Plumbing!

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Plumbing!

Post by drmoss_ca »

Plumbing.jpeg
Plumbing.jpeg (204.05 KiB) Viewed 7471 times
This is how I get daily blood tests and infusions. The tube travels under the skin, loops over the collar bone and dives down the internal jugular to just above the heart.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Re: Plumbing!

Post by CMur12 »

Oof, that looks pretty gruesome! Hopefully, the process will bring about the desired results.

Thanks for the update.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

You're in good hands having completed the first step to recovery.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I don’t know what to say Chris. That picture made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and sent a shiver through my body. I had intensive chemotherapy 12 years ago, but it was nothing like what you are experiencing. My thoughts are with you ; I hope all goes well for you and your family.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Wishing you all the best.

as a matter of curiosity....as far as these procedures go, does being a doctor help or would it be better to be an ignorant layperson?
clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

Chris - I don't have the words, either. I so hope this all goes well for you!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Dr. Moss,

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Locked in a single room now, but Pippa able to visit as she likes in the daytime. Bususlphan IV today and tomorrow, and anti-thymocyte globulin tomorrow and Tuesday. Because busulphan can cause seizures, I'm taking lorazepam/Ativan four times a day, and find I cannot type properly. Transplant goes in Wednesday, the anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks locked in the room until I start to make enough white cells to be allowed out to the Cancer Society Lodge. Then daily visits for blood, platelets, rejection meds until it is deemed OK to go home. Until then I'm in here:

IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg (88.11 KiB) Viewed 7396 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon!
Olle
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks a gazillion for keeping us updated

wishing you all the best on wednesday

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

To second Clive, every update is appreciated.

And yes, we'll be thinking of you and wishing you well, on Wednesday and thereafter.

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

Wishing you well on Wednesday and for a speedy recovery.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, we're all constantly thinking of you and your loved ones during this critical time.
We know you and your trusted medical team are doing everything possible to get through this.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Barry

Post by Barry »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 am Plumbing.jpeg

This is how I get daily blood tests and infusions. The tube travels under the skin, loops over the collar bone and dives down the internal jugular to just above the heart.
Wishing you well.

I have something similar. I’m on a one week on two weeks off cycle.

They use my port for CT scans as well. I wish they’d given me a dual but I do have the Power-Port version of this thing and that’s fine with me.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Transferring dross from phone to computer, I came across this was taken during the actual transplant (which is the pink stuff in the big bag on the pole):
IMG_0837 copy.jpeg
IMG_0837 copy.jpeg (215.58 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
I'm now at Day +48. The donor was female, and A+ (I used to be O+), but beyond that I know nothing about her other than that she must be a kind and generous person. I am allowed to send a completely anonymized message to her, but cannot give away sex, age, or even first name! After a couple of years we are allowed to communicate if desired. I suppose this is to prevent people doing cash deals for transplants.
I take 20 pills a day, have bloodwork and an IV twice a week. The marrow sprang to life surprisingly quickly, so fast that at first I thought it was my own stuff racing back after the chemo, but the first chimerism test at Day +28 showed only donor-derived cells in my blood. I have had exceptionally few side-effects, and feel pretty normal now except for the fact I go faint and sweaty on exertion. I lost about 15lb so far and that's OK as I had fattened myself up for the expected period of being unable to swallow (sore mouth from mucositis). Met some lovely kind nurses and skillful doctors. Thought-provoking, too, to meet the other residents in the Cancer Society Lodge, some going for daily or twice daily radiation for up to seven weeks straight. Made me feel rather fit.

Anyway, I'm a lucky old sod who may get another chance thanks to all these lovely people. My gratitude goes to all of them, along with the researchers and brave past patients who figured out at great cost to themselves how this could be made to work. I also have to say I could not, and probably would not have tried, to do it without Pippa's 24/7 support. She's a keeper! I hope I will be too.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

not a brush, puck, bottle in sight.....getting slack in your old age :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

so glad to read/see you on the mend. fantastic newz. THANKS

clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Chris, that is great news. Having lived through radical surgery, chemo and radiation I really feel for you, but what you’re enduring makes my experience pale in comparison. You are made of stern stuff, physically and mentally; you bring new meaning to a stiff upper lip. Hang in there and damn the torpedoes. We’re thinking of you.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, I'm glad to hear of encouraging outcomes and that you are comfortable, if still weak.

I remember when our young friend, Justin Barbier (remember "Geaux Tigers"?) underwent two bone marrow transplants (BMTs). His mother posted to Caring Bridge daily, and I feared he wouldn't make it. It was a very rough process.

It's hard for us to appreciate your BMT experience from outside, but I and a lot of others here are rooting for you.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Glad to see the picture of you from yesterday. Smiling. Wish there was some way we all could collectively and corporately reach out and hug you. This is certainly good news to read.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Wonderful news, Chris. I hope that your recovery continues to be so successful.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau