SOTD April 19 - April 25, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD April 19 - April 25, 2021

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: J.M. Fraser's
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Gillette Aftershave Gel, Sensitive Skin
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: SOTD April 19 - April 25, 2021

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue C3 Torga Mistura
Palmolive hard shave soap
EJ Barley/RR Mentor razor
Gillette Platinum blade 5
Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal
Prada Luna Rossa Carbon*

*This is potentially an interesting frag for the barbershop fan. It's sort of like a barbershop on Mars. There's something cold about it, but it has the shaving foam vibe that Rive Gauche PH did, minus the clove and star anise but with a spikier, more medicinal lavender. I'd sort of trace a line from Azzaro Pour Homme through the metallic edge of Chanel Platinum Egoiste and then through the spiced Barbasol heart of Rive Gauche PH to Luna Rossa Carbon. It lacks anise and doesn't have the same panache of Azzaro, but it is a fresh, contemporary take on some similar masculine tropes. I like it, even if it is rather synthetic.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

D857378A-D14B-49E1-A778-7075B2D96E6F.png
D857378A-D14B-49E1-A778-7075B2D96E6F.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 3703 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, APRIL 20, 2021

This morning’s shave featured the whisker cleaver, the new-to-me Ellis & Allan 8/8 Stubtail. The edge on this 1815 vintage full wedge blade is truly whisker-melting sharp. I’ve never come across a stubtail of this age with as wide a blade. I’ve wondered whether it was purposefully crafted that wide given the crude water and human-powered grinding wheels of that era with the expectation that it would, after honing, approximate the then-known thinner widths? Those of you with a better stubtail knowledge than I please chime in! Although initially hesitant given its sheer mass when compared to my other razors at 4.29 oz, a week long focus helped me dial it in, and now I really enjoy the mug shaves it delivers. The thing I like about my wedge razors is the absolute silence they operate in unlike the buttering toast refrains of more modern hollow grinds. In any case my three usual mug passes left me very smooth.

I enjoy shaving with French Cagehead safety razors. I own a LeCoq fixed cage and two Famex adjustable Cageheads. For some reason I’ve always shaved with the Frankenrazor version consisting of a Rockwell top cap and an ATT Atlas handle and have never shaved with the complete Famex. So this morning I pulled it out, adjusted it to my preferred level of efficiency, and proceeded to enjoy a pure Famex shave. The jury’s still out , but I do think I prefer it to the Frankenrazor version. The MrEE Gold Anodized Aluminum handled and aptly named “Monster”, generated scads of rich Soap Commander lather. Given the sheer size of these tubs, I expect the soap to outlast me. The tuxedo synth knot just feels great, and two ATG passes left my noggin dolphin smooth. I feel refreshed, cool, and velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: Ellis & Allan 8/8 Stubtail (Mug), Famex Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Sharp Star DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE LE Aluminum Monster Tuxedo Synth
SOAP: Soap Commander Honor
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue #620 bristle
Palmolive shave soap
EJ Barley/RR Mentor
Gillette Platinum #6
Bigelow Galen splash
Azzaro Pour Homme*

*vintage
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Strop Shoppe Solsetio soap
Zenith boar brush
Wade & Butcher blonde wedge razor
Alum block
Superior 70 Mentolado splash
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

919B6878-2636-422D-ACDB-A82EA6E1B1CA.png
919B6878-2636-422D-ACDB-A82EA6E1B1CA.png (878.73 KiB) Viewed 3675 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, APRIL 21, 2021

Last night I used my son’s Shapton Progression to hone one of two old Thistle Cut vintage straights I have, the Persian. I worked it right up to the 30K stone, and now understand the true meaning of scary sharp. I usually blunt the toe point on my Non-round toed straights, but for some reason forgot. Never again! Two divots, one on my right cheek, and the other on my right neck as I was doing a toe down final mug pass will serve as a reminder in the future. The blade tip was so incredibly sharp that I never felt the occurrence. Styptic gel took care of things thankfully. I selected a Gillette New SC for what turned out to be an uneventful two pass noggin shave. I feel refreshed, chastened, but still very smooth!

RAZOR: Thistle Cut “Persian” 5/8 (Mug), Gillette New SC
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Tuxedo Synth
CROAP: Stirling Glacial Electric Sheep
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub and Cremo Cooling Balm.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Mistura in Taj Resin
Cyril R. Salter tallowate soap
EJ Barley Chrome w/Mentor
Gillette Plat blade shave #7
Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic a/s
Dunhill for Men cologne 8)
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

83F3C476-C6CA-4970-8F5E-5330C1CF5B77.png
83F3C476-C6CA-4970-8F5E-5330C1CF5B77.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 3651 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, APRIL 22, 2021

Intrigued with the edge on the Thistle Cut Persian 4/8 yesterday, I ran my second Thistle Cut 5/8 through the same Shapton progression last night, ending on the 30K and this time blunting the square tip before running it through the two pasted and third leather stropping. Well, boys and girls, the result was an edge directly comparable to the Feather Super edge in my Feather DX barber’s razor. The styrofoam peanut test was identical.

