Safety Razor of the Day

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
brothers

Re: Safety Razor of the Day

Post by brothers »

The Schick Proline blade has been loaded for the month of September.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

For the past 4 mornings, my razor of the day has been the newly redesigned General from Colonial razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Last Friday I refered to a "rescue razor", a 1946 Aristocrat.
1946 Aristocrat polished_6878.JPG
1946 Aristocrat polished_6878.JPG (495.15 KiB) Viewed 10296 times
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

1946 Aristocrat, in the "before" state:
1946 Aristocrat top_before__6794.JPG
1946 Aristocrat top_before__6794.JPG (513.88 KiB) Viewed 10296 times
It was unpleasant to use (felt rough) in that condition.
The restoration (such as it is, because I did not replate it) involved working up from #320 grit to #1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then buffing compound (blue I think?) on an 8" cotton wheel.
The end caps were missing when I got it.

(For some reason I could not have both attached images in the same post.)
brothers

Post by brothers »

John that's a part of our beloved SMF. One's good, rwo's not likely. Offsite imaging sources are the way to go for multiples. I'd like to see the finished product. 😃
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John, so it appears that you have polished the razor down to the brass under the previous gold plating, right?

It does look a lot better.

I have three Aristocrats, myself: A 1946/47 model, a 1948+ (apparently this represented some change to the blade geometry, as well as the new blade dispensers), and an Aristocrat Adjustable (actually a gold-plated slim adjustable). The first two ("true" Aristocrats) are a bit aggressive for me, but they are lovely razors.

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:43 pm John, so it appears that you have polished the razor down to the brass under the previous gold plating, right?
Yup. I had nothing to lose by it. All that was left of the gold on the top of the head was a 1 mm strip along the edge of each door where they meet the centre bar. You can see how deep the scratches and gouges were. I have no idea how that could happen in normal use.

I took it easy on the guard bar because I did not want to lose the little scallops completely. I think I even taped them over to protect them from the sandpapers, then removed the tape for the buffing wheel.
There were also small grey spots of solder on the ends where the end caps used to be. They were tricky to buff out because I did not want the wheel to grab it and throw it at high velocity onto my foot or the floor. [-o<
Now I just have to use a bit of Brasso every couple of months or so, to get rid of the spots that inevitably develop.
brothers wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:24 pm I'd like to see the finished product. 😃
It's right there, in the previous post - viewtopic.php?p=695267#p695267
brothers wrote:John that's a part of our beloved SMF. One's good, rwo's not likely.
I thought it might be something like that. It was weird because they looked okay in the preview, then when submitted it would say that the second image was not available.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nice job of polishing, John!
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Colonial General / Kai Captain Original
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

First of the month, new blade. This month's blade is the Kai Captain in the New General razor.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Colonial General / Feather Pro
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that the blade has provided 26 great shaves this month, today I loaded it into the brass General V1. This is the second month in a row that I've done this, and for some reason it seems to be slightly different in performance --- in a positive way. The well used blade feels sharper somehow, ready to go another round of <perfect> shaves. On the first of the month, we'll change back once again to the V2 General and the new blade.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Schick Proline ended the 30 day run this morning. Once my blade has given up 15 or 20 shaves in the General V2, changing to the larger brass General V1 seems to be a natural match. The cut feels as smooth as a new blade. Nothing wrong with the V2, but an unidentified subtle course correction brings out a new and different dimension to the well-used edge.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

On schedule, December was kicked off with a new Kai Captain Original blade in the General V2. Super smooth and comfortable.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Colonial General / Kai Captain Original
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I did use the brass General V1 for a few days at the end of December, and after 31 great shaves, the Kai Captain Original blade was used every day. Now we're back to the V2 stainless with a new Schick 30 Proline for the month of January.
Gary

Executive Shaving

Post by Executive Shaving »

Get the first look at the all-new Outlaw Stainless Steel Safety Razor. Watch the video here: http://bit.ly/OutlawStainlessSteelSafetyRazorVideo
all-stainless-steel-double-edge-safety-razor-execuitve-shaving.JPG
all-stainless-steel-double-edge-safety-razor-execuitve-shaving.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 9512 times
Watch the video here: http://bit.ly/OutlawStainlessSteelSafetyRazorVideo
brothers

Post by brothers »

The only difference in today's shave was the substitution of the brass General for the General V2. Didn't change blades though. The Schick Proline has yielded 27 smooth shaves so far this month.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Still using the V2 General every day. The past 31 days have been presented courtesy of the Schick Proline. Even though every shave every day from 1 to 31 has been faultless, I'm going to discard the blade just as I do every month. At the end of today's shave I asked myself if maybe I should just leave the Schick in the razor and see how long it will yield perfect results, but this isn't a marathon. It'll be retired with honors.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Kai Captain Original blade is off to a good start. Looking forward to the rest of this month with it.
Gary