SOTD August 3, - August 9, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
primotenore

Re: SOTD August 3, - August 9, 2020

Post by primotenore »

Friday, August 7
IMG_5139.jpeg
IMG_5139.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 3705 times
Eufros Tobacco~~Rooney~~Feather AC/Professional Super
IMG_5141.jpeg
IMG_5141.jpeg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3705 times
Have a great day!
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

SOTD FRIDAY, AUGUST 7, 2020

Glad to be able to post a shave again after having lost power from a local tornado this past Tuesday in the wake of Hurricane Isaias. We were notified that power wouldn’t be restored until this Sunday. After three days my neighbor called our local Congressman and lo and behold about an hour later a power crew showed up to clear the two trees blocking our neighborhood’s sole access. Power was restored shortly thereafter. The shave was extremely enjoyable. With all the talk lately about Gillette New models, I selected one of the best vintage shavers I own, my New LC for the dome shave and neck cleanup.

Before my shower I soaked the Rooney Badger brush and bloomed the MWF in warm water. The shave began with a cold water rinse and a good scrub of both mug and noggin with the Rabid Banana Preshave Cube. The Rooney brush whipped up a great, cooling, wet lather to the mug and a thick protective lather to the noggin thanks to the 6 drops of M-Bomb added earlier to the shave bowl. My straight razor technique is slowly improving. I can easily achieve a VBBS above the jawline. It’s that danged, saggy, old-man neck that presents issues.

My safety razor technique has improved immeasurably, thanks to the skin-stretching and attention to shave angle learned from using straights. Despite that it seems that I’ll never achieve a VBBS below the neck with the straight razor alone. One thing I have noticed is that Ben’s new 30k grit jnat finishing stone has resulted in incredibly sharp straights. His hair pinging demo yesterday on this Damascus straight used this morning scared the bejeezus out of yours truly. His talk of “velvet, buttery” edges didn’t help! But it did give the notion of ‘negative pressure’ new meaning.

So despite a glasslike finish above the jawline, below is a challenge. There’s my terror about using the scary sharp straights my son is returning to me. His new honemeister guru from up around the Boston area doesn’t believe in stropping. He apparently advocates for a weekly touch up on the 30k stone. I will say that the razors he returns to me are very sharp. It did feel like I was just brushing away the lather above the jawline. The New LC did a tremendous job on my neck cleanup and was a joy to use on the dome. I'm on my 10th shave with the Suneko DE blade, although I think it’s coming to the end of the trail. After three days without a shave I feel cool, clean and amazingly velveteen!

RAZOR: CKA Damascus Koa Wood Scales 6/8 (Mug), Gillette New LC (Dome)
BLADE: Suneko (10)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.
6CF000A4-3707-4651-B45E-BFCFB45A6C85.jpeg
6CF000A4-3707-4651-B45E-BFCFB45A6C85.jpeg (504.21 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Adolph Blaich (C🐓C) 5/8, homemade soap, Rooney finest, Creed Millesime Imperial:

SOTD070720.jpg
SOTD070720.jpg (104.1 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
Adolph Blaich was a barber supply shop in San Francisco, selling German razors, mostly from J.S.Höller. I haven't been able to confirm if the C 🐓C logo was one of Höller's, but it is a great little shaver. After a lot of searching I found a second Blaich/Höller, which you'll see here tomorrow. Both were rescaled by some guy on the old Yahoo SRP.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:20 am Thiers Issard Straightrazorplace special edition #73, homemade soap, Simpson PL8, Trumper's Spanish Leather:

SOTD030820.jpg

The razor must have been issued about 2004 or 2005. TI were already selling razors with laser etched shanks rather then the old stamped shanks, and plainly they had the equipment given the markings on the blade. Perhaps they were happy to move out some old stock for a group buy. The boxwood scales are laser cut with the word 'Straightrazorplace' and the reverse of the blade has more laser etching:

Old Thiers Issards made with Sheffield steel were pretty nice shavers and this one performs just as you'd want.
A real treasure!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Friday SOTN - Even more exploration of the PIF contents.
razor - Canadian Long-Comb New
blade - Shaverboy Stainless Steel (8)
soap - Godrej Shaving Round (new to me)
brush -Omega 10086 Travel Boar
post - warm water rinse, "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Pinaud Clubman Vanilla
music - CHMA-FM 106.9 campus radio / "Friday Night Sock Hop"

Result were great again, a BBS.

First time using Godrej. All the way from Mumbai? Pretty good for only six ingredients, and none of them a tallowate. I got a bit of a scent of Anise from it.
It conveniently fit in the depression at the bottom of my lather bowl, so I lathered it up in the bowl then took the puck out and put it back into the container.
The size of the puck and ease of lathering would make it a good candidate for using in a traditional-style scuttle.
How is it pronounced, though? "GOD-redge"? "go-DREJH"? "God-ray"?

