SOTD April 12 - April 18, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD April 12 - April 18, 2021

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Imperial Leather
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Vintage Avon Brisk Spice
Cologne / Fragrance: Mem English Leather

Mike
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD April 12 - April 18, 2021

Post by jgreenepa »

B6B6C357-6D5B-49AE-A755-64B89835D4CE.png
B6B6C357-6D5B-49AE-A755-64B89835D4CE.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 3749 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, APRIL 12, 2021

Up early again, this time with a feline emergency. One of my wife’s three cats was attacked by a coyote and needed to be rushed to the local Veterinary Emergency service by yours truly. He’s in pretty bad shape. The coyote was sent to join his ancestors, and yours truly has a township gun ordinance violation to deal with thanks to my coyote-loving new neighbor! Mitten’s a good cat, but it doesn’t look good! After returning home, I needed a pick-me-up. So I grabbed my 160 year old Boker French Point and my Christopher Bradley safety razor from Karve.

This old Boker just feels so good in hand, and despite the softer English cast steel needing more frequent touch ups than some of my other straights, the edge always feels buttery smooth on my mug. The regular three pass mug shave checked all the boxes as did the two pass ATG dome shave with the Karve. I’d stopped using the Karve because of my tendency to nip my ear with the exposed tabs, but since getting the wide body top cap it’s no longer a concern. I feel a bit pissed off, but otherwise clean, refreshed and dolphin smooth!

RAZOR: H. Boker & Co. French Point (Mug), Karve Safety Razor with D_OC Plate (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute with 26mm Tuxedo Synth Ferrule
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with PAA Frost Byte AS/Cologne.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
pausted

Post by pausted »

Caswell Massey Ros soap
Proraso boar brush
Standard Razors razor
Astra Stainless blade
Fine Latigo aftershave

After looking at the Proraso brush (made by Omega) for many years, I finally bought a brand new one on the bay for $10.99 with free shipping. Wow! What a great brush! They must be doing something in the manufacturing process because this brush is virtually broken in right out of the box. If I had bought one of these earlier I probably would have saved a hell of a lot of money on other brushes. Highly recommended! No wonder it is the favorite of Italian barbers.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted

Post by pausted »

PdP #63 soap
Proraso boar brush
Colonial General razor
Schick P30 blade
Dominica Bay Rum aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Cream: FA Oceanic
A/S: Family Dollar Brut clone

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Soap: Arko
A/S: Family Dollar Brut clone
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

6659CDEF-683D-44DF-A6D7-DD501AC6AA2D.jpeg
6659CDEF-683D-44DF-A6D7-DD501AC6AA2D.jpeg (155.78 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, APRIL 15, 2021

Mitten has returned. The Vet wants to see him in three days, but he’s otherwise continuing to improve each day, so back to the shave. It’s always fun to shave with one’s first straight razor. This is the razor, a Dovo Special 5/8, my son recommended for me 6 years ago. As a straight razor shaver with more than two decades experience, he honed it for me, as he didn’t think much of the factory edge. Rather than rehash the ups and downs of my journey, all I’ll say is that I’ve developed a sentimental attachment to it. Is it my best shaver, not even close, but it does deliver a decent mug shave. I did select one of my two favorite Gillette safety razors, the New LC, for my dome shave, the other being the New Standard. The shave went well with my SynBad knot equipped MrEE LE brush again delivering gobs of rich, slick, protective lather. I feel refreshed, cool and very smooth!

RAZOR: Dovo Special 5/8 (Mug), Gillette New LC (Dome)
BRUSH: MrEE Aluminum LE with SynBad Knot
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with PAA Frost Byte AS/Cologne.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 620 boar
Valobra soap stick
Razorock GC.84-P
Gillette Platinum
Bigelow Dr. Galen
R & G Open EDT
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Actor07

Post by Actor07 »

Razor: Darwin Standard
Razor Blade: Personna 74
Shave #18 and still going strong
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (488.96 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (488.96 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

EB32E8B3-99FE-43B7-8312-CD2DE8E3573E.jpeg
EB32E8B3-99FE-43B7-8312-CD2DE8E3573E.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 3635 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, APRIL 16, 2021

Today's shave featured two great shavers, my Tanifuji Airi 11/16 and my 1920 vintage Gillette Big Fellow. It’s a shave of firsts! The first Japanese silver steel straight razor I acquired, the first model of the Gillette Big Fellow, albeit from the second year of production, and the first LE aluminum handled shave brush model the supremely talented MrEE ever offered to the 30DC Crew ever at TSD.

