SOTD October 25- October 31

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

SOTD October 25 - 31

Post by jgreenepa »

BAF2CBCA-2A11-4291-9BCD-A9DE53462751.jpeg
BAF2CBCA-2A11-4291-9BCD-A9DE53462751.jpeg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 4289 times
:!: SOTD MONDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2021

Today I shaved my mug with a Swedish Faux Frameback 4/8 that dates to between the 1880s- 1890s. These razors marked the point just prior to the appearance of Swedish hollow ground razors. The Faux frameback was a thin solid piece of steel to which an external spine was attached. I know a lot of folk like these razors, but I find the shave to be much less refined than the later hollow ground Swedish razors. Yes it gets the job done, but it is a much cruder shaving tool than a hollow ground straight IMHO. Three passes got the job done, but the shave just wasn’t as refined as say my Klas Tornblom 4/8 which is hollow ground and definitely provides a more comfortable, closer shave.

A few years ago the 2011 Muhle R41 safety razor would be described as extremely aggressive and terms like “beast” were bandied about in describing it. Honestly, I believe the original handle the razor came with didn’t help matters. I was never happy with the grip it provided. My solution was to swap in a Weber Bulldog handle which made a great difference weight and balance-wise in hand for me. I find the razor to be an incredibly efficient dome shaver that when equipped with a sharp DE blade like a Feather leaves my dome velveteen smooth as it did this morning. In fact, my dome shave was without doubt closer and smoother than the mug shave this morning.

RAZOR: CW Dahlgren 4/8 Faux Frameback (Mug), Muhle 2011 R41 Weber Bulldog Handle
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
CREAM: PSC Caffeinated Shaving Cream
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with PSC Caffeinated AS Balm.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
Mike R

SOTD October 25- October 31

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: T&H Rose
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Brut
Cologne / Fragrance: Drakkar Noir

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: SOTD October 25- October 31

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue SOC Mistura Taj
Taylor Cedarwood cream
RR Gamechanger .84P DE
Personna Med Prep day 1
Bigelow Rosewater Tonic
L'Homme Rochas EDT :)
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

SOTD on film again - Rollei Retro 80 this time.
SOTD251021 copy.jpeg
SOTD251021 copy.jpeg (143.92 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

32FE541F-E358-4B72-84DE-0635EF1D35B7.jpeg
32FE541F-E358-4B72-84DE-0635EF1D35B7.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 4254 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 26, 2021

The shaves during OC October have been pretty awesome with the exception of yesterday’s shave. I guess I’m just not a fan of late nineteenth century Swedish faux framebacks. I own two, the CW Dahlgren I shaved with yesterday and a JA Hellberg. Both get the job done, but just don’t seem to deliver the kind of refined shave that my hollow grounds do. They both feel much too light in hand for me.

This morning’s mug shave fell right back in the groove. One razor with great steel, that also feels great in hand and holds an excellent edge is my full hollow ground Thistle Cut 5/8. It sailed through my mug whiskers floating on that slick MWF lather I like so much in 2 1/2 passes with that last half pass consisting of scything strokes on my neck. I finished up with some final flatblading which left me oh-so-smooth.

The dome shave that followed featured my FrankenFamex. This particular razor consists of an ATT Atlas handle, my second Famex baseplate, and a Rockwell top cap. It is much heftier in hand than it’s more thoroughbred regular Famex cousin, thanks to the beefier handle. I adjusted it for a more efficient cut, and the two ATG passes checked all the boxes leaving my noggin cool, clean and velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: Thistle Cut 5/8 (Mug), FrankenFamex (Dome)
BRUSH: JSpartan Sapele/Resin Handled Pro48 Omega Boar
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue SOC 2-band Finest
TOBS Cedarwood shave crm
Razorock Gamechanger .84P
Personna Medical Prep day 2
C.O. Bigelow No. 047 Toner
Chanel Platinum Egoiste edt
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Shaves are better on film!

Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Brut
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

69CE0210-210D-42BB-806F-57814A963F60.jpeg
69CE0210-210D-42BB-806F-57814A963F60.jpeg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 4221 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 27, 2021

Really enjoyed my mug shave this morning. My Dubl Duck Goldedge 11/16 is an amazing shaver that I have sadly neglected. It handily cleared away my mug stubble in three passes. The brush my son made for me performed beautifully. The Silvertip Badger fan knot felt really good on both my mug and noggin as it spread the slick MWF lather across the shave surfaces. The Valet VC1 fitted with a new despined and modified Gem blade was just as capable following the mug shave and left my noggin smooth and clean after two ATG passes.

