Safety Razor of the Day

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
brothers

Re: Safety Razor of the Day

Post by brothers »

Finished off 30 great shaves with the Kai blade today. The General gets a month off if all goes according to plan. I'm hoping to shave every day of July with one of 15 of my favorite straight razors. I'm eager to see how tomorrow goes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

So far so good with the daily straight razors. After 6 consecutive days, considering the stress a straight razor places on skin that's not used to it, I used the Noxzema/Kai twin blade disposable this morning.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Still giving the face a break, this morning's razor was the Noxzema/Kai twin blade disposable.
I've got 9 more straight razors I want to use this month, so there's no rush about the daily routine.
Why a disposable? I needed something not known for smooth and close shaves.
The disposables reduce the stubble while remaining comfortable on the skin.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

There are 4 remaining of my 15 straight razors to be used during the month of July. I'm spacing them out over the next two weeks. While the General continues to rest until August I'm filling the days between straight razors with disposables. I've used two of them so far. First was the Noxzema/Kai twin blade, and it did just fine. As of today I used the Feather II disposable twin blade, and it was also very good for a disposable.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's shave (October 1) was #1 on a new Schick Proline 30 blade. Yesterday's near-perfect shave was #30 on the Kai Captain Original blade.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Marking the passage of the blades. The Schick Proline 30 has been replaced with the Kai Captain Original for the Month of November.
Gary

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

For the past two nights (and probably tonight) I've been using a brand-new RazoRock SLOC head from Italian Barber.
RazoRock SLOC on RR Barber Pole SS_2952.JPG
RazoRock SLOC on RR Barber Pole SS_2952.JPG (324.01 KiB) Viewed 6853 times
I mostly got it because it cost just enough to push my order total over the minimum for free shipping.
I use it on a RR Barber Pole SS handle that I'd gotten a few years ago with a RR Old Type head. The blade was a Shaverboy Super Stainless (2nd & 3rd use).
I am very impressed at how mild it feels, yet it gave me the closest shave I've had in months. I would rate it higher than all my other open-comb razors. (RazoRock Old Type, Gillette Single-Ring Old, Gillette Goodwill, and Gillette Long-Comb New.)
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

John Rose wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:17 pm For the past two nights (and probably tonight) I've been using a brand-new RazoRock SLOC head from Italian Barber.
RazoRock SLOC on RR Barber Pole SS_2952.JPG

I mostly got it because it cost just enough to push my order total over the minimum for free shipping.
I use it on a RR Barber Pole SS handle that I'd gotten a few years ago with a RR Old Type head. The blade was a Shaverboy Super Stainless (2nd & 3rd use).
I am very impressed at how mild it feels, yet it gave me the closest shave I've had in months. I would rate it higher than all my other open-comb razors. (RazoRock Old Type, Gillette Single-Ring Old, Gillette Goodwill, and Gillette Long-Comb New.)
John, that's a beauty. It is the same design as a similar razor that was (is?) sold by Phoenix a while back. I still have mine somewhere, and I am reminded of the results you describe. Feels mild, but provides a very close shave. Thanks for posting this!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning's smooth shave was day 15 on the Schick Proline blade.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This month and from now on I'll only be shaving every other day. For a while I'll also alternate every other shave between the General SE and a straight razor of my choosing. Today's razor was the General.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been about 3 weeks since I've used the General . I was busy testing some favorite straight razors, as well as my own skill in sharpening them and using them. It was shave #1 with a new Kai Captain blade. This was a very enjoyable shave.
Gary

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

brothers wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:31 amJohn, that's a beauty. It is the same design as a similar razor that was (is?) sold by Phoenix a while back. I still have mine somewhere, and I am reminded of the results you describe. Feels mild, but provides a very close shave. Thanks for posting this!
I've never seen the PAA DOC in real life, so I wouldn't know.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, yeah it's the same. It's a good design, but as we all know, not everyone will find it to be their cup of tea.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

End of the month means the trusty Schick Proline blade yields to the equally trusty Kai Captain Original.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

For the last 2 or 3 shaves I've been using an old somewhat ornate handle with one of the old Schick double-blade disposable cartridges.

(EDIT: The handle is Estee Lauder aftermarket Trac II handle, and the cartridge is Schick Super II)
Gary