The hybrid knot on the MrEE brush while not the softest is a superb lather generator. I bloom my MWF routinely which always yields gobs of lather. The edge on this little Tanifuji is what led to my acquiring two more. Japanese razors never fail to please! And that was certainly the case this morning. Three slow, leisurely passes left you happy narrator with a delightfully smooth mug!

Gillette's experiment to upsize their successful Old Type after World War I certainly works well for yours truly. I own two 1905 Old Types which shave well, but this larger version works better for me. Gillette later changed the head design to their New model design, but I do enjoy the upsized Old Type head on the BigFellow. Two ATG dome passes left my noggin velveteen smooth and oh-so-happy! The Alt-Innsbruck AS splash put the icing on the cake.

RAZOR: Tanifuji Airi 11/16 (Mug), Gillette Big Fellow (Dome)
BRUSH: MrEE LE Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot #007
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Alt-Innsbruck AS Splash.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thursday's SOTD:
Strop Shoppe Salsetia tallow soft soap
SilkSmoke synthetic brush
Dubl Duck Special Number 1 razor
Alum bar
Superior 70 Mentolado splash
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue #1470 bristle
Valobra hard soap stick
Razorock Gamechanger
Gillette Platinum day 7
C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen
Azzaro Visit EDT spray
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

B310B5DC-87BF-43BA-851C-28E92C60AC93.png
B310B5DC-87BF-43BA-851C-28E92C60AC93.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 3598 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, APRIL 17, 2021

Up rather early thanks to achy feet. The nice thing about TSD’s 30DC Crew is not only the generosity of spirit routinely demonstrated, but the skill level of our so-called “hobby” turners, both of whom put out product that I find to be easily equivalent to, and in most cases superior to product available commercially - one in metal (@MrEE) and the other in wood, resin or combinations of the two (@jtspartan). I’ve been shaving almost exclusively lately with their brushes, and today selected the beautifully crafted Sapele/resin handle housing an Omega Pro48 boar knot by @jtspartan.

Besides being great to look at, it sits perfectly in hand and is a superb lather generator. Jason was kind enough to obtain the knot from a new Omega Pro48 boar brush. This lovely brush always delivers and this morning did so again. This morning’s shave featured my Puma 88 straight razor and Eclipse Red Ring. The mug shave with the Puma’s Solingen steel edge easily cleared away my mug stubble in the usual three passes. The Red Ring is in the same class as my Favorite Gillette New LC and Standard models. Two ATG passes left me smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Puma 88 5/8 (Mug), Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
BRUSH: JT Sapele/Resin Handled Omega Pro48 Boar Knot
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse withHumphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Ach Brito Mogno soap
Proraso boar brush
Gillette Knack razor (England)
Gillette Silver Blue blade
Nivea Cooling balm
Dominica Bay Rum aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue C3 Mistura
Valobra shave stuck
GEM Clog-Pruf razor
PTFE GEM shave #1
Dr. Galen Tonic a/s
Declaration Essence
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

13610E4C-8F68-4B4A-850B-1F7E70798878.png
13610E4C-8F68-4B4A-850B-1F7E70798878.png (953.61 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, APRIL 18, 2021

Whew doggies!! Talk about a wake up shave! A few weeks ago I ordered a collapsible travel shave bowl from Stirling Soap Co. for my grandson. They included an Electric Sheep bath soap sample. I tried it and liked it so much I decided to order the Glacial versions of their bath soap and shave soap. Well, believe you me, talk about a refreshing menthol kick! It should better be described as a wallop! The bath soap woke me up, but the shave soap was in another class entirely! The fragrance is definitely not for everyone, but I like it. Those fragheads of you out there, will probably need time to recover from the citronella eucalyptus mentholated kick! As a confirmed menth head, I loved it!

My JR Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378 generated a delightful, highly mentholated slick lather that provided a very slippery carpeting for the A. Witte Co. Copperhead 6/8 razor to sweep through. This razor has maintained an awesome buttery smooth edge which seemed to melt my mug stubble. Or maybe it was just the menthol fumes? In any case three passes were all she wrote to put the baby to bed. I will say that this is not stuff one wants to get in his or her eye! Again this shave croap is not for everybody, but I love it! Cryogen was pleasantly cooling, but always dried out my skin. The tallow in this croap left my skin feeling well hydrated! Two ATG dome passes with the LeCoq Cagehead left your very pleased narrator feeling refreshed, cool and porcelain smooth!

RAZOR: A. Witte Copperhead 6/8 (Mug), LeCoq Cagehead (Dome)
BRUSH: JR Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
CROAP: Stirling Glacial Electric Sheep
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 620 boar brush
Palmolive shaving stuck
Micromatic Clog-Pruf SE
GEM PTFE-coated day 2
Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic
Beene Bowling Green :)
Regards,
Tim