SOTD Oct 11 - Oct 17, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

8ACFDEC8-D485-45DA-9A0D-4634BBDF4BD0.png
8ACFDEC8-D485-45DA-9A0D-4634BBDF4BD0.png (2.13 MiB) Viewed 3466 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 11, 2021

Even though this is OC October, every now and then we need to break from the routine. For this morning’s mug shave I grabbed one of my favorite vintage straight razors, the Frederick Reynolds 5/8 Rattler grind. It also happens to be my most challenging razor to hone as it just happens to be the iconic example of a wavy bladed razor. Rattlers were ground vertically instead of horizontally to achieve their amazingly uniform blade thinness from bevel to pronounced spine.

The fellow gave me a great deal on this razor which he pronounced “unhoneable“, if that’s a word. After some experimentation, I learned to maintain consistent contact between edge and spine by torquing the blade to primarily use the edge of my hone. That's what worked with this razor which has gone on to reward me with excellent mug shaves. And boy does this little beauty belt out the buttering toast song throughout the shave. Three clean passes with some final flatblading and I was dolphin smooth.

Castle Forbes Lime Shave cream is really nice stuff, and readily lends itself to the two kinds of lather I like for my shaves. Thinner slicker lather for the mug shave, and a thicker more protective lather for the noggin. So instead of an OC I grabbed my Rex Ambassador, a razor that was initially defective, but was made right by Matt Pisarcik of Razor Emporium. I really enjoy the blade feel when shaving my dome with this wonderful razor wide open. Two ATG passes completed my morning shave ritual, leaving your happy narrator velveteen smooth from shoulders to dome.

RAZOR: Frederick Reynolds Rattler Grind 5/8 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CREAM: Castle Forbes Lime
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Imperial Leather
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Nacet
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"

Mike
klinker

Re: SOTD Oct 11 - Oct 17, 2021

Post by klinker »

dpNcHy0.png
dpNcHy0.png (4.07 MiB) Viewed 3475 times
Blackland Brassbird OC / Polsilver Super Iridium
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 26mm Maggard SHD Fan
Zingari Man The Watchman Sego Shaving Soap & Aftershave
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue SOC 2-band Finest - cherry
Homemade blue cypress shave soap
Razorock Gamechanger .84 DE razor
Gillette Perma-Sharp blade shave 2
C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal Tonic
Generous lashings of Solo Loewe edt
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gillette Pure cream, used brushless
Muhle R89 razor
Gillette Minora stainless blade
Nivea Cooling balm
4711 EdC
Best regards,

Basil
klinker

Post by klinker »

FKRVjmM (1).png
FKRVjmM (1).png (3.76 MiB) Viewed 3447 times
Tatara Masamune OC / Feather
Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic
Ethos Mélange d’agrumes X 2
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue SOC TSN LE silvertip
TOBS Cedarwood shave cream
Razorock Gamechanger .84 DE
Gillette Perma-Sharp shave #3
CO Bigelow Dr. Galen Tonic a/s
Roger & Gallet Open EDT spray
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning brought up a brand new stick of Tabac. Everyone's dependable old favorite. Always a great lather.
SilkSmoke synthetic brush
General razor
Kai Captain blade
Superior 70 Mentolado splash
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

80DCABA2-AD19-48AD-89FF-2B44161208C0.jpeg
80DCABA2-AD19-48AD-89FF-2B44161208C0.jpeg (665.74 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
6739C6DF-AFBE-465F-B7C2-31373C95C786.jpeg
6739C6DF-AFBE-465F-B7C2-31373C95C786.jpeg (440.05 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 12, 2021

Today’s mug shave featured my new Gipson razor, the Katsumi 14/13. It is easily the largest razor in my collection, but it shaves beautifully. Andrey, the proprietor of Gipson razor set out to build a tribute to the Saito SK series of Japanese razors. This razor is extremely well-balanced in hand, and despite its size shaves smoothly. I realize it is representative of a trend towards wider larger razors, but don’t plan on getting anything larger than 8/8. It’s a question of the bulk or sheer size of these larger razors. My preference is more towards smaller, more nimble shavers. I’m really getting a kick out of shaving with a number of wonderfully maneuverable little 4/8 Swedish razors lately. In any case, this is a keeper. Three passes with some final flatblading, which is admittedly more of a challenge with a wider blade, left me pleasantly smooth.smooth.