The only difference this time was I used Howard Schlechter’s edge killing trick on the corner of the 30K before restoring it with a final polish on the jasper stone before stropping. The result was a fabulous, porcelain smooth three pass mug result with no red fluid. My trusty little Ronson safety razor delivered its usual two pass noggin result, in the process putting the baby not just to bed, but into a veritable coma. Deciding to live dangerously, I broke out the Florida Water to cap off a truly epic shave.

RAZOR: Thistle Cut 5/8 (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor
BLADE: Schick Proline B-20 Injector
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CREAM: Baume.BE
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac. Finished with Murray & Lanman Florida Water and Cremo Cooling Balm.
pausted

Post by pausted »

AOS Peppermint cream
Proraso boar brush
Rockwell 6C razor (plate #3)
Personna Lab Blue blade
Dominica Bay Rum aftershave

I finally broke down and bought a Rockwell. Today was the first shave. I would compare the aggressiveness of the plate #3 to a Jagger DE89. I’ll stay on plate #3 for awhile and try different blades. I think it will perform well with some sharper blades. The Lab Blue provided a DFS in two passes. We’ll see what it would do with a Nacet or Silver Blue, for example. It will be fun to experiment.
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 1470 boar
Salter shaving soap
MM Clog-Pruf razor
GEM PTFE blade #3
Bigelow Galen a/s
Patrick EDT spray
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

E89A2A6D-C89D-4438-BFE8-A8C49371BD25.png
E89A2A6D-C89D-4438-BFE8-A8C49371BD25.png (992.45 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, APRIL 23, 2021

I thought I might have to spend all night on this Shumate 5/8 Tungsten steel wavy old edge! That is some hard steel! The 1k scratch pattern just didn’t want to polish away! The Norton 4/8k finally made some progress, then the Naniwa 12k smoothed out most of the roughness. It was three sets of successively diluted slurries on the jasper, however, that left me with the mirror bright, styrofoam popping bevel I like. Two rounds of pasted and one leather stropping delivered whisker melting perfection, in the prior process requiring a variety of strokes on the stones that one well-known honemeister refers to as hone gymnastics.

Nevertheless, despite all that, the result was an epic buttery smooth three pass mug shave for the history books. I sometimes wonder if there are some steels one could continue to shave with without maintenance stropping. It’s just that when one gets the kind of edges I’ve managed to coax out of the stones lately, you feel like you’re on a roll! My friend, Bill, tells me that I wouldn’t have to go through all the hone gymnastics I currently do, if I were willing to learn bumpy hones (ie convex hones). Given how well I do with flat hones, the jury’s still out. There’s really not much to say about my noggin shave. All I’ll say is I used the Nickel-plated Shake Sharp model. All my three Shake Sharps deliver flawless, dolphin smooth dome shaves, and this morning’s was no exception.

RAZOR: Shumate Tungsten Steel 5/8 (Mug), Shake Sharp Nickel Model 2
BLADES: 2 Stacked Feather DE
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CROAP: A&E Kaizen
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue #620 boar brush
Speick hard shaving stick
GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf
GEM PTFE blade shave #4
Bigelow Galen aftershave
Declaration d'un Soir EDT
Regards,
Tim

pausted

Post by pausted »

MWF soap
Omega 80097 boar brush
Rockwell 6C razor (plate #3)
Gillette Nacet blade
Dominica Bay Rum aftershave

The Nacet gave a little bit closer shave but not as much difference as I was expecting. Will be moving on to plate #4.
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue #1470 boar brush
Salter lavender shave soap
RR Gamechanger .84 razor
Gillette Platinum shave #1
CO Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic
Bleu de Chanel EDT spray*

*an excellent all-season wear, very well-constructed
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

C9EA7E87-E116-4F6D-B154-6FBE344D1C39.png
C9EA7E87-E116-4F6D-B154-6FBE344D1C39.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 3572 times
SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, APRIL 25, 2021

Great shave this morning featuring my Victor Creazzi masterpiece, “Bone Mosaic” and my father’s Gillette Black Beauty. While not a fan of Gillette TTOs, two of my three adjustables, this Black Beauty and a Slim, belonged to my dad, a Navy veteran who served from 1938 to 1972. He passed at 99 in 2013. Both mug and dome shaves went uneventfully well, leaving me refreshed, cool, smooth and clean.

RAZOR: Victor Creazzi’s “Bone Mosaic” 7/8 (Mug), Gillette Black Beauty (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 with 26mm Two Band Badger Ferrule
CROAP: Stirling Glacial Electric Sheep
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub.