SOTD FEBRUARY 15 - 21, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

SOTD FEBRUARY 15 - 21, 2021

Post by jgreenepa »

87ABED74-B03B-42D1-BE4B-0FBDA7AB5AEB.jpeg
87ABED74-B03B-42D1-BE4B-0FBDA7AB5AEB.jpeg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 3535 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 15, 2021

It’s very nice to be home! 13 hours of backseat driving all the way from TN to PA is enough to unsettle any man! There were a large number of icy road conditions signs from the ice storms of the day before throughout VA which didn’t help matters, but we finally arrived home. The first thing I did upon awakening was to grab my Manhattan Cutlery razor, my A&E software, my Muhle 2011 R41 safety razor, and my Alpha Shaving 400 Tribute brush fitted with a hybrid knot ferrule. The mug and dome shaves easily put the baby to bed, and left me refreshed, clean and velveteen smooth! The post shave skin feel from the A&E Shaving Butter and Post-Shave Serum was the icing on the cake.

RAZOR: Manhattan Cutlery French Point (Mug), 2011 Muhle R41 Weber Handle (Dome)
BLADE: Wilkinson Sword DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving 400 Tribute with Hybrid Knot Ferrule
CREAM: A&E Shaving Butter
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: SOTD FEBRUARY 15 - 21

Post by TRBeck »

Zenith 506U unbleached boar
Tallow AOS Sandalwood soap
Razorock Gamechanger .84P
Gillette Platinum blade day 2
Proraso Red aftershave splash
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD FEBRUARY 15 - 21, 2021

Post by jgreenepa »

28AB1241-B528-4D1A-A0B6-76DF8F813B25.jpeg
28AB1241-B528-4D1A-A0B6-76DF8F813B25.jpeg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 3492 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 16, 2021

This morning I removed the Softguard AC blade from my DX and replaced it with a Feather Super AC to remain consistent with the Feather Super in my Blackland Vector. Every now and then it’s fun to challenge one’s straight razor technique. The focus for my mug shave this morning was lightness of touch. Feather Super blades are a smidge wider and seem sharper than regular Feather and Schick Proline AC blades since they extend a bit farther out of the blade clasp on the DX.

The Feather DX shaves like a very sharp straight, thus the reason for my focus. Trusting in my forearm weights, I slowly began my regular three pass regime with the intent of avoiding the set down errors my use of a Feather Super in the DX has been prone to in the past. Feeling in a Lime mood, I retrieved the Castle Forbes from under the sink and had at it. Heeding the Traveling Wilbury’s “Handle with Care” playing in the background, I ended up with a smooth as a baby’s bum result.

I foolishly sold my Cobra Classic two years ago, and regret it to this day. The Oren that I replaced it with was bulky and clumsy to shave with. So I sold that and purchased a Blackland Vector, one of the best shaving acquisitions I've ever made. This extremely slim profiled head is the shaving equivalent of a fine Italian or English sportscar. Two slow, careful ATG dome passes opened the door to that wonderful velveteen smoothness I just can’t seem to stop touching periodically during the course of the day! I feel refreshed, clean, and porcelain smooth!

RAZOR: Feather DX (Mug), Blackland Vector AC Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug & Dome)
BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot #007
CREAM: Castle Forbes Lime
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band silvertip
Homemade fougere soap
Razorock Gamechanger DE
Gillette Platinum shave #3
C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen a/s
Lanvin L'Homme EDT spray
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Rooney Stubby 2
Soap: QED Special 218
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Vintage Avon WindJammer
Cologne / Fragrance: Halston Z-12

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band silvertip
Homemade fougere soap
Razorock Gamechanger DE
Gillette Platinum shave #4
C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen a/s
Azzaro Visit eau de toilette
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

9D74CDA3-5186-4BE8-939C-82CA7FE99B7C.jpeg
9D74CDA3-5186-4BE8-939C-82CA7FE99B7C.jpeg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3463 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 17, 2021

Woke up to a bright, sunny, 22°F morning. Grabbed my recently acquired H. Hobson Sheffield wedge. I’m definitely going to tung oil the carved scales, as they look like they could use it. Shaving with this wedge reminded me of yesterday’s Feather DX mug shave, quiet, yet remarkably efficient. The A&E Shaving butter is rapidly becoming one of my favorite software accessories and greatly enhanced the shave! I adjusted the Eclipse Red Ring to its most efficient (aggressive?) setting and enjoyed a great dome shave albeit with a minor weeping bump removal on the first pass on the left side of the noggin which disappeared after the second pass. I feel clean, refreshed and velveteen smooth!