Shaverboy blade is still good the 8th time.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, AUGUST 8, 2020

Another excellent shave this morning! VBBS above the jawline and DFS+ below. I remain in awe of the superb shaves delivered by my Gillette New LC, a razor that was neglected far too long! Remembering how happy I was with the Fine SS New LC homage razor, I will say that the original remains the one to beat! I hadn’t shaved with this razor for months, and had forgotten how efficient it was.

One pass cleaned up around the AA and below the goat! The Rooney brush was a delight to use. It is a face latherer’s dream brush! It has an indescribable almost paradoxical soft firmness that delivered the perfect wet straight shaver’s lather to my mug. And when required, generated a thick protective lather to the noggin. The head shave felt really good, and this superb, vintage shaving tool opened the door to my favorite feeling of clean, cool, velveteen bliss!

RAZOR: Lord 6/8 (Mug), Gillette New LC (Dome)
BLADE: Polsilver
BRUSH: Rooney Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
BB2EA711-FFC1-45AA-B5E4-71A26C7A08D0.jpeg
BB2EA711-FFC1-45AA-B5E4-71A26C7A08D0.jpeg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 3678 times
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The second Adolph Blaich/J.S.Höller 5/8, Erasmic cream, Simpson E3, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve:

SOTD080720.jpg
SOTD080720.jpg (121.13 KiB) Viewed 3670 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

Saturday, August 8
IMG_5148.jpeg
IMG_5148.jpeg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 3665 times
BAUME.BE~~Simpson Milk Churn~~Fatip Lo Storto/Astra~~Old Spice Leather
Have a great day!
~~~~~
Primo

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Saturday SOTN
- Even more exploration of the PIF contents.
razor - Gillette Slim L4
blade - Shaverboy Stainless Steel (9)
soap - Cold River Soap Works' Select "Citrus" (new to me)
brush - Simpson Special 1
post - warm water rinse, DSA "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Proraso Blue balm, Jōvan Ginseng N•R•G Cologne
music - CHMA-FM 106.9 campus radio

Shaverboy blade - still good. Officially passed the "less than 1¢ per shave" milestone.

CRSW Select "Citrus" - mostly a grapefruit scent, and different from anything else I have. This soap performed well enough, so I'll have no problem using it up, but I doubt I'd go out of my way to buy more of it. If it was still available. Which it is not, currently.

Jōvan Ginseng N•R•G Cologne - I found this in the back of a dresser drawer a little while ago. No idea when I got it. SWMBO says she likes it. Maybe she bought it for me once upon a time.
It's okay. I can't say that it's making me feel particularly more N•R•Getic.
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, AUGUST 9, 2020

Today I shaved with a straight I haven’t used before. It’s a NOS A. Witte complete with an enclosed note saying “honed by Henrey 1939”. I swapped a brand new EJ89 I’d purchased as a gift for my 15 yr old grandson which he had returned to me for it. Despite the note, Ben reset the bevel with his honing toys. It shaved beautifully, with the usual results, VBBS above the jawline and DFS on the neck. My Type I Hydromagic Injector cleaned up the neck and delivered a good clean VBBS to the noggin. All in all an excellent way to start the day! I feel refreshed, cool, clean and acceptably velveteen!

RAZOR: A. Witte Copperhead 6/8 (Mug), Hydromagic Type I Injector (Dome)
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
54BFB5A5-AEFA-40FE-86B2-AB9AB80991B5.jpeg
54BFB5A5-AEFA-40FE-86B2-AB9AB80991B5.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 3639 times
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

Sunday, August 9
IMG_5154.jpeg
IMG_5154.jpeg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 3639 times
Mike's Bay Rum~~Rubberset 400/3~~Heljestrand MK 32~~Dominica
IMG_5155.jpeg
IMG_5155.jpeg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 3639 times
Have a great day!
~~~~~
Primo

pausted

Post by pausted »

AOS Peppermint cream
Yaqi White synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Pinaud Brandy Spice aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Abraham Knyn 4/8 wedge, Knize soap, Simpson Major, Knize Ten:

SOTD090820.jpg
SOTD090820.jpg (104.93 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Saturday SOTD - still more exploration of the PIF contents.

razor - British Flare-Tip Rocket
blade - Shaverboy Stainless Steel (10)
soap - Stirling Noir (new to me)
brush - Stirling 2-Band Synthetic
post - warm water rinse, DSA "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Clubman Musk
music - CHMA-FM 106.9 campus radio
This was a change for me, shaving in daylight ☀️ (4 pm). Because Lawnmowing Shower Shaving.
Still sticking with the Shaverboy blade.
Somewhere between a DFS and a BBS.
The soap (from a 30 g sample jar) was pretty good. Apparently the scent (faint as it was) is a clone of Drakkar Noir. I'll have to take their word for it, not having smelled Drakkar Noir. The soap is discontinued, but the scent lives on as an EdT.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sunday night:

Razor: Rockwell 6C (on setting/plate 2)
Blade: Tíz (excellent blade from Iran)

Brush: Asylum BG-7 (synthetic)
Soap: Tim's Soap, Prototype S6

Lather made on top of the soap
Two-and-a-half passes

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and Thayer's Peach Witch Hazel