SOTD: March 29 - April 4, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
CMur12

SOTD: March 29 - April 4, 2021

Post by CMur12 »

Let's start a new week of SOTDs!

- Murray
pausted

Re: SOTD: March 29 - April 4, 2021

Post by pausted »

Caswell Massey Ros soap
Semogue Caravela Mistura brush
Gillette Super Speed razor
Gillette Nacet blade
Barbasol Pacific Rush aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue C3 Mistura
MdC Fougere sample
Rockwell 6S plate #5
Gillette Platinum #2
C.O. Bigelow Galen
Cartier Declaration
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Soap: Arko
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Family Dollar Spice Scent
Cologne / Fragrance: Georgio

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: T&H Rose
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Family Dollar Brut clone
Cologne / Fragrance: Azzaro Night Time

Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

SOTD featured the Puma INOX stainless 6/8 razor.
Puma Inox 07282020.jpg
Puma Inox 07282020.jpg (874.16 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

FBC04C69-BE0B-49A5-B59F-D873DCA4E7DE.jpeg
FBC04C69-BE0B-49A5-B59F-D873DCA4E7DE.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 3866 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, MARCH 30, 2021

I’m fortunate to belong to the TSD’s 30DC thread crew. In addition to making great friends, I get to benefit from the wealth of wet shaving know-how we all collectively possess, as well as the output of several highly skilled brush handle makers, one of whom builds anodized aluminum handles on his own home grown CNC equipment. I’ve really taken to his latest LE offering, this gorgeous blue LE handle.

Over the last few years I find myself beginning to migrate away from natural fiber brushes to the newer synthetics that have improved immeasurably from the original non-absorbent nylon offerings. I own several, but have been blown away by the effectiveness of the new 24mm SynBad knot I fitted to this superbly balanced handle. Not only does it have excellent flow-through, but it has incredible softness with sufficient backbone to bowl lather MWF, my ultimate test of any brush.

Mike’s Hungarian Lavender, like all his offerings, is an excellent soap, but unfortunately had sat unused in the empty condo for over a year. While I can’t speak to the scent, I can testify to the great protective lather and glide provided. The Wade & Butcher 7/8 sailed through my mug stubble in three lovely passes leaving my face glassysmooth. The Supply V2 completed its two ATG dome passes leaving your happy narrator refreshed, cool, and velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: Wade & Butcher 7/8 (Mug), SS Supply V2
BLADE: Schick Twin Injector
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE LE Blue Aluminum Handle with SynBad Knot
SOAP: Mike’s Hungarian Lavender
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Torga C3 Mistura
Valobra hard shaving stuck
Rockwell 6S DE on plate 5
Gillette Platinum shave 3
Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
pausted

Post by pausted »

AOS Peppermint cream
Omega 10097 boar brush
Gillette Super Speed razor
Gillette Nacet blade
Aqua Velva blue aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 830 boar
MdC Fougere soap
Rockwell 6S razor
Gillette Platinum
Bigelow Tonic a/s
Azzaro PH EDT :)

I will not be buying the MdC Fougere, despite loving the lather and scent from this sample. It burns my face when used repeatedly, as the original MdC does. It's just as well. Spendy stuff.

The 830 astounds.

Azzaro Pour Homme never fails to make me smile. I enjoy a wide variety of scents, but classic aromatic fougeres are my happy place.
Regards,
Tim

pausted

Post by pausted »

AOS Sandalwood tallow soap
Semogue IB 2012 Limited Edition boar brush
Colonial General razor
Feather Pro blade
Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave

After using my DE razors for awhile, it's back to the General for April. My favorite razor!
The brush is the same as the 1305 with a different colored handle and without the died knot. Excellent boar brush.
Best regards,

Basil
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

CBF161D1-4BCE-42E0-9C00-CE4F50BD391A.jpeg
CBF161D1-4BCE-42E0-9C00-CE4F50BD391A.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 3803 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, APRIL 1, 2021

Welcome to April Fool’s Day, but more importantly my daughter’s birthday! I never expected my “Wild Child” to blossom into the magnificent young woman and mother she’s turned out to be! My shave this morning is dedicated to her and her two children, Mike and Kevin, ages 7 and 9, both of whom like to shave with G-Pop in the morning. I lather the two of them up with whatever I’m using and provide each with a blade-less safety razor when they stay over. We’ll be seeing them later for their Mom’s birthday.

Instead of my usual MWF, I decided on a lime shave this morning. Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream is not for everyone, but I really like it. I fitted my Alpha Shaving T-400 with the 26mm Tuxedo Synth Ferrule and proceeded to generate gobs of rich, slick lather. The Riga Razor with its newly refined edge sailed through the clouds of lime goodness in three easy mug passes. The two pass ATG dome shave featured my LaResche 77, and completed an epic shave kickoff for the first day of the month. I feel refreshed, clean and porcelain smooth.

