SOTD FEBRUARY 22 - 28, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD FEBRUARY 22 - 28, 2021

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Yardley Gold
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Skin Bracer
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis Tobacco Reserve

Mike
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD FEBRUARY 22 - 28, 2021

Post by jgreenepa »

E03F9B34-7251-412B-A70B-1887344D8305.jpeg
E03F9B34-7251-412B-A70B-1887344D8305.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 3463 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 22, 2021

Woke up to a balmy 29°F with the same white blanket of snow everywhere! Today’s task was to dial in the Rex Ambassador after experiencing some irritation on the back of the dome yesterday! Suspecting it might be the slightly wider Kai blade, I swapped it out for a Sharp Star, and that seemed to resolve the issue, although I did take my usual two ATG passes quite slow and easy on the tender part of the noggin. Note to self, after the back of my gourd settles down, I ‘ll take the Rex out for another spin with the Kai. In the attempt to balance things out, I grabbed the Diamond Hayashi Nichiri Tokusen 6/8, after a quick touch up on the jasper stone last night. The three pass mug shave, as a UK shave buddy is fond of saying was “divine “! This razor never fails to deliver! I do love Japanese silver steel! I feel refreshed, clean, and velveteen smooth!

RAZOR: Diamond Hayashi Nichiri Tokusen 6/8 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Sharp Star DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 1800 boar brush
Homemade fougere soap
Gamechanger .84P razor
Gillette Super Platinum*
CO Bigelow Dr. Galen a/s
L'Eau D'Issey PH Intense

*black label blade, day 2
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Arko
Blade: Astra SP
A/S: Vintage Avon Brisk Spice
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis Tobacco Reserve

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 620 boar bristle
Homemade fougere soap
RR Gamechanger .84P DE
Black Super Plat shave 3
Bigelow Dr. Galen splash
Azzaro Visit for Men EDT
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Omega 10049
Soap: Palmolive Stick
A/S: Vintage Avon Brisk Spice
Cologne / Fragrance: Joop

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

255EFE27-3FDA-4A41-A8B9-16F620D7DA51.jpeg
255EFE27-3FDA-4A41-A8B9-16F620D7DA51.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 3422 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 24, 2021

Woke up to a beautiful sunny day here in the Philadelphia suburbs, albeit with 6-8” of snow remaining. Hopefully, it will melt in the next few days. I think I’m developing a real affection for wedges. The H. Hobson 6/8 wedge is an incredibly efficient 170 year old straight razor. One of the reasons I enjoy shaving with this old vintage razor is the feeling that I’m a caretaker for a tool used by eight generations of predecessors. This razor will pass to my son and from there hopefully to my grandson. The Hobson sheared through the mug whiskers in three efficient passes. I could have stopped after two, but I just enjoy using this old razor too much. The dome shave featured my LaResche 77 loaded with a Wilkinson Sword blade. Two effortlessly efficient passes later left me clean, refreshed and velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: H. Hobson 6/8 Wedge (Mug), LaResche 77 (Dome)
BLADE: Wilkinson Sword DE
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 610 boar bristle
Arko shave stick, pucked
RR Gamechanger .84P DE
7 O'Clock black shave #4
Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal
L'Eau d'Issey PH Intense
Regards,
Tim

pausted

Post by pausted »

Ach Brito Mogno soap
SilkSmoke synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Pinaud Gent's Gin aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

92C84468-6DFC-4434-B108-879B676FA9A1.jpeg
92C84468-6DFC-4434-B108-879B676FA9A1.jpeg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 3385 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 25, 2021

Beautiful morning today, but the snow blanket remains! It’s slated to go to 45°F today, so hopefully, some of it will melt. We all have our favorite straight razors, and mine is the Manhattan Cutlery 13/16. The mug shave was superb. Those 19th century Sheffield cutlers certainly knew their trade. The shave was clean and close, and set the stage for the Colonial Silversmith DE. Those of us who own this safety razor recognize it for the gem it is. I never fail to get an excellent dome shave. I wish more people were aware of Colonial Razor and its superlative razor designer! Kyle Evans knows his business! His General AC and Silversmith DE designs reflect a deep understanding of what works well in a safety razor. His General AC design is on version 2, and is unbeatable when fitted with a Schick Proline or Feather Super. I believe it is the only AC safety razor design that outshaves the Vector. In any case I feel clean, refreshed and porcelain smooth!

RAZOR: Manhattan Cutlery Sheffield 13/16 (Mug), Colonial Silversmith (Dome)
BLADE: Sharp Star DE
BRUSH: MrEE Monster Tuxedo Synth
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Old Spice Original (Indian Version)
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

APShaveCo Synbad synthetic
Speick shaving stick, pucked
Razorock Gamechanger .84P
7 O'Clock Black blade day #5
Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic a/s
Lanvin L'Homme EDT spray
Regards,
Tim

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Soap: Williams + Leftovers
A/S: Vintage Avon Deep Woods
Cologne / Fragrance: Burberry

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

DDEBA7EC-102B-4464-80E3-74E03C414746.jpeg
DDEBA7EC-102B-4464-80E3-74E03C414746.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3360 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 26, 2021

Never one to give up on a particular shaving combo, I decided on a return engagement with the Rex Ambassador loaded with a Kai DE. Kai blades are a smidge wider than my regular Feathers. My last encounter a few days ago left me with an irritated rear dome. The problem was clearly operator error. My usual routine is to start with my mug and then do my noggin. Today I started with the dome. The Ambassador is a fabulous shaver, but today’s shave involved more than my standard level of focus. The dome shave ended this time with your happy narrator at 1, Rex Ambassador 0 after two successful ATG passes.