RAZOR: H. Hobson Sheffield Wedge (Mug), Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: JT Sapele/Resin Handled Omega Pro48 Boar Knot
CREAM : A&E Shaving Butter
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.
oeilvert

Post by oeilvert »

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Arko Sensitive
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Blue / "Fresh Scent"
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 610 boar brush
Homemade fougere soap
Razorock GC-.84P razor
Surrey Gillette Platinum
Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic
L'Eau D'Issey PH Intense
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

6A1C240F-F77E-4E4B-A1A6-4333CCE2189E.jpeg
6A1C240F-F77E-4E4B-A1A6-4333CCE2189E.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 3424 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 19, 2021

I’m definitely looking forward to nicer weather. Woke up to sleet this morning. So I decided to break out the Stirling Obsidian Glacial Soap and AS. Last night I touched up my A. Witte Copperhead 6/8 on my jasper stone with a series of successively diluted slurries and finished in water. It had begun to tug during my last shave with it. This morning’s mug shave following the touch up was glorious. Three lather sweeping passes easily put the baby to bed! Whenever I use this soap it reminds me of my grandmother’s anisette cookies. The noggin shave with my Karve E_OC finished the morning shave ablutions with two smooth ATG passes leaving me clean, cool, velveteen smooth, and quite refreshed. The Stirling Obsidian Glacial AS Splash set the tone for the day! I wish all my shave brothers and sisters a good day despite the stinky weather! Spring is just around the corner!

RAZOR: A. Witte Copperhead 6/8 (Mug), Karve E_OC Plate (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot #007
SOAP: Stirling Obsidian Glacial
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Stirling Obsidian Glacial AS Splash.
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Olle
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

0E678528-5A9E-4250-9A4D-6551379BD416.jpeg
0E678528-5A9E-4250-9A4D-6551379BD416.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 3394 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 20, 2021

Woke up to a brilliantly blue 22°F day. The garbage pickup reneged for the second time this week requiring me to bundle up like a Nanook of the North to fetch the canisters! My shave checked all the boxes. I really like this Thistle Cut razor. It really holds an edge comparable to the Feather Super blade in my Colonial General. The mug shave was very close and really only required two passes. I have two of these razors and am amazed at the steel in the blades. They really hold a very sharp edge. The dome shave with my favorite AC safety razor was just as close. I feel clean, refreshed and porcelain smooth!

RAZOR: Thistle Cut Co. 5/8, Colonial General V2 AC Safety Razor
BLADE: Feather Super
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse withHumphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Old Spice Original (Indian Version).
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

5454F1E9-9401-43FF-AFB2-B507505DE957.jpeg
5454F1E9-9401-43FF-AFB2-B507505DE957.jpeg (1008.19 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 21, 2021

Woke up to a bright blue 19°F morning slated to go to a balmy 33°F by the middle of the afternoon! I don’t know about you, my shave brothers and sisters, but I am more than ready for Spring! Returning to my shave, I must say that complacency is the wrong attitude for a decent shave as my long neglected Rex Ambassador taught me this morning. I’ve usually shaved this razor on 6, wide open, but the stars apparently weren’t aligned properly this morning, or perhaps it was the slightly wider Kai blade I loaded, which I’ve never used in this razor. I usually enjoy blade feel, but not to the extent my dome felt it this morning. The post shave alum check revealed some serious heat in the back of my dome immediately after the first pass. As a result, I elected to stick with a single ATG DFS noggin pass this morning. I’ll return to this safety razor tomorrow, and possibly over the next few days until I get it properly dialed in again. My mug shave was aces, but how could it not be! I chose the first straight razor I ever shaved with 6 years ago, my Dovo Special, and it nicely offset the dome shave by delivering a refreshingly, velveteen smooth mug shave result in three slow, careful passes.

RAZOR: Dovo Special 5/8 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Kai DE
PREP: Cold water rinse rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: JT Sapele/Resin Handled Omega Pro48 Boar
CREAM: A&E Shaving Butter
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum and Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme Balm.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Mistura in ivory
Homemade fougere soap
Razorock GG-.84P razor
Gillette Super Platinum*
Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic
Azzaro Visit for men edt

*black wrapper, shave #1
Regards,
Tim