SOTD: March 22 - March 28, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD: March 22 - March 28, 2021

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Vintage Avon Brisk Spice
Cologne / Fragrance: Old Spice (Current Formulation)

Mike
brothers

Re: SOTD: March 22 - March 28, 2021

Post by brothers »

Monday, March 22:

Fine Fresh Vetiver soap, SilkSmoke brush, Boker King Cutter straight razor, and Superior 70 Mentalado splash.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Arko
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: None

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: J.M. Fraser's
A/S: Skin Bracer
Cologne / Fragrance: Drakkar Noir

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

02AF2DAE-ADC5-4600-A26F-E66F86BFBD8E.jpeg
02AF2DAE-ADC5-4600-A26F-E66F86BFBD8E.jpeg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 3204 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, MARCH 24, 2021

This morning’s shave supports my assertion that great shavers can appear in unexpected ways. Shortly after I began using my Dovo Special again, I traded a somewhat beat up Gillette Black Tip for my second straight razor acquisition, the Lord 6/8 featured in today’s shave. My friend had given up on straight shaving and traded this 1920’s-30’s Little Art Deco beauty. We were both pleased with the results of our barter. He’d been searching for a Gillette Black Tip in decent condition, and I am not a fan of the head geometry of most Gillette TTO’s.

At that time, my aspiring bladesmith son, Ben, had just completed his jnat progression and was looking for a razor to run through it. I volunteered the then newly acquired little Lord, and again it was a win-win. Ben killed the existing edge, reset the bevel, and finished the final polish, in the process crafting a superb edge that I’ve managed to maintain for over a year with my pasted strop progression. This is the little razor that could and does! What a great mug shave. The edge on this little beauty is truly ‘whisker-melting’.

One of my friends at TSD (@jmudrick) introduced me to the incredible little Shake Sharp SE. It’s the only vintage SE I’m aware of that uses unmodified DE blades. It was designed during the Great Depression as a self sharpening safety razor for the carbon steel DE blades that were then the prevailing blade option. This nickel plated version was my first Shake Sharp; I have three in all. WW2 interfered with its introduction and and the thinner SS blades no longer required the sharpening feature. But when blades are doubled (ie ‘stacked’), it becomes an amazing Dome shaver, and certainly delivered an exemplary two pass ATG noggin shave this morning. I feel clean, porcelain smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Lord 6/8 (Mug), Shake Sharp Nickel Plated Model (Dome)
BLADE: 2 Stacked Sharp Star DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE Blue Anodized Aluminum Handled LE #005 with SynBad Knot
SOAP: Baron’s Choice
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme Balm.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Muhle lg silvertip fibre synth
Proraso Red (sandalwood) ss
Edwin Jagger Barley Chrome
New Gillette Platinum day 2
Barbasol Brisk a/s as cologne
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gillette Pure cream
Semogue Caravela Mistura brush
Minh Shi 2000 razor (Set at 3 1/2)
Personna Stainless blade (Israel)
Barbasol Pacific Rush aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Muhle large synthetic
Palmolive shave stick
Micromatic Clog Pruf
GEM PTFE-coated #3
Proraso Green splash
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Green Pond Sandalwood
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: Belcam's version of Drakkar Noir

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

C1FA9720-E0E9-4DE4-897C-EB19B4546601.jpeg
C1FA9720-E0E9-4DE4-897C-EB19B4546601.jpeg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 3149 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, MARCH 26, 2021

Welcome to Wool Fat Friday! This morning I opted for a traditional Fatboy Wool Fat Friday shave. Although admittedly not a fan of Gillette TTO’s, I find the head design on the Fatboy to be bulky and awkward. But this morning’s dome shave, while not up to the standards of the Shake Sharp or even the Gibbs Adjustables with their slimmer head geometry, provided an acceptably close noggin shave in two ATG passes.

Our Evan (@MrEE) at TSD, in my opinion, builds fabulous LE aluminum shaving brush handles. I own three (two fitted with synthetic knots and the third with a hybrid natural knot), and they’re rapidly becoming my regular gotos. The MrEE Monster Tuxedo Synth used today is aptly named. It’s huge and generated an explosion of lather. It was easily more than I needed, and in the process retired my old puck of MWF.

