SOTD July 26 - August 1, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD July 26 - August 1, 2021

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Waleda
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Family Dollar Old Spice clone
Cologne / Fragrance: Canoe

Mike
Mike R

Re: SOTD July 26 - August 1, 2021

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Arko Regular
A/S: Family Dollar Brut clone
Cologne / Fragrance: Brut

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Another TI Eagle from the set, C&E Sandalwood soap, Somerset PJ2, Taylor's Sandalwood cologne.
SOTD270721.jpeg
SOTD270721.jpeg (158.33 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

6CCEA1DC-3DE9-426D-9A2E-D046A01494EE.jpeg
6CCEA1DC-3DE9-426D-9A2E-D046A01494EE.jpeg (169.47 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, JULY 27, 2021

I’ll kick off today’s shave with an honest admission. I’m a 74 yr old Vic Creazzi (Bluesman blades) and Howard Schechter (The Perfect Edge) fanboy! Vic’s razors and Howard’s “Constroption” are both apex products. There's been a fair bit of controversy in straight razor circles around honing techniques. 98% of us use flat hones but a select few are now touting the benefits of convex hones. A core part of their argument is to point to the Feather Super AC blades and how no existing user of flat hones can achieve a comparable edge on a straight razor. I respectfully call bushwah! How anyone wants to hone their razors is their business! They’ll have to shave with whatever edge they create. All I know is that Victor Creazzi’s razors arrive with a Feather super level edge and that Howard Schlecter’s “Constroption” maintains them magnificently.

I own two of Howard’s razors, and find them both to be superb shaving tools. Today’s mug shave features my Victor Creazzi Shorty. I love shorties because they seem to work best with the swirling whiskers on either side of my Adam’s apple. The blade size makes getting at those problematic areas easier than with a longer blade. In any case, three slow comfortable passes and I’m porcelain smooth. One of the best kept secrets in safety razor shaving is the Ronson razor. Developed in the thirties with a built in leather stropper for the thicker carbon steel blades of that era, it nevertheless delivers an awesome shave when equipped with a Schick B-20 Proline Injector blade. Two ATG passes left your very contented narrator cool, clean, and oh-so-smooth.

RAZOR: Victor Creazzi Damascus Shorty (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor (Noggin)
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline Injector
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: JR Cashmere Synthetic #343
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature Scent
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent AS Gel.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
John Rose

Re: SOTD July 26 - August 1, 2021 - Slim & Henson

Post by John Rose »

SOTN - Tuesday, July 27, in the 2nd year of the COVID-19

prep - shower with Caprina Fresh Goat’s Milk Original Formula bar soap
razors - Henson AL13 Mild & Gillette L4 Slim Adjustable
blade - Wilkinson Sword (7) - my second-least favourite blade.
brush - APShaveCo SynBad
soap - Stirling Noir
post - warm water rinse, DSA “Pure & Natural” alum, cold water rinse
aftershave - Old Spice Classic (because somebody has to use it up)
music - streaming the CBC Listen "Chill Out" playlist
SOTD 2021-07-27_3356.JPG
SOTD 2021-07-27_3356.JPG (619.91 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
Elsewhere, in the Acquisitions thread, I thought I should attempt to find an aggression setting on the Slim that is most like the Henson. I started with the Slim at 1, made a few strokes, then moved the blade to the Henson, made a few strokes, moved it back to the Slim and bumped it up to 2, back and forth etc. I was mostly paying attention to how much it dragged.

I thought it would match at 1 or 2, but I actually got to 4. Make it 3.5-ish.
[later] The blade gap of .68 mm (Henson FAQ) places it between the .66 mm of a Gillette adjustable at 3 and the .74 mm of the Gillette at 4 (B&B wiki), so I guess my "3.5-ish" comparison was not far off.

