with an automatic? Over the past year Ive bought several different seikos and I'm running slow on all of them. One of my seikos went back for 'service' three times before I asked for a refund. Its been a long time :D since I used an automatic, and maybe it is becks induced imagination, but i dont remember having to reset my watches every week when i did use automatics circa 60's thru the 80's

thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote:A question for the watch fans.

Is losing approx. 20 seconds per day a normal occurrence with an automatic? Over the past year Ive bought several different seikos and I'm running slow on all of them. One of my seikos went back for 'service' three times before I asked for a refund. Its been a long time :D since I used an automatic, and maybe it is becks induced imagination, but i dont remember having to reset my watches every week when i did use automatics circa 60's thru the 80's

thanks

clive
Clive, in general you are correct, but it can be a function of the quality of the movement. For example, my cheap Russian Vostok is not nearly as accurate as my Omega Seamaster Professional, but it cost me 1/60 of the Omega. My automatics tend to gain time, but not to the extent I have to re-set them every week. What you need to determine is whether or not the accuracy of the watch is within the parameters/tolerances set by the manufacturer.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

whether or not the accuracy of the watch is within the parameters/tolerances set by the manufacturer.

Bryan, i think that they are, but according to rumour on the www, seiko is supposed to be a bit more accurate than their official tolerance. Thanks for the reply. I thought with my latest, a seiko prospex i would buck my 'late' trend, but no!!!!!!!!! that would be too easy LOL

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I recently added to my very modest collection of not-through-the-roof-expensive watches as I opted for a classic looking dual stainless/gold tone Bullova as my retirement gift from IBM. Took several weeks to receive it, but it is a lovely watch, and has a thin, classic look to it, along with a black pearl like finish on the top of the crown.
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i have a bullova too....fantastic watch, but on the cusp of daily and smart wear and so I never use it :roll: :shock: :roll: Once upon a time Wendell recommended a citizen eco drive which caught my fancy and I bought one. Unfortunately, the model is no longer or else I would buy a stack of them

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZP ... detailpage
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

fallingwickets wrote:A question for the watch fans.

Is losing approx. 20 seconds per day a normal occurrence with an automatic?
Clive, in my opinion, no, this isn't normal. 20 seconds a week? maybe.... I had a Datejust like this not long ago and in the end I sent it for servicing. I've since replaced it with a Submariner which keeps time impeccably.

Gareth
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:i have a bullova too....fantastic watch, but on the cusp of daily and smart wear and so I never use it :roll: :shock: :roll: Once upon a time Wendell recommended a citizen eco drive which caught my fancy and I bought one. Unfortunately, the model is no longer or else I would buy a stack of them

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZP ... detailpage
I own two eco drives. Both are excellent watches. Recently my older one went a bit cuckoo and I sent it to Citizen Canada to look at. They ended up replacing the main "brain" unit for something like $60 CDN and it's good as new ...... in fact, it's better, as they sorted out some issues with the crown and switching between multiple functions of the watch. It continues to be a mainstay with dress or casual wear and it tends to be my go-to watch when I cross time-zones because of the dual-time feature.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

I wish I had one so I could join in the informative discussion. Alas, I know I'm depriving myself, but the truth is that I have just stopped wearing a wristwatch. A few years ago it became smart to wear one, for business appearances, and that jazz. Then I slowly drifted away again, and here I am. I remember as a youth and before electronics took over the world, we all needed one for obvious reasons. Now I truly and honestly do not need a wristwatch. The accurate time of day is within range at all times now. Our phones, handheld screens of all descriptions, etc. have become a mandatory accessory, taking the place of wristwatches. Worse, I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe it's just a thing.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'm not ready to give up any of my five wrist watches; all mechanical. In fact, when I retired the first thing I gave up was my cell/mobile phone; it's going on ten years and I have yet to miss it.
Bryan