Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Re: Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Post by Kyle76 »

CMur12 wrote:
Squire wrote:You are fortunate indeed Bryan.
I'll say. A Patek Philippe is a helluva gift!

- Murray
Wow, no kidding!
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sounds like he has a helluva gift giver as well.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:Sounds like he has a helluva gift giver as well.

Yup, she's a keeper. She's wife number 2 and I always thought it was third time lucky, but not this time. :mrgreen:
Bryan
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have another Luminox field chronograph coming soon, this one a Model 1849.
_______
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Very nice John.

While not at the watch acquisition levels of others, I did add this G-Shock to my own most humble collection the other day. I was looking for something I could pound around with and not worry about a bit of wear and tear. All the reviews on this one were tops and I was especially drawn to the low temp LCD (works to -20C) and 20 Bar WR rating. Besides, it was free (another work related award program acquisition).

There was a lot to set up -- UTC variant (easy-peasy) as well as moon phases (setting the correct longitude) and tides for our beach spot in Ocean Park Maine (including properly calculating the lunitidal interval - much more tricky) but I got it done over about 20 minutes.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

These last two posted razors from John and Wendell are both amazing instruments. I'm going out on a limb and say I presume they both tell time pretty good too. It really doesn't matter, though, because the smart phone is what I use to tell me what time it is. Don't need a watch for that anymore.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It's interesting that using a cellphone for a timepiece is, in a way, like going back to the pocket watch, in that you have to dig the "timepiece" out of a pocket or holster to tell the time. 8)

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Don't have a cell/mobile phone, but I do have 5 watches, all mechanical. If I were to get a cell/mobile phone, and that's highly unlikely, I'd want just a phone, as the name implies.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

There is no substitute for the personality of a fine watch.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:There is no substitute for the personality of a fine watch.
Yes -- my wife thinks I was bonkers getting another watch "Like you need that like a hole in the head!." And then I promptly reminded her that I got it for free.

I have thought of adding a Tissot or an inexpensive Invicta -- I have always liked the oversized look of the Russian Divers and their Pro Diver series of watches. Tissot is not high-high end, but do some very nice watches. Heck -- even Swatch (who are responsible for most watch makes these days) have some interesting and fun designs. I kinda like the Noho and Blackie. Both present really well --- one thing about Swatch that is a bit annoying is the cheap materials they use for their crystals --- mostly resin, some are mineral --- but I have never seen a sapphire crystal on them.

Some day a Hamilton? I dunno -- I can't see myself spending more than $500 on a watch, perhaps I might find a used one some day, but it's not like it's on my bucket list at this point in time.

I admire collections though.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:There is no substitute for the personality of a fine watch.
+1. I love my watches and they're all quite different. They are akin to my vintage fountain pens (+100), in terms of personality. I derive a great deal of pleasure from wearing my watches as I do from writing with one of my fountain pens. I'd also put my shaving brushes (24) in the same category. AD, however, can be a challenge with all three.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bryan I find challenge can be overcome by acquiescence.
Regards,
Squire
churchilllafemme

I was moving some suitcases out of storage in my car trunk, and in one of them I found some old keepsakes that had belonged to my grandfather, including his L.A. County Natural History Museum guard's badge and his Hamilton pocket watch. I like it but doubt that I'll use it since I wear wristwatches.
ImageImage
_______
John
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That's a beautiful Hamilton, John. It has a lovely double-sunk porcelain dial with no crazing and it looks like it could be a railroad watch. Does it have a lever set?

I'm more accustomed to wearing wristwatches, also, for the ease of viewing, but I often bang them into things around me. A pocket watch is better protected under most circumstances. I have been wearing pocket watches a lot lately just because I like them. They are certainly more convenient than using a cell phone as a timepiece, as many are wont to do these days.

It would really look nice on display in one of those pocket watch domes, which aside from display purposes appear to have been designed to keep the watch in one position for consistent timekeeping.

- Murray
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

CMur12 wrote:It's interesting that using a cellphone for a timepiece is, in a way, like going back to the pocket watch, in that you have to dig the "timepiece" out of a pocket or holster to tell the time. 8)

- Murray
You often hear tech mavens marvel at the idea that anyone would wear a watch. As the owner of a laptop, a smartphone, a gaming console, a desktop computer, and an MP3 player [almost all of which are absurdities in and of themselves], I've yet to get a feeling of incongruity as I strap on a watch every morning.
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's my watch and I'll wear if I want to.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

John, if I had my hands on such a beautiful timepiece, I'd be quickly figuring out how to get it into a pocket as part of my regular wardrobe. It's dead gorgeous.
Wendell

churchilllafemme

jww wrote:John, if I had my hands on such a beautiful timepiece, I'd be quickly figuring out how to get it into a pocket as part of my regular wardrobe. It's dead gorgeous.
It is, and I had completely forgotten about it until coming across it accidentally. Perhaps I can figure out a way to carry the watch in a front pants pocket without damaging it. I don't ever wear vests and very, very rarely wear a sport coat or suit.
_______
John
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John, aside from the glass dome and hanger to display the watch on your dresser, you might be able to find a leather snap-case that attaches to your belt.

(I'm guessing from your post that you don't wear pants with a dedicated watch pocket.)

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 .... like this.

Wendell