RAZOR: Dubl Duck Goldedge 11/16 (Mug), Valet Autostrop VC1 (Dome)
BLADE: Pella PTFE Gem
BRUSH: BG Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Fine Platinum AS Splash.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Ash Semogue SOC boar
TOBS Cedarwood cream
Razorock Gamechanger
Personna Medical Prep
Bigelow No. 047 Tonic
Terre d'Hermes EDT 8)
Regards,
Tim

pausted

Post by pausted »

PdP #63 soap
Proraso Boar brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Nivea Cooling balm
Tabac aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

One more SOTD on film, using a half-frame 50+ year old Olympus Pen F this time:

Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

B43CDCE8-E2F8-47DB-A0CE-11FA76C4B779.jpeg
B43CDCE8-E2F8-47DB-A0CE-11FA76C4B779.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 4170 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 28, 2021

As we wind down on OC October, I decided to pull out some classics for this morning’s mug and noggin shaves. One of the first razors I acquired was this Puma 88. I was looking for a round toed 5/8 and this razor was offered up in trade a few years ago for two of my Gillette TTOs, a Super Speed and a Blue Tip. As far as I was concerned we both came away happy. The edge on this hollow ground Solingen blade is superb, and two and a half passes with some final flatblading this morning attested to this fact, leaving me porcelain smooth.

I always enjoy shaving with this Gem Model 1912. There’s just something about the great-looking Art Deco handle and it’s heft in hand that just feels right to me. I enjoy my DEs, but really like the rigidity a Gem blade provides. Blade chatter isn’t a concept that makes sense with respect to Gems, injector or AC blades, and is the reason I dumped the Blue Tip and Super Speed. The only DEs I have all clamp the blade well and still any chatter. This little vintage razor put the baby to bed on my noggin in two silent ATG passes, leaving me velveteen smooth from shoulders to dome.

RAZOR: Puma 88 5/8 (Mug), Gem Model 1912
BLADE: Pella PTFE Gem
BRUSH: JR Rosewood Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Fine Lavender Pour Homme AS Splash.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue SOC Taj Mistura
Taylor of Old Bond Cedar
RR Gamechanger .84P DE
Personna Med Prep day 4
Bigelow Rosewater Tonic
Missoni Parfum Pour Homme
Regards,
Tim

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

A/S: Gillette Aftershave Gel, Sensitive Skin
Cologne / Fragrance: Primitive Man

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

A/S: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne / Fragrance: Primitive Man

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

06FEA94A-8FEC-4AE5-A8C0-A88A88880A6B.png
06FEA94A-8FEC-4AE5-A8C0-A88A88880A6B.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 4111 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 29, 2021

Since we’re close to the end of the month I decided to start with my noggin instead of my mug! This morning’s dome shave featured my Leresche 51 Luxe. I’ve been neglecting this superb OC shaver, and was reminded of it by a friend last night who’s considering acquiring one. I own three Leresche razors, a 51, a 61, and a 77. I’ll probably be getting rid of the 61, one of the few three piece safety razors manufactured by the company. It's a good shaver, just not in the same category as the other two. The 51 is one of my finest vintage safety razors. It sheared away my dome stubble in two ATG passes leaving my noggin wonderfully smooth.

Instead of the usual MWF, I pulled out my tub of Wholly Kaw’s King of Oud. It’s a decent soap, but not in the same category as MWF, Castle Forbes, or Nancy Boy. The Viking Silvertip Badger did an excellent job generating the two types of lather I like for my shaves. The post shave feel just isn’t there for me with this soap. The Wade & Butcher 7/8 is another sadly neglected razor in my den. Its Sheffield blade holds a great edge which I touched up last night on the Swaty and constroption. Two and 1/2 passes left me dolphin smooth. BarberDave of the Shaving Cadre forum has moved my straight shaves to a new level of smooth with his flatblading technique.

RAZOR: Wade & Butcher 7/8 (Mug), Leresche 51 Luxe (Dome)
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: King of Oud
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Ash Semogue SOC boar
TOBS Cedarwood cream
Razorock GC .84 razor
Medical Prep shave #5
Bigelow No. 047 Tonic
Dunhill Icon EDP spray
Regards,
Tim

pausted

Post by pausted »

Sudsy Soapery Almond and Vanilla soap
WCS Tuxedo synthetic brush
Rockwell 6C razor-plate #5
King C Gillette blade
Proraso White balm
Tabac aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

73C1BCF2-5E4E-4AC9-93B0-83247B294B5F.png
73C1BCF2-5E4E-4AC9-93B0-83247B294B5F.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 4065 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 30, 2021

The JR Boar #374 whipped up the two kinds of lather I enjoy for my shaves. The Castle Forbes Lavender really smelled great this morning. I was really in the mood for a lavender shave, and feeling lazy since I hadn’t prepared a straight last night. So I grabbed the Tedalus and loaded a fresh Feather Super. This barber’s razor just feels great in hand, and shaves my mug exactly like any of my best straights. Two passes followed by some focused neck buffing and flatblading left the mug dolphin smooth.

Since there’s only two dome shaves left for OC October, I decided to finish the month off with my two favorite Gillette OC’s. Today’s noggin shave featured my Gillette New Standard. While not a Gillette TTO fanboy, by any means, I do enjoy shaving with their original Old Type (OT). But my absolute favorite Gillettes are any of their New series models that followed the OT. That particular head design works well for me, and never fails to deliver a top tier, barber’s grade dome shave as it did this morning. Two ATG passes and I was velveteen smooth from dome to shoulders.

RAZOR: Tedalus Essence (Mug), Gillette New Standard (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super (Mug), Feather DE (Dome)
BRUSH: JR Boar #374
CREAM: Castle Forbes Lavender
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Thayers WH. Finished with Fine Lavender Pour Homme and Chatillon Lux Lavender Toner.