SOTD November 2 - November 8

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
brothers

Re: SOTD November 2 - November 8

Post by brothers »

Since the Mike's ran out yesterday, I used a stick of my homemade Cedarwood soap this morning and am happy to report it was excellent. It was made in March of 2014, and this particular stick was last used about 5 1/2 years ago, March of 2015. It checked all the boxes, and it makes me glad to know I still have about a pound of it that will easily last me another 5 or more years in rotation with a few others.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

EL Alamein wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:00 pm
drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:26 am A razor approaching its 200th birthday, the J.C. Cast Steel wedge, old stock Taylor's Lavender soap, Rooney Finest, Taylor's Lavender Water:

SOTD071120.jpg
Magnificent kit! I love both those Taylor's products. You just inspired me for tomorrow's shave.

The razor is pretty impressive too. At 200 years old it looks like it's got a few more centuries to go.

Bravo!

Chris
And so my inspiration was realized this morning AND the reason why I stopped using lavender water for aftershave - BUGS - specifically bees. I forgot how attracted they are to one using something as potent as the excellent Taylor's Lavender water (and for a lavender water it's pretty potent). If one is going to be outside here in a rural area wearing a potent lavender water one will inevitably be accosted by bees smitten with the promise of a tasty lavender treat from a nearby plant only to be annoyed at finding only the visage of clean shaven man.

I didn't get stung but I didn't care for the risk of getting stung so it's back to the 4711 water for now. That stuff seems to repel insects.

Next time I use lavender water as an aftershave I'll be planning to be indoors all day, harrumph!

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think the Taylor's lavender is better than the Harris (both examples being ~10 years old and certainly tallow). Perhaps I should see if the old Taylor's sandalwood has lost its eau de Harpic toilet cleaner, and remains as just a decent soap today.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace