Re: SOTD Sept 27 - Oct 3, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Erasmic
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Brut
Cologne / Fragrance: Brut

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Torga C5 boar
Speick hard soap stuck
Gillette LH Adjustable
Gillette Perma-Sharp 1
C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen
Caron PuH Sport EDT**

**this continues to be a remarkable scent for me, very versatile and quietly complex; the ambergris note in the drydown is stunning
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: T&H Rose
Blade: Gillette Nacet
A/S: Family Dollar Spice Scent
Cologne / Fragrance: vintage Old Spice

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A quickie today as off to the city for a day luxuriating in the tender loving arms of the Hematology Clinic. Merkur Vision (second to mildest setting), Merkur blade, Cremo Cream, Mr Taylor cologne:

SOTD280921.jpeg
SOTD280921.jpeg (425.45 KiB) Viewed 3630 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pausted

Post by pausted »

Whipped Dog High Mountain White badger brush
Stirling Glacial Citrus soap
Gem Clog Pruf razor
Gem Stainless PTFE blade
Nivea Cooling balm
4711 EdC
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Joris soap
SilkSmoke brush
General razor
Schick Proline blade
Superior 70 splash
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

D97515D7-D2D6-48B1-B0A2-171AE4F1FADA.jpeg
D97515D7-D2D6-48B1-B0A2-171AE4F1FADA.jpeg (504.48 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 28, 2021

Today I took the new-to-me JA Hellberg 5/8 Frameback out for a spin. The razor arrived supposedly “shave ready”, and passed the styrofoam peanut test (SPT) easily on both the toe and the heel, but did not do so in the middle of the bevel, interestingly enough. I'm sure it would have shaved just fine as is, but being a bit OCD when it comes to my edges, I decided to take it to my two slates for a touch up.

So I first went to the Imperia LaRoccia which has always impressed me (YMMV) as a great mid-level finisher, particularly with a 600k DMT built slurry. It works beautifully as a preliminary to my 9 Ball Slate which I use with a drop of Smith’s honing oil. That was the case last night. After a bit of focus on the middle of the edge, it passed the SPT. The finish on the 9 Ball focused on the complete bevel. I then burnished on the Jasper and put it through the 4 sided pasted constroption.

The resulting mug shave with this fourth and last of my Swedish razors was excellent, although I’d have to say that the shaves with the CV Heljestrand and Klas Tornblom 4/8 were just a smidge better.The three passes with the Hellberg brought me to the same level of smoothness I’d achieved in two passes with the latter two razors. My noggin shave with the Rex Ambassador was excellent as always. I feel cool, clean and porcelain smooth.

RAZOR: JA Hellberg Frameback 5/8 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Kai DE (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE LE Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot #007
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with PAA Frost Byte.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue SOC boar - ash
Speick shave stick (old)*
Gillette LH Adjustable**
GIllette Perma-Sharp 2
Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic
Prada Luna Rossa Carbon

*the tallowate version has been discontinued, as the company that made the base has folded :cry:
**I have wound up holding onto a couple of vintage Gillettes, and I'm always glad when I use them; this one was the first razor I ever used extensively enough to master and remains a favorite. I have a backup. :D
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

drmoss_ca wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:57 am A quickie today as off to the city for a day luxuriating in the tender loving arms of the Hematology Clinic. Merkur Vision (second to mildest setting), Merkur blade, Cremo Cream, Mr Taylor cologne:

SOTD280921.jpeg
All the best, Doc! Hope things continue positively for you!

Jeff
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Waleda
Blade: Gillette Nacet
A/S: The Veg
Cologne / Fragrance: Kouros

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Joining in with the Joris/Plisson soap solidarity movement today. Though for my preferences no French soap can touch a traditional English soap.

TI 5/8 damascus horn scales, Joris/Plisson soap, Rooney Finest, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur:

SOTD290921.jpeg
SOTD290921.jpeg (467.13 KiB) Viewed 3555 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

There may be good news regarding Joris soap, which would explain the excellent performance of the product. Reading earlier posts about the two separate products we refer to as Joris/Plisson soaps, the posts at SMF (by Gordon and others) and other members in other forums all seem to confirm Joris has always been made in England, while Plisson soap is indeed French.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

My soap, sadly, has that characteristic French shaving soap smell (common to Martin de Candre, Pré de Provence, Provence Santé) of dilute Harpic, so it must be the Plisson stuff. At one time Plisson was rebranded Joris soap.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Unfortunately I know exactly what you're describing! The soap I have is definitely not that foul smelling stuff! :D Thank goodness!