RAZOR: Riga Razor 15/16 (Mug), LaResche 77 (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 with 26mm Tuxedo Synth Ferrule
CREAM: Castle Forbes Lime
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Barbear Classico Mistura
Barrister & Mann Reserve Fern ss*
Rockwell 6S DE razor on plate #5
Gillette Platinum (new) shave #5
C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic a/s
Taylor of Old Bond St. Mr. Taylor

*sample; checking to see how the shea butter affects my skin...jury is out on the lather and long-term skin impact, but the scent is heavenly
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

804C00A9-A16B-4248-AA25-ADEC10F420B4.jpeg
804C00A9-A16B-4248-AA25-ADEC10F420B4.jpeg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 3779 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, APRIL 2, 2021

Today I shaved with my newly arrived Ellis & Allan 8/8 Stubtail, a 200+ year old razor with an interesting history. Glen Mercurio masterfully assembled and honed this razor from what was originally, a standalone unsharpened blade. Camel bone scales, amber wedge, brass pins and inner bearing washers along with custom beehive outer washers by Austin Kennedy transformed this cleaver-like stubtail blade into a a magnificent antique shaving tool! But what was even more interesting is the blade’s history.

Richard Ellis and John Allan, good friends and former apprentices to John Galt, formed their General Mercantile Company in Richmond, Va. with Mr. Galt’s support in 1800, a partnership that lasted until it’s dissolution in 1824, a delayed victim of the Panic of 1819. During that time Mr John Allan adopted the three year old orphaned child of the actress, Eliza Poe. The little boy’s name was Edgar Poe, thereafter changed to Edgar Allan Poe. Edgar Allan Poe’s stepfather John Allan moved his family to London in 1815 to source British merchandise for the company, an example of which is this old blade. Enough history, back to the shave.

This old Edgar Allan Poe stubtail shaves like a champ, although the grip took a bit of getting used to. It's much heavier and larger than any of the other straights in the den, weighing in at 255 grams (9 oz) and measuring 7 inches from scale end to stubtail end. The mug shave was a completely silent three pass effort. This blade will definitely take some time to get used to. It’s size and length make going across the grain on my neck a bit of a challenge. I was unable to achieve the level of smoothness I like on the neck as a result. Fortunately, I’d selected my Eclipse Red Ring for my dome shave, and cleaned up my neck with it before its usual excellent two pass ATG Dome assault. The Red Ring is just an incredibly awesome, efficient shaver which left your somewhat frustrated narrator refreshed, clean and velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: Ellis and Allan Stubtail 8/8 (Mug), Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
BRUSH: MrEE LE Aluminum Handled SynBad Knot #005
SOAP: Wholly Kaw King of Oud
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 830 boar brush
B&M Fern shaving soap*
Rockwell 6S DE plate #5
Gillette Platinum day 5
Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic
Guerlain Vetiver EDT 8)

*sample; I won't be buying this one, but I do really like the scent...the lather just isn't really coming together the way I like
Regards,
Tim

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 1800 boar bristle
Palmolive hard shave soap
Rockwell 6S razor plate #5
Gillette Platinum shave #7
Dr. Galen Herbal Tonic a/s
Azzaro Pour Homme spray
Regards,
Tim

brothers

Post by brothers »

All of the usual great products, except that today I used an old straight razor with a nice freshly honed edge - a razor bearing the name Rugby. Sounds as if it might be an Anglophile product, but it doesn't bear the place of origin.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

59BB79A3-2F38-46DD-B29A-F73486C355BC.jpeg
59BB79A3-2F38-46DD-B29A-F73486C355BC.jpeg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 3729 times
SOTD EASTER SUNDAY MORNING, APRIL 4, 2021

Happy Easter to all my shave brothers and sisters out there! My focus on the new-to-me 200+ year old Ellis & Allan 8/8 stubtail continues. Most stubtails I’ve seen have much smaller blades. The size of this blade is what initially attracted me to it. But I had no idea how great-looking it would turn out under the very capable hands of master restorer and honemeister, Glen Mercurio. I'm definitely getting the hang of this big honkin’ piece of Sheffield cast steel.

My routine three pass mug shave went well, albeit much quieter than the full and extra full hollows with which I’m used to shaving. I felt the need for a very close dome shave, and there’s no better tool in the den than my Barbasol Floating Head. Two slow and careful ATG passes left your very pleased narrator with the velveteen smooth shave surfaces he craves. I feel refreshed, clean, porcelain smooth and ready for a morning at church with the bride.

RAZOR: Ellis &Allan 8/8 Stubtail (Mug), Barbasol FH (Dome)
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CREAM: A&E Shaving Butter
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap
Omega 80097 boar brush
Colonial General razor
Feather Pro blade
Dominica Bay Rum aftershave

Happy Easter to all!
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 2020 TSN LE silvertip
Homemade fougere shave soap
GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf razor
GEM PTFE-coated blade day #7
CO Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic a/s
Paco Rabanne Pour Homme edt

Happy Easter!
Regards,
Tim