There was one weeper, but I blame that on the blade (because of my anti-WS bias :wink: ). It went away on its own without the use of the styptic pencil. There was also more negative feedback from the alum than usual. The Henson alone was giving me almost no alum feedback.
Nevertheless, I still ended up with a BBS
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Third TI Eagle 6/8, Trumper Eucris soap (poor non-tallow stuff), Apothecary Shop brush, Trumper Eucris cologne:

SOTD280721.jpeg
SOTD280721.jpeg (132.67 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Another TI Eagle 6/8, Taylor's Lavender soap, Rooney Finest, Taylor's Lavender Water (not shown):

SOTD300721.jpeg
SOTD300721.jpeg (245.47 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Williams + Leftovers
A/S: vintage Old Spice
Cologne / Fragrance: vintage Old Spice

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream / Soap: Williams + Leftovers
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne / Fragrance: Stetson Caliber

Mike
pausted

Post by pausted »

Ach Brito Mogno soap
Omega 80097 boar brush
Rockwell 6C razor- plate 5
Gillette Silver Blue blade
Royal Copenhagen aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

F5558B12-3624-4580-80F4-9D405E79BA33.jpeg
F5558B12-3624-4580-80F4-9D405E79BA33.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 3304 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, JULY 31, 2021

Today marks the first meeting of the 30DC Pennsyltucky Chapter. As I write, my friend, Bill, is wending his southeast to the western suburbs of Philly. I've been speaking to Bill online for three or four years off and on, but this breakfast will be our first face-to-face. It should be interesting! Given our joint Pennsyltucky venue and backgrounds, I’ve picked a neutral, scrapple-enriched restaurant. As the Habersett ad says, “scrapple contains everything good about the pig, but the oink!”

The Genco 35 was my third straight razor acquisition, notice I didn’t say purchase. It was a straight up barter deal. I traded a 1908 Gillette Single Ring along with a Milord, both of which were not being used and were missing from my friend’s den collection. They were in decent shape, but really benefitted from the cleaning and replating he gave them. A well-known honemeister friend had been telling me about the great fine grained central NY/PA steel in these blades. He wasn’t exaggerating.

My son, Ben, reset the bevel - I wasn’t honing yet in those days - on his jnat progression and built a very sweet edge. I’ve since touched it up on a new slate that Glen Mercurio recommended, and was surprised at the beautiful result. Howard Schlecter’s constroption put the icing on the cake. The mug shave was everything it could be. My usual three passes resulted in one of those effortless shaves that felt like I was just sweeping the whiskers away.

The noggin shave featured my favorite artisan DE, the Colonial Silversmith! Loaded with one of my vanishing hoard of Polsilvers, it cleared away my dome stubble with aplomb. Colonial Razor is one of those artisan makers that tends to fly under the radar, but the Evans twins, Kyle and Kirk, have a real passion for their work. I’ve only met Kirk online, he’s a very committed straight shaver with an impressive collection of stones and razors. It’s Kyle the razor designer, who I know. His design esthetic is highly refined as the Colonial Silversmith indicates. Two ATG passes, and I’m again as smooth as my great-grandaughter’s butt!

RAZOR: GENCO 35 5/8 (Mug), Colonial Silversmith (Dome)
BLADE: Polsilver
BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Handle #007 w/ Hybrid Knot
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

TI Eagle 6/8 #5, Taylor's Arlington soap, Somerset E3 Super, Penhaligon's Douro:

SoTD310721.jpeg
SoTD310721.jpeg (323.12 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

44B7C845-440F-41C9-82FD-365BB026EC04.jpeg
44B7C845-440F-41C9-82FD-365BB026EC04.jpeg (240 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
SUNDAY MORNING, AUGUST 1, 2021

In keeping with the theme of adjustable August, I’ll kick off my first dome shave with the Rex Ambassador and the C-Mon Special 11/16. Glen Mercurio recommended this Italian slate as a touch up/finisher and I really like the edge it delivered to the C-Mon Special. The gold wash has maintained nicely on the tang and heel of the blade on this grand old lady, and with her refinished edge, refined beautifully on Howard Schecter’s pasted “Constroption”, she swept away the mug stubble in the normal three passes. The Rex Ambassador followed up in grand fashion on the noggin in two ATG passes leaving yours truly velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: C-Mon Special 11/16 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Kai DE
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime (Indian Version)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sunday's shave was outstanding. 3 day rough beard.
DR Harris Marlborough soap
SilkSmoke synthetic brush
General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Superior 70 Mentolado aftershave splash
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444