SOTD August 17 - August 23, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD August 17 - August 23, 2020

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Afta
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: SOTD August 17 - August 23, 2020

Post by fallingwickets »

tulip 3
coates cream: lime
gillette rubie

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

TI Super Gnome 6/8 #2, homemade soap, Omega synthetic, Taylor's No.74 Victorian Limes:

SOTD170820.jpg
SOTD170820.jpg (105.42 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Fine Green Vetiver
SilkSmoke synthetic
General V2
Schick Proline
Superior 70
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Monday AM 2020-08-17
National Cupcake Day

Rooney Emillion 2 Tiger Stripe Finest (24/53)
Ethos Lavender shaving soft soap
LASSC BBS-1
Gillette Super Stainless 'Spoiler' (1)
Ethos Lavender splash
_______
John
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

SOTD MONDAY MORNING, AUGUST 17, 2020

Today will be an auspicious day! My new Tradere arrives along with a freshly cut jasper hone. But the best part of my day was my head shave! A good Japanese friend, Toshi, who I used to work with, and is also actively involved in our hobby, sent me a magazine of Schick Twinjector blades when he heard I owned a Supply V2 SS razor. He recommended my trying it for a head shave. Now these blades are much thicker than regular injector blades and were designed with their own blade holder in mind. They can be problematic to load into the traditional models preceding the Type L. He claimed they wouldn’t work with the Hydromagic, but I was able to load a blade in mine with the key.

A head shaver himself, he recommended using the 3 Dot plate on the Supply and manually loading a twinjector blade. I did as he suggested, but did notice that the attachment screw wouldn’t Tighten all the way. In any case, the head shave was every bit as good as my AC razor shaves loaded with a Feather Super. He claims he’s gotten up to 40 shaves on one of these blades. All I know is that the VBBS on my head feels great! Every bit the equivalent of an AC razor shave. There was no difference in feel at all that I could pinpoint.

Ben was over quite early today and honed my Lord straight razor with his barber hone sized jasper stone and water to a gleaming cutting edge. What I found curious was his killing the edge on the face of the stone before beginning. He explained that it removed accumulated chaff from the honing process. Regardless, the shave with the touched up razor was different than I have experienced before. I felt like I was just brushing the lather away. The resulting face shave was the best I’ve experienced with a straight razor. VBBS above the jawline, and just about a VBBS- below that I easily cleaned up With the Twinjector loaded Supply razor. Unbelievably close! I feel cool, very clean and exquisitely velveteen!

RAZOR: Lord 6/8 (Mug), SS Supply V2 (Dome)
BLADE: Schick InjectorII (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
0DD0EED0-691F-4B10-ADE2-02039C28170E.jpeg
0DD0EED0-691F-4B10-ADE2-02039C28170E.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 4752 times
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

Monday, August 17
IMG_5239.jpeg
IMG_5239.jpeg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 4747 times
Stirling Clubman~~Simpson KH4~~RR Game Changer/Wizamet Super Iridium~~Pinaud Clubman
Have a great day!
~~~~~
Primo

Shaving since 1971, enjoying my shaves since 2014
Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità... =D>
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Monday SOTN - new stuff to play with
razor - Gillette '46 Aristocrat
blade - Shaverboy Stainless Steel (18)
soap - Tabac
brush - Fendrihan Classic Pure Grey Badger Shaving Brush - Faux Amber (brand new)
post - warm water rinse, DSA "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Clubman Pinaud Classic Vanilla Aftershave Lotion
music - streaming JPopSuki Radio

A BBS tonight.

the new brush:
Knot diameter: 22 mm
Bristle loft: 60 mm
Handle height: 50 mm
Overall height: 100 mm
Fendrihan Classic Pure Grey Badger Shaving Brush - Faux Amber
Fendrihan Classic Pure Grey Badger Shaving Brush - Faux Amber
Fendrihan Badger brush_0751.JPG (940.06 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
I wanted to try a badger a bit bigger than the 20 mm knot on my Simpson Special 1, without spending much $$$. I do recognize that this is probably the lowest grade of badger possible. It was all of CAD$27.
Now I know what people mean by "scritchy". Dry, right out of the box, it felt like dozens of tiny needles on my cheek. After a pre-soak it was a somewhat better, and I rather like it in spite of the scritch. I like it better than any of my vintage and new boars. I suspect the face-feel will improve with use. It made great lather out of the Tabac tub.
It also had that "wet dog" smell, once it got wet. My Simpsons didn't have that. I may have to do the vinegar/shampoo/conditioner thing to it.
I like the handle too, when the light shine through it.

The ceramic (looks like white glass) Tabac tub has some nice ribs around the bottom to keep the puck from spinning.
The lid is somewhat loose, but there was just enough clearance that I could put a wide elastic band (from a bunch of broccoli?) around the inner rim, and now it's fairly snug so the soap won't dry out too soon.
Tabac is now in my top 5 or 6 list of favourite soaps. =D>
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Soap: Tabac
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Family Dollar Spice Scent
Cologne / Fragrance: Guerlain Vetiver

Mike
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

Tuesday, August 18
IMG_5254.jpeg
IMG_5254.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 4712 times
Santa Maria Novella~~Simpson PL8~~1908 Gillette/Wizamet SI~~Aramis
IMG_5257.jpeg
IMG_5257.jpeg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 4712 times
Have a great day!
~~~~~
Primo