The clear highlight of the shave, however, was my newly acquired Herder 49 15/16. I’m really enjoying this razor! I was initially put off by the blade size, but the weight, heft in hand and overall balance make this razor an absolute delight to shave with. Three slow, extremely enjoyable passes after beginning, and my mug felt refreshed, clean and porcelain smooth! Me likee!!!

RAZOR: F. Herder 49 15/16 (Mug), Gillette Fatboy (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: MrEE LE Aluminum Gold Anodized Monster Tuxedo Synth
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with PAA Rabid Banana Star Jelly AS Balm.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nothing pleases me more than to declare this morning's superb straight razor shave was the product of Filarmonica 14 Novodur blade with courtesy, in part, of the black jasper gemstone. (photo shows blade in oil for storage)
Filarmonica Novodur 07122020.jpg
Filarmonica Novodur 07122020.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3134 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

brothers wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 pm Nothing pleases me more than to declare this morning's superb straight razor shave was the product of Filarmonica 14 Novodur blade with courtesy, in part, of the Jasper black gemstone. (photo shows blade in oil for storage)

Filarmonica Novodur 07122020.jpg
Lovely razor!
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

099ECF09-B2D9-4C05-A2E1-B9B7FA810D96.jpeg
099ECF09-B2D9-4C05-A2E1-B9B7FA810D96.jpeg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3121 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, MARCH 27, 2021

This afternoon Gromit and I will be returning to our Philly condo after more than a year’s absence to join my bride there. I expect there’ll be a fair bit of cleaning involved, but I'm looking forward to that 51st floor backdrop with our 10 mile view in my SOTD photos. It was definitely time to break out two of my favorite vintage razors, the Manhattan Cutlery French Point 13/16 straight razor along with the Gem G-Bar safety razor on this relatively warm (57°F), bright, sunny morning.

My new MrEE Blue anodized LE handle fitted with a fantastic SynBad knot is a joy to use. It’s very soft, yet at the same time has the kind of backbone to easily handle bowl lathering MWF, although this morning’s shave featured one of my favorite shaving creams, Nancy Boy Signature. The 18 year old company, based in San Francisco, flies under the radar, since they do no formal marketing, preferring to invest those funds into sourcing and using the highest grade natural ingredients. Marketing is all word of mouth, and their customers tend to be fiercely loyal true fans.

The overall shave was divine despite an unexpected bump removal by the G-Bar during the dome shave on the right side of my noggin on the first regular ATG pass.. Proraso styptic gel quickly handled that issue resulting in an uneventful second pass. But the truly epic part of this morning’s shave was the mug portion. The razor was restored beautifully by David Work, who appears to be a bit of a magician when it comes to returning old Sheffield steel to like new condition. The razor shaves extremely smoothly and after three glorious passes left your happy narrator smiling as he felt his velveteen smooth face.

RAZOR: Manhattan Cutlery French Point 13/16 (Mug), Gem G-Bar (Dome)
BLADE: Pella PTFE Gem
BRUSH: MrEE Blue Anodized Aluminum LE with 24mm SynBad Knot
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent AS Balm.
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

3D3FA991-596D-45F4-8FE4-7DF59FE7D5F0.jpeg
3D3FA991-596D-45F4-8FE4-7DF59FE7D5F0.jpeg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 3096 times
SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, MARCH 28, 2021

Unfortunately, it was too overcast for a backdrop shot. Today’s shave featured two modern artisan razors. The Bone Mosaic razor from Victor Creazzi delivered an awesome mug shave in three very close, smooth passes. I really like the balance and feel of this new razor, and it’s just so pretty! My favorite travel safety razor is the SS Supply fitted with a Schick Twin blade. And it delivered a dome shave every bit as smooth as the preceding mug shave. I feel refreshed, clean and velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: Victor Creazzi’s Bone Mosaic 7/8 (Mug), SS Supply V2 (Dome)
BLADE: Schick Twin Injector
BRUSH: RR 400 Noir Plissoft
SOAP: Mike’s Hungarian Lavender
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.