SOTD: March 15 - March 21, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: SOTD: March 15 - March 21, 2021

Post by TRBeck »

Muhle synthetic
Palmolive stick
EJ DE89 Barley
Gillette Swede
Proraso splash
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

0FAAE9ED-2D57-4263-9297-EBA29085AED4.jpeg
0FAAE9ED-2D57-4263-9297-EBA29085AED4.jpeg (726.73 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, MARCH 22, 2021

This morning I woke to a bright sunny morning in the Philadelphia suburbs. Effective tomorrow, the bride and I will be at the height of our resistance to the Covid virus as it will be two weeks since our second Moderna jab. Woohoo!!! After yesterday’s amazing shave with my new artisan masterpiece, ‘Bone Mosaic’ by Victor Creazzi, it was definitely time to go old school vintage. Today’s shave featured my two hundred year old H. Hobson Sheffield wedge 6/8 and the Gibbs #17 Adjustable, a very popular French safety razor in production from 1938 to the mid 1950s.

The mug full wedge straight shave was quite a contrast to my shave yesterday with Victor Creazzi’s full hollow grind. There was no ‘Buttering Toast’ refrain this morning. The wedge sheared through my whiskers in almost a spooky silence, quite a contrast to yesterday’s shave. Nevertheless, old man Hobson easily held his own in comparison, and delivered a dolphin smooth three pass mug shave. The dome shave was every bit as good. It’s my practice to shave all my adjustable safety razors wide open. This morning’s noggin shave confirmed why so many love this little French Adjustable, just no nonsense two pass ATG perfection that topped off a wonderful velveteen smooth refreshing shave.

RAZOR: H. Hobson Sheffield Wedge 6/8 (Mug), Gibbs Adjustable #17 (Dome)
BLADE: Modified Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE Gold Anodized Aluminum Monster Tuxedo Synth
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Alt-Innsbruck AS Splash.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Muhle synthetic
Palmolive stick
Clog Pruf razor
GEM PTFE day 1
Proraso splash
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

447AD0CE-8720-4E86-8D7A-1EF8744797C1.jpeg
447AD0CE-8720-4E86-8D7A-1EF8744797C1.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 2577 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, MARCH 23, 2021

We all have certain razors that are memorable. Today’s shave features two razors that struck a chord with me. For the mug shave, it’s my Dovo Special, my first straight razor bought new six years ago that launched me on my open edge journey, albeit with a protracted gap. This razor proved to be both a diagnostic tool as well a challenge to be overcome. On my third shave with it I injured myself rather severely, and in the process learned I had Parkinson’s. So in the drawer it went for years. To make a long story short, I picked it up again years later with my wife’s ankle weights strapped to my forearms, and have been happily straight shaving ever since. After refreshing it last night on two pasted strops and my leather strop, it sailed through my whiskers in three enjoyable ‘Buttering Toasty’ passes and put the baby to bed with no trouble.

The subsequent dome shave featured my Occam’s DE, a remarkably efficient kit razor I purchased for my Paramedic, ex-jarhead son Sam, two Christmases ago when Classic Shaving offered it as a kit with three base plates and two top caps for a very fair price. As it turned out, Sam had already been gifted a OneBlade Hybrid by his older brother, and so graciously returned it to me. So out of curiosity, I decided to give it a try, and am I glad I did. The most aggressive plate, as it turns out, is an homage to the Eclipse Red Ring design-wise whether intentional or not. The shave is quite similar to the latter. The issue I have is one many of us can identify with in this great hobby, too many dang good safety razors! As a result this one has been sadly neglected. This morning’s noggin shave reminded me what a great shaver it is. Two ATG passes left me smiling, refreshed and oh-so-smooth!

RAZOR: Dovo Special 5/8 (Mug), Classic Shaving’s Occam’s DE
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute with Hybrid Knot Ferrule
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse withHumphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme Balm.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
pausted

Post by pausted »

Pre de Provence #63 soap
Semogue Caravela Mistura brush
Ming Shi 2000 razor
Gillette Super Stainless blade (China)
Lea Classic aftershave splash

Since I use my Colonial General for most shaves, I have neglected my DE razors. I’m going to use the DE’s for awhile for the sake of variety in razors and blades. BTW, Gillette is making some very good blades in their Shanghai factory.
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Muhle large silvertip fibre synth
Proraso Red (sandalwood) soap
Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf razor
GEM PTFE coated blade day #2
Proraso Original (green) splash
Regards,
Tim