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, AUGUST 18, 2020

Today my shave featured two new shaving tools. One was a new/old Tanifuji Airi Shaving Sword (hey, that’s how it was marketed) and the other my brand new Tradere. I’d been reading about Japanese straights and Silver Steel when Ben called my attention to this straight razor available from a friend of his in NYC who’s apparently also a vintage Japanese straight razor nut. 95% of Ben’s vintage Straights are Japanese. He sold most of his Sheffield and Solingen straights. Only has a few collectibles in those categories. The razor arrived yesterday, passed the tilt ‘n wobble test with flying colors, and was touched up by Ben on his 20k jnat. Well fellers, I now understand what you mean by buttery, velvet edge! This was without doubt the best straight shave I’ve ever had, albeit with the same DFS below the jawline!

Enter the Tradere! At 118.5 grams it feels great in the hand. Shane of Blackland was 100% faithful to the original design, and I understand now why its entry eight years ago rocked the wet shaving community! It’s simply an incredible shaver. Loaded with a Feather blade, it cleaned up my neck Shearing away the stubble right down to the skin line while gliding along on its mentholated MWF lather cushion. There was little, if any, blade feel, but boy did it do the job. One and a half passes (ATG, ATG) on the noggin tucked the baby in and put him right to bed! It’s a combination of the weight coupled with the almost complete lack of auditory feedback. I was contacted by Wolfman regarding my order, but after this shave have no interest in pursuing it. This is without doubt one of, if not, the best modern artisan safety razors in my den! I feel cool, refreshed, clean and supremely velveteen!

RAZOR: Tanifuji Airi Silver Steel Shaving Sword (Mug), Blackland Tradere (Dome)
BLADE: Polsilver
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.
66EEA701-23DD-45F9-9131-10A57BE0A800.jpeg
66EEA701-23DD-45F9-9131-10A57BE0A800.jpeg (4.52 MiB) Viewed 4709 times
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
churchilllafemme

Tuesday AM 2020-08-18
National Bad Poetry Day

Rooney Emillion 2 Porcelain-Jade Finest (24/55)
Floris No. 89 shaving soap (tallow)
Carbon Damascus Athena/Tibam Antique Brass
Gillette Super Stainless 'Spoiler' (2)
Floris No. 89 aftershave (vintage)
_______
John
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

National Mail Order Catalog Day
From Sears 1934:
The author's comments for it —
James Lileks wrote:New modern unmanned drive-themselves bikes! The motion lines prove it! (Attacking bird not included.) Now with the new Tooth-Chip'r handlebar crossbeam!
Not the most graceful page; there's just stuff all over. Elgin is still around - although in a cruel twist of fate,they now make the opposite of bikes: school furniture.
"The opposite of bikes" never gets old. :lol:

⤜Tuesday SOTN➝

razor - Edwin Jagger DE87
blade - Shaverboy Stainless Steel (19)
soap - Proraso Red Cream (first time using the cream version)
brush - Fendrihan Classic Pure Grey Badger Shaving Brush
post - warm water rinse, DSA "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Proraso Red aftershave splash
music - C-103 "Rock of the Atlantic"

Still getting at least a DFS from the Shaverboy.
I daresay I might like the Proraso Red cream better than the croap.
After this second use, the brush is a bit less smelly, and maybe a wee bit less scritchy.