"JORIS" shaving soap
Optimal moisturizing and protection of the skin.
Shaving soap made in England.
Several months of use.
Delivered in a luxurious green and gold box
Gary

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

E1D6C9FE-DB9F-49A2-A7CC-FF340A37A90F.png
E1D6C9FE-DB9F-49A2-A7CC-FF340A37A90F.png (1.8 MiB) Viewed 3501 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 30, 2021

My mug shave this morning featured the second go round with my new razor, the Katsumi 14/13, from the very talented razorsmith, Andrey Shpakopskiy (@Gipson), of Gipson Razors in Kiev, Ukraine. It is easily the widest razor I own, and after the last couple of shaves with petite little Swedish 4/8 razors, took a bit to get used to again.

I do love smiling razors and the Katsumi, Andrey’s homage to the Japanese Saito SK series of smiling blades, is a fantastic shaver. A half hollow grind, while a bit heavier than the full hollowed Saito SK models, to which it pays tribute, nevertheless delivered an extremely close and comfortable shave in three very slow, luxurious passes, leaving me with a velveteen smooth mug.

The noggin shave was every bit as good and featured my Leresche 51. This little razor is surprisingly efficient and possesses a very slight almost undetectable wave in its OC. Whether this is unique to my particular razor or a feature of the design, the two pass ATG shave it delivers is always first rate. Both shaves benefited from the Castle & Forbes Lime shave cream which provided a delightfully limey aroma throughout the shave. The finish with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne was the icing on the cake.

RAZOR: Gipson Katsumi 14/13 (Mug), Leresche 51 (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CREAM: Castle Forbes Lime
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue SOC 2-band Finest
TOBS Aloe Vera shave cream
Gillette LH Black Beauty DE
Gillette Perma-Sharp blade
CO Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic
John Varvatos Vintage EDT

The Aloe Vera cream has a profoundly rich geranium note. Great stuff, and as I understand it, discontinued.
Regards,
Tim

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Maybe a benefit, or maybe a curse, but I'm still struggling to figure out how to expose Ilford Delta 3200 and then develop it in Diafine. This was at EI1250 and is still too thin and too damn grainy, so the next roll will be divided into EI640 and EI800.

TI Eagle 6/8 Thursday, Penhaligon's English Fern Soap and cologne, Somerset Simpson E3 Super:

Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

A3F8622B-7495-43E9-9320-09D7DA7ACD1F.jpeg
A3F8622B-7495-43E9-9320-09D7DA7ACD1F.jpeg (464.77 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 1, 2021

Welcome to Open Comb October. Congratulations to Joe (@Trigger) for his willingness to pick up the reins and carry on. As an active member of many FB Shaving Forums and a member here at TSD for a couple of years, I’ll make it a point to direct wet shaving newbies and any others interested in developing their technique this way to the 30DC Thread here at TSD. Want to master a particular safety razor, learn the finer points of bowl or face lathering, learning about the use of various fragrances, or even learning to straight shave or improve on any of the latter skills.

Everyone, regardless of their level of experience can learn here. I shaved with the same Schick Krona for 50 years and learned about RAD on this very forum! I also learned to straight shave properly here and expand my RAD illness. But seriously, it’s a great place for making friends, learning shave technique and having fun. It pulled this old man out of the doldrums. It’s a fun place! We learn, make great friends, poke friendly fun at each other and share all kinds of shenanigans.

In the spirit of OC October I decided to go old school, and grabbed my 1840s H. Hobson Sheffield Wedge for this morning’s mug shave.. Full wedge razors are not for everyone. Honing them is a bit of a pain. Three pieces of tape on the spine does it for this particular razor which I just touched up last night on the 9 Ball slate and jasper. For anyone used to hollow ground razors, the absolute silence of a wedge is kind of spooky. But three delightfully smooth passes left your happy narrator porcelain smooth.

Instead of my usual MWF, I decided to use my Glacial Electric Sheep from Stirling. I enjoy the cooling lather, and the post shave feel it delivers which is close to, but not quite MWF. It really provides a slick surface, and is easily built into the two kinds of lathers I enjoy for my shave, thin and wet for the mug and a bit more yogurty for the noggin. The OC Gillette Big Fellow (1920) from that model’s second year of production cleared away the dome stubble nicely in the usual two ATG passes leaving yours truly velveteen smooth from the shoulders up.

RAZOR: H. Hobson 6/8 (Mug), Gillette Big Fellow (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Stirling Glacial Electric Sheep
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite and Canoe Original EdT.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Owners' Club Taj Mistura
DR Harris Marlborough shave soap
Gillette Long-Handled Adjustable
Gillette Perma-Sharp blade day 5
CO Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal Tonic
Caron Le Troiseme Homme EDT :D
Regards,
Tim

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

1958 Gold Fat Boy, Merkur blade, RazoRock Caprician Lemons, Somerset PJ2 Super, Taylor's No.74 Victorian Limes:

SOTD011021.jpeg
SOTD011021.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3452 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace