Lockdown Lunacy

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Lockdown Lunacy

Post by drmoss_ca »

We thought to finish a film with a family portrait, but it soon degenerated into a giggle-fest:

ImageLockdown Lunacy by chrism229, on Flickr

Yes, I'm ashamed to say the beard (well, one of them) is mine. I'm forbidden to shave, as my platelets have gone on strike. I'm sorely tempted to listen to the bamboo-scaled siren luring me into the bathroom though and rely on skill to be rid of it without blood loss.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Re: Lockdown Lunacy

Post by Rufus »

Dark days Chris and I can empathise with you: 10 years ago I underwent chemo for stage 3 cancer and my oncologist forbade me to shave with a blade. I lasted for about a week and decided finally to give into the forces of darkness and bought an electric razor. Fortunately (?), after several treatments it became redundant for me to shave at all. For some reason I kept the electric razor and used it again in November for 2 weeks when I had my face treated with liquid nitrogen for “sun damage”. As far as I’m concerned, the electric razor is the lesser of 2 evils: no GQ stubble, let alone beards, for me.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

If I should reach a certain age, I'll lay down the wetshaving equipment and go total electric. Emphasis on if.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think your 110th birthday would be suitable!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris there is a pic of you in your shave den on your flickr account that is just brilliant....even DrP would be jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Beautiful family picture!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The photo does seem to portray a special, albeit humorous, moment. Excellent capture.

By the way, Chris, you wear a beard well.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Oh dear, I was memorialising it today with some film selfies and going to shear it off. This is XP2 Super @ISO 200 in Diafine:

(and Murray, since you use film, the development was in my motorised Rondinax spinning at 40rpm. I always heard Diafine didn't care about temperature or time, but it was supposed to be fussy about agitation, with something like one slow inversion every minute being recommended, and all sorts of nasty 'bromide drag' would result if you got enthusiastic. Well, there goes another myth!)
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And the beard is gone! I thought I'd recognise myself better in the mirror, but instead there's some goddam youngster there. It takes time to get used to mirrors and their truths. Currently, I'm feeling bereaved as I contemplate my naked face, and trying not to dwell upon the regret of losing my facial companion. But on the other hand, I really enjoyed mixing my homemade soap into a lather, stropping the razor and swishing, swiping and slashing with it until my face is smooth, Not one bleeding point - so take that, you nannies of the Hematology Clinic! Followed by some well-shaken Eucris hair dressing used as aftershave balm, and then a splash of Taylor's No.74 Original, I feel a bit dashing and ready for the world. I know that in a week or two I will no longer miss the beard. We forget our losses, and that is necessary for life to go on. I hope to enjoy many more forbidden shaves that dodge the promised hemorrhages, and look forward to seeing the faces of the nurses who lock me into my isolation room when I take out my shaving implements (and what colour code shall they call? The notices at the nurses' station already describe blue (arrest), white (evacuate), red (fire), pink (child abduction), brown (severe weather), orange (chemical hazard), violet (violent person), yellow (unspecified disaster), silver (active shooter), so maybe I'll be a code Ivory for the colour of my razor scales!

So, there are pluses and minuses. I enjoyed stroking it all day long, Pippa hated it, it prevented me from enjoying a good shave, there was no blood loss and so on and so on. I think I will do it again one day, if preserved long enough. For now, I know it is important to look as young and healthy as possible when I see the hematologist; they try harder for youngsters than for old fogies. So when I see him, I'm feeling fit, have no symptoms, dress decently, have lots of energy and look as young as possible, and as well-kept as an OCD person's front lawn. Thus we influence our fate.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Good on you Chris. Getting rid of that facial hair seems to have done you a world of good, physically and psychologically. I’ve never yearned nor felt the need for facial hair and feel grubby if I haven’t shaved in a couple of days. Ever since I retired 12 years ago I’ve made it a point to rise by 6.30 am, shower and shave before breakfast, to dress decently and to walk for an hour. I even managed to keep this up during chemo, but I was fortunate in that I didn’t have a bad reaction to my treatments. I think it gave me a PMA (positive mental attitude).
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I liked the beard. Your son reminds me a tad of Bjorn Borg. Try a goatee. Or mutton chip sideburns. Shock your nurses.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There are no nurses in my life, anymore, save for those I see professionally! My lack of immunity has had me social distancing and otherwise in lockdown for six years now.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Forty years ago today:

And I thought ruby weddings were just for old people!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Congrats Docs!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Happy Anniversary!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Not one bleeding point - so take that, you nannies of the Hematology Clinic!
10000000000 thumbs up, with a few extra 0000's added on for the anniversary. mazels!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Congratulations and best wishes for many more.
Bryan
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Congratulations, Chris!
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hearty congratulations to you and Pippa, Chris!

- Murray
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Congratulations sir! quite the milestone in this day and age.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!