@jgreenepa - The handle on that Tradere is pretty spiffy-looking. =P~
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

TI Loup et Bellier 5/8 olivewood, homemade soap, Shavemac 22368, Pecksniff Fougere:

SOTD190820.jpg
SOTD190820.jpg (102.55 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Interesting shave with this, as I limited the razor to a coticule only. A very close and very sharp shave, but not quite as comfortable as one finished on the Arkansas stones.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

Wednesday, August 19
IMG_5259.jpeg
IMG_5259.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 4667 times
Floris 89~~Rubberset 400/3~~2011 Mühle R41/Wizamet SI
IMG_5260.jpeg
IMG_5260.jpeg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 4667 times
Have a great day!
~~~~~
Primo

churchilllafemme

Wednesday AM 2020-08-19

Rooney 3/2 Ivory Finest (24/58)
Harrods by Floris shaving soap (tallow)
Wolfman WR1-SB Titanium/WRH7 Ti
Gillette Super Stainless 'Spoiler' (3)
Ginger's Garden Ginger Blossom aftershave
_______
John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Interesting to see Floris keeping up the stearate content, as stearates are available from vegetable origin and can simulate half the effect of tallowates. I have a wooden bowl of old tallow No.89 soap, and it's very good.

The whole nonsense of traditional soap makers reformulating to be friendly to vegetarians and vegans conturbat me. I'm sure they will make less profit as a result, as their soaps suffer and wet shavers go where the results are, or make them for themselves, as I do.
I get to eat meat two or three times a year, living with a 50-year vegetarian wife who has been unable to travel as much as usual for some months now (I only get to cook and eat meat when she is away). Oddly, she wears leather shoes, and doesn't mind home made soap with lard in the recipe, but there we are. Were it not for other factors, no doubt I'd live longer for my very occasional meat consumption. But we somehow get along, just as traditional soapmakers could if they still offered their old tallow recipes (alongside the vegetarian ones, if necessary - at least until the bottom line showed which product made all the profit!) I've done my best to tell anyone who cares that palmitates destroy orang utan habitat, and will soon make a fellow primate extinct. But the bean counters pretend they know what maximises profit, which, very oddly, is not to use a renewable by-product of the vast amounts of hamburgers people seem to eat. Maybe these images from 'Planet of the Humans' will help:

I don't see why we should tolerate that, and at the same time pretend we are saving the planet by not using inferior tallow soap.

And, maybe, I should shut up and leave this thread to its original purpose. Maybe the word 'soapbox' had more meaning than its coiners knew!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

This SOTD entry denotes a change to Fine's tallow Fresh Vetiver soap stick for the next couple of weeks.
SOTD Fresh Vetiver 08192020.jpg
SOTD Fresh Vetiver 08192020.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4649 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
primotenore

Post by primotenore »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 am Interesting to see Floris keeping up the stearate content, as stearates are available from vegetable origin and can simulate half the effect of tallowates. I have a wooden bowl of old tallow No.89 soap, and it's very good.

The whole nonsense of traditional soap makers reformulating to be friendly to vegetarians and vegans conturbat me. I'm sure they will make less profit as a result, as their soaps suffer and wet shavers go where the results are, or make them for themselves, as I do.
I get to eat meat two or three times a year, living with a 50-year vegetarian wife who has been unable to travel as much as usual for some months now (I only get to cook and eat meat when she is away). Oddly, she wears leather shoes, and doesn't mind home made soap with lard in the recipe, but there we are. Were it not for other factors, no doubt I'd live longer for my very occasional meat consumption. But we somehow get along, just as traditional soapmakers could if they still offered their old tallow recipes (alongside the vegetarian ones, if necessary - at least until the bottom line showed which product made all the profit!) I've done my best to tell anyone who cares that palmitates destroy orang utan habitat, and will soon make a fellow primate extinct. But the bean counters pretend they know what maximises profit, which, very oddly, is not to use a renewable by-product of the vast amounts of hamburgers people seem to eat. Maybe these images from 'Planet of the Humans' will help:

I don't see why we should tolerate that, and at the same time pretend we are saving the planet by not using inferior tallow soap.

And, maybe, I should shut up and leave this thread to its original purpose. Maybe the word 'soapbox' had more meaning than its coiners knew!
That was gruesome, albeit informative, thank you. I would always choose tallow of the vegetarian alternative. That's just me.
~~~~~
Primo

brothers

Post by brothers »

There are bound to be functional alternatives to palm oil. The extinction of orangutans or any life form is deplorable.
Gary