Shaving soap or cream of the day

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Shaving soap or cream of the day

Post by fallingwickets »

trumpers rose soap... =D> =D> =D>
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

The rotation brings up the AOS Sandalwood shaving cream for the next few weeks, what a great performing cream. The boar brush did a fine job too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just finished off a two week run of AOS Peppermint shaving cream. Next up is the famous long-discontinued AOS tallow sandalwood soap. Looking forward to the experience.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

This month's shaving soaps are a couple of Fine Accoutrements offerings - Snake Bite, and my only remaining vetiver - Green. I put these in stick format and face-loading works great.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

trumpers rose ....100000 thumbs up

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

February's soap of choice is Black Tie tallow soap from the late great Strop Shoppe.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

brothers wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:34 am February's soap of choice is Black Tie tallow soap from the late great Strop Shoppe.
never heard of great strop or the soap.....im imagining its decent stuff if you're using it?? :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:03 am
brothers wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:34 am February's soap of choice is Black Tie tallow soap from the late great Strop Shoppe.
never heard of great strop or the soap.....im imagining its decent stuff if you're using it?? :D

clive
Yes, it's one of the best ever (according to me!). Unfortunately, they shut it down just a few months after I placed my first order. Here's an edited excerpt taken from a review I posted 6 years ago:
brothers wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:12 pm
The performance of this soap feels a bit like going for a spontaneous hike in the desert and stumbling onto the Lost Dutchman gold mine of shaving soap. The lather is the shiny, non-sudsy or bubbly thick and rich cushiony and slick meringue that does not dissipate.

Strop Shoppe Shaving Soap --- Since 2012, located about 25 miles from me, in Norman, OK. A treasure that was right in front of me, but I failed to see it until now. It's received positive reviews on the shaving forums but I had not purchased or used it until just recently. I may be slow, but thank goodness I finally got around to buying some of their soap. I have absolutely no connection with this vendor or product. This is a superior tallow shaving soap that lathers in the outstanding manner I have described above. Strop Shoppe leaves the skin feeling powdery and ultra soft and smooth. Cushiony and slick, as well. Comes in a variety of well-formulated masculine scents that indicate someone has a real talent for creating fragrances. Shipping is lightning fast, and Strop Shoppe gives a discount to military and veterans, upon request. I ordered 4 fragrances, and they kindly gave me samples of two others. My communications with the vendor have gone smoothly and without delay.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This month's soap is Penhaligon's English Fern w/tallow and long gone. So far it's yielded 103 shaves. Soon to be all used up, but still covering the bottom of the bowl.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The English Fern lasted 104 shaves. Gone but not forgotten! At the very end, the leftover was not actually usable. It was a little wafer of something that used to be shaving soap spinning around in the bottom of the bowl while the brush was chasing it. The lather was obviously sub-par. So it had to go and leave behind a great many happy memories. Rest in peace little puck! :D
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

rip little puck 8-[
brothers

Post by brothers »

Cracked open a big NOS tub of Alpine Frost Strop Shoppe shaving soap with tallow and menthol. What a shame it's no longer offered. I'm lucky to have a couple of these tubs which should last a long time.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday - opened up the other NOS Strop Shoppe soap - Date Night. Good all around. Thick rich lather, nice fragrance.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's lather was provided by Taylors Sandalwood cream. The Zenith boar brush was outstanding. It took me a while to figure it out, but the boar doesn't work as well as badger when face-lathering the soaps. My shaving creams are in 3 brands, Taylors, Harris, and AOS. I'm going to use the boar more often when I'm using a cream.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's shaving cream was Taylors Peppermint. Good stuff!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

First time using Harris "29" shaving cream. Zenith boar brush did the honors and gave me an excellent lather. I'll be using Harris cream and soap throughout the month of April.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

dr harris: arlington Makes for a decent change-up :D
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

trumpers rose soap......soap gods gift to mankind :D :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

Joris - associated with Plisson - shaving soap, no tallow ingredient, doesn't need tallow to provide lather equal or better than any other soap lather I've ever tried.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

plisson's soap ranks as my most unappreciated soap of all time....a 1000 thumbs up 'hidden' gem

clive