My 26mm boar knot became detached from its Alpha Shaving T-400 ferrule some time ago. I reset it with epoxy instead of marine silicon paste. It's in there to stay this time! As many know, my regular shave soap is MWF. Many complain of lathering issues with the latter, but the secret for me has been the use of a good stiff brush, and the patience to wait while the lather builds. After the great thin slick lather for my mug shave, I returned to the bowl and continued to build the kind of thick, yogurty lather for which MWF has no peer. The very stiff boar knot did the job, and left me with a beautiful protective lather carpet for the Barbasol Floating Head (BFH) to make good use of. That early 1930s safety razor is hyper efficient and left my noggin velveteen smooth after two slow, careful ATG passes, because Madame BFH demands respect or she will bite.

RAZOR: Gipson Katsumi 14/13 (Mug), Barbasol Floating Head (Dome)
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute with 26mm Boar Knot Ferrule
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
klinker

Post by klinker »

DSCb_6107.png
DSCb_6107.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 3391 times
Barbasol Floating Head / Polsilver Super Iridium
Oumo 20 Master Series "Ox" 28mm Lotus Manchuria SHD
Ethos Grooming Essentials Greenfresh Premium Soap & Aftershave
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

C0902355-9055-4744-A1C3-2489556153E6.png
C0902355-9055-4744-A1C3-2489556153E6.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 3389 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 13, 2021

The days are getting much shorter as we move towards winter. Shortly after purchasing my Rigarazor 7/8 about a year or so ago, I dropped It, and chipped the edge requiring a new bevel set. It wasn’t until after a touch up on the 9 Ball slate that I really began to enjoy the shave it delivers. The steel Sergej uses is quite hard and really holds a nice edge. Two mug passes with some additional buffing and some final flatblading to smooth those troublesome old man neck whiskers of mine, and I was delightfully smooth.

The Castle Forbes Lime lather’s scent is so enjoyable. The Alpha Shaving’s T-400 26mm Tuxedo Synth ferrule was firm yet incredibly soft while spreading the nice thick yogurty lather all over my noggin. The Leresche 77 seems at times to be the almost perfect headshaver. While my Shake Sharps hold the supreme headshaving title, the 77 is a very close second. The 69 gram silver plated beauty is a masterpiece of safety razor design. Two ATG passes and I‘m ready to face the rigors of the day, porcelain smooth from dome to neck.

RAZOR: Rigarazor 7/8 (Mug), Leresche 77 (Dome)
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute with 26mm Tuxedo Synth Ferrule
CREAM: Castle Forbes Lime
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue SOC Mistura Taj resin
Taylor of Old Bond Cedarwood
Razorock Gamechanger .84 DE
Gillette Perma-Sharp shave #3
C.O. Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal
Terre d'Hermes Eau de Toilette
Regards,
Tim

klinker

Post by klinker »

DSC_6087 (1).png
DSC_6087 (1).png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3362 times
Rex Ambassador @3 / Gillette Nacet
AP Shave Co. 24mm Mixed Badger/Boar Fan
B&M Le Grand Chypre Shaving Soap & Aftershave
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Imperial Leather
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Nacet
A/S: Power Stick (Dollar Tree balm)
Cologne / Fragrance: Canoe

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Brut
Cologne / Fragrance: Brut + added some Brut Splash-on just for good measure.

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

3FEC88C9-33E7-412E-BE65-F23D1157DC68.jpeg
3FEC88C9-33E7-412E-BE65-F23D1157DC68.jpeg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 3354 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 14, 2021

We all have certain shaving tools we like, and today’s extremely close shave featured two vintage favorites that never fail to deliver. My Manhattan Cutlery Sheffield 13/16 is just a fabulous mug shaver. Well-balanced with what seems like the perfect heft in hand, it sailed through my mug whiskers floating on its slick MWF lather for the first two passes.

Frank, a friend at SRP, suggested I try a scything stroke on my recalcitrant, old man neck whiskers instead of flatblading. After those first two passes, I tried it on the right side of my neck. The pinkish lather indicated I need more practice. I flat bladed the left side, and, quite frankly, was happier with that result, even though flatblading seems to dull the razor at a greater rate. But hey, that’s why the shaving gods provided sharpening stones.