The mug shave featured my C-Mon Special 11/16 which still retains most of the original gold wash on the tang and shoulder. This particular razor is an extra hollow ground, and boy does it belt out the “Buttering Toast” song during the shave. The razor belonged to my childhood barber, Joe Roselli, bless his soul! I had renewed contact with one of my childhood playmates, Joe’s grandson, Vince, another retired engineer, who as it turned out had settled in nearby Delaware. Vince and I were reminiscing about a year or so ago before this plague nonsense took over our lives at his place over some Manhattans about our first haircuts when his grandfather came up.

We’re both old, bald septuagenarians now. I discussed my shaving hobby with him, and he brought out his grandfather’s razors. My eye was drawn to this C-Mon Special, and a Dubl Duck Goldedge. Needless to say, a deal was made, and I left the proud owner of two great straight razors and a Frank Swaty Barber’s hone. While I haven’t used the Barber’s hone, both razors are a regular part of my shave rotation. Tomorrow I plan to shave with the Goldedge. This morning’s shave was an A#1 great shave, or ‘epic’ as @Keithmax, one of the TSD 30DC Crew, is wont to say. I feel clean, refreshed, and velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: C-Mon Special 11/16 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Kai DE
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger Fan Knot
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse withHumphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime (Indian Version).
Last edited by jgreenepa on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Maggard SHD 2-band badger*
Homemade sandalwood soap
Razorock Gamechanger .84P
Gillette 7 O'Clock SP (black)
Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic a/s
Lanvin L'Homme EDT spray

*meh
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

43492D54-DACC-4CE0-AF9D-6DDF080813C4.jpeg
43492D54-DACC-4CE0-AF9D-6DDF080813C4.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 3343 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 27, 2021

This morning I shaved with two awesome razors. The Dubl Duck 11/16 has always performed beautifully for me. As I mentioned yesterday it came from the estate of my childhood barber, Joe Roselli, through his grandson, Vince. I wonder sometimes whether Joe ever used it to shave my neck with it as a child. Like my C-Mon Special, it sings as it works! The results were a foregone conclusion. Three slow passes with the Traveling Wilburys “End of the Line” playing in the background put the baby to bed! My dome shave featured one of the jewels of my collection, the Eclipse Red Ring, fitted with a fresh Feather DE. This little razor is every bit as efficient as my Muhle 2011 R41 and required focus during the two pass ATG shave. The resulting Wilburys’ finish left me clean, refreshed and dolphin smooth.

RAZOR: Dubl Duck Goldedge 11/16 (Mug), Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: JT Sapele/Resin Handled Omega Pro48 Boar
pausted

Post by pausted »

MWF soap
WCS Tuxedo synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Pinaud Gent's Gin aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 1470 boar bristle
Cella Extra Extra Bio soap
Razorock GC.84P DE razor
7 O'Clock Super (black) #7
Cella Bio aftershave splash
L'Eau d'Issey PHI EDT spray
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

4B5D06C6-E178-49E0-83E2-D193ACD131DD.jpeg
4B5D06C6-E178-49E0-83E2-D193ACD131DD.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 3318 times
SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 28, 2021

Here we are on the last morning of February. It’s raining and hopefully the white snow blanket on my property melts in the rainy 45°F temperature. Patina is defined “as a surface appearance of something grown beautiful with age”. Vintage item collectors differ on appreciating the degree of its presence or absence, but for certain things it just seems right.

My old Sheffield cast steel French Point H. Boker 5/8 is one of them. A bright shiny blade on this almost two century old masterpiece just wouldn’t seem right. The softer cast steel does require more frequent refreshes, but the refreshed edge is always buttery smooth and a joy to shave with. The three pass mug shave this morning put the baby to bed and confirmed why this particular straight resides in my favorite 7 day set.

My Ronson safety razor is another that never fails to please! Owners use modified DE blades or regular Schick injectors. The DE modification is similar to that required for the use of an original Gibbs #15 or #17 adjustable, and can be accomplished with metal nippers or grooming scissors, although continued use put the scissors option out of commission. I like Schick B-20 injector blades myself.

The weighted head in this little safety razor masterpiece always delivers a superb two pass dome shave as it did this morning. This morning’s noggin shave checked all the boxes. I like to hold the razor by the ring at the very bottom end of its short handle. It shaves almost as well as my GE Jones Shake Sharps. I feel refreshed, clean, and velveteen!

RAZOR: H. Boker French Point 5/8 (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline Injector
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 with Hybrid Knot Ferrule
CREAM: Castle Forbes Lime
POSTSHAVE: Cold water rinse with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band silvertip badger 24/50
Homemade Australian blue cypress soap
Razorock Gamechanger .84 double-edge
Gillette Super Platinum (black) shave #8
C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal Tonic a/s
Versace Pour Homme Eau de Toilette 8)
Regards,
Tim