In any case, I think I’ll be sticking with flatblading. The four graduated pastes on my constroption seem to restore the edge with no issue. If the continued practice requires more frequent visits to my touch up stones, that’s not a problem. Despite a slightly irritated right side of my neck as indicated by the alum, your happy narrator’s mug otherwise was left delightfully smooth.

My Shake Sharps are without doubt my best, hand-down noggin shavers. Although designed in the late thirties to “shake sharpen” the thicker carbon blades of the era with their built in hone, WWII intervened coupled with the advent of sharper, thinner SS blades negating the initial selling point and value proposition. The irony is that with two stacked SS Feather DE blades, there is no better headshaver. I don't think I’ve ever nicked myself with this little razor.

I own three which all perform similarly, but the little Bakelite handled Model 1.5 used this morning is my preferred model. The initial model had a head that slid entirely off the baseplate. This rare little transitional model features the attached, hinged, sliding top cap that was adopted for the later nickel and gold washed metal handled versions. Anyways, two automatic ATG passes and your truly was smooth as his great-granddaughter’s bum from shoulders to dome.

RAZOR: Manhattan Cutlery 13/16 (Mug), Shake Sharp Model 1.5 (Dome)
BLADES: Two Stacked Feather DE
BRUSH: JT Sapele/Resin Handled Omega Pro48 Boar Knot
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue SOC 2-band Finest Cherry
Taylor of Old Bond Cedarwood crm
Razorock Gamechanger .84P razor
Gillette Perma-Sharp blade day #4
CO Bigelow Dr. Galen Herbal Tonic
Guerlain Vetiver Eau de Toilette 8)
Regards,
Tim

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Waleda
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Skin Bracer
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

5C0A8334-C423-46BD-BC62-B1FF7A539D61.jpeg
5C0A8334-C423-46BD-BC62-B1FF7A539D61.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 15, 2021

Unlike some of you, I started my open edge journey with straight razors, and then began using barber’s razors/shavettes. Now I realize that the term shavette is properly attributed to Dovo who originated it, but it has become common parlance for any replaceable blade open edge shaving device. After a brief fling with DE and injector based shavettes which I found too light, I moved to AC Barber’s razors, starting with the SS model which never felt like a true straight, probably because of the pronounced lip around the edge. The DX was a different story. The only issue I ever had with it was its size. The edge shaved and felt much more like a true straight.

However, it wasn’t until a good friend began talking up this new straight being designed in Switzerland that I began to pay attention. So I bit the bullet and ordered one which was priced comparable to a custom straight out of Ukraine or Latvia. Since I’d held off, I wasn’t eligible for the 30% off deal for the first 100 buyers, which my friend, Bill, participated in, but I do not regret the purchase. Far from it, this is the only shavette/barber’s razor that actually feels like I’m shaving with a well-honed straight, particularly after being fitted with a Feather Super blade. Two mug passes with some final buffing and flatblading on those troublesome neck whiskers, and I was as smooth as I like to be. The Tedalus Essence is just a superbly designed shaver.

Although I wasn’t part of the initial 100 buyers of the Tedalus, I was one of the initial buyers of Fine Shaving’s all SS safety razor entitled the “World’s Finest Razor”. This SS safety razor was, according to Fine Shaving, intended as an homage to the Gillette New LC. The New LC is an awesome OC safety razor. This particular razor was not an OC and is no longer sold by Fine Accoutrements, and that pretty much says it all. It’s a decent razor, but isn’t in the same category as the New LC. Honestly, Fine really had nothing to prove! Their little $40 “Marvel” was already an aptly named incredible little shaver. In any case it took three ATG noggin passes this morning to leave me oh-so-smooth from dome to shoulders.

RAZOR: Tedalus Essence (Mug), Fine SS Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super (Mug), Feather DE (Dome)
BRUSH: MrEE LE Aluminum Handle SynBad Knot
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.
pausted

Post by pausted »

KMF Lavender cream
Stirling High Mountain White brush
Muhle R89 razor
Gillette Minora Stainless blade
Nivea Cooling balm
4711 EdC
Best regards,

Basil