SOTD November 15 - November 21

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD November 15 - November 21

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Razor: Hoffritz Slant
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Barbasol Brisk
Cologne / Fragrance: Primitive Man

Mike
klinker

Re: SOTD November 15 - November 21

Post by klinker »

Monday 11.15.21 SOTD
Tatara Masamune OC / Personna‌ ‌Platinum‌
Yaqi Heavy Metal Short Handle 24mm Silvertip
Ethos Lavender Supreme Premium Shave Soap & AS
Attachments
DSC_6842.png
DSC_6842.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 3615 times
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Torga C3 Mistura
Speick shave soap w/tallow
Razorock Gamechanger .84
Gillette Nacet blade day 1
CO Bigelow No. 047 splash
Lanvin L'Homme Sport edt
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

7FCA7E2C-EA55-4178-B844-E60F22928C4A.jpeg
7FCA7E2C-EA55-4178-B844-E60F22928C4A.jpeg (3.37 MiB) Viewed 3606 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 15, 2021

This morning I broke out the last of my four Japanese razors, the Hoshi Tombo 8000. This folding Kamisori blade is a symmetrical hollow grind that feels great in hand and holds an amazingly buttery smooth, sharp edge. Although it didn’t need it, last night I touched it up on the 9 Ball Slate and the Schlecter constroption with its four sides of graduated pastes. Then 40 on the roo-skin bench strop, and all was right with the world. There’s something about straight razors with shorter length blades (shorties) and my Swedish 4/8 razors that seems perfect for my neck whiskers, the bane of many straight shavers.

My old man neck whiskers swirl in a clockwise direction on either side of my Adam’s Apple (AA). Getting these areas as smooth as I’d like is a real challenge with longer straight razor blades, and much easier with my Shorties and Swedes which are more maneuverable in my arthritic hands. My touchup last night yielded a whisker destroying two and a half pass masterpiece mug shave this morning. It felt like I was just scooping away the MWF lather with each stroke resulting in a progressively smoother and smoother runway. Shorties seem perfect for the challenging scything strokes on each side of the AA, which left only a hint of stubble for a few flatblading scoops to complete the total velveteenization of my mug.

After that great mug shave, I needed a comparable noggin shave, and since I’d only shaved yesterday with my favorite vintage safety razor, the G.E. Jones Shake Sharp, I reached for the best adjustable in my den, the Rex Ambassador. Matt Pisarcik, its developer, prototyped it initially in 2016-2017 in brass based on his extensive safety razor repair background which had led to a deep understanding of adjustable safety razor design. The razor was announced for pre-orders at Big Shave West in 2017 and rolled out by the last two quarters of that year. All Rex Ambassadors have a unique serial number and are constructed from stainless steel in a CNC manufacturing process. My razor dates to 2019, and despite an initial hiccup, which Matt remedied on his dime, is a tremendous shaver. It completed the velveteenization of your very pleased narrator’s noggin in two ATG passes on 6 and 4 respectively.

RAZOR: Hoshi Tombo 8000 6/8 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Williams Aqua Velva (Spanish Version)
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
klinker

Post by klinker »

Tuesday SOTD
Gillette ‘67 M2 Slim @5 / Nacet / Vtg. Ever Ready F-40 24mm Oumo Boar / Reuzel Shave Cream & AS
Attachments
AnyvHwh (1).png
AnyvHwh (1).png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 3574 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

013ED91A-780E-479F-8381-79F43C4B6E2B.png
013ED91A-780E-479F-8381-79F43C4B6E2B.png (1.99 MiB) Viewed 3572 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 16, 2021

It was definitely time to pull out some long-neglected shaving tools this morning. Ever since acquiring the Tedalus Essence, just an amazing barber’s razor, I’ve been neglecting my formerly stalwart Feather DX. It definitely fits into the shorty open edge shaver category as does the Tedalus. As I’ve said in earlier posts, I really like shorties. And the Feather DX has never let me down on that score. A friend from down under, Russell, is responsible for my adoption of the Feather Super blade. It is the hands-down, sharpest, closest cutting AC blade available, and this morning’s two and a half pass mug shave was a delight leaving my face clean and porcelain smooth.

I enjoy using safety razors of both the DE and SE varieties, although if I have my druthers, I tend to tip in the SE direction. The modern G.E. Jone Shake Sharp is probably my favorite, although it is in a rather unique category all its own as it uses DE blades. My preferred injector blade shaver is the modern Supply razor, followed closely by the vintage Schick E Type. Now my favorite injector blade is the Schick Twinblade which works in the Supply and L Type and later injector razors. The silver-plated Paul Revere L Type was a promotion between Schick and International Silver during the 1971-76 period. I really like the long handle, and when fitted with a Gillette Injector Twinblade always delivers a two pass ATG velveteen result as it did this morning.

RAZOR: Feather DX (Mug), Schick “Paul Revere” L Type (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug), Schick Injector Twinblade (Dome)
BRUSH: MrEE LE Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot #007
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Lilac Vegetal.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Traditional Shaving Co. Limes cream
WCS Tuxedo synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Schick Proline blade
Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
Royall Lyme all purpose lotion
Best regards,

Basil
klinker

Post by klinker »

Wednesday 11.17.21 SOTD
CG Everyday / Nacet
Vtg. Butterscotch Opal 20mm Silvertip
ZM/B&M Nocturne Shaving Soap & AS
Soap & AS were 50 percent off at Maggard. Despite mixed reviews, I wanted to try this soap, hoping the scent and performance would live up to the artwork, which I love. No such luck. Unlike many reviewers, I didn’t find the scent objectionable. I just didn’t find much scent. Yes, once properly hydrated, the lather has the predicted consistency of sour cream. And yes, it does go flying everywhere. I’m glad I didn’t pay full price. Still got a decent shave, BBS in three passes.
Attachments
DSC_6970 (1).png
DSC_6970 (1).png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 3544 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

41057726-A5C3-4F56-8A9B-04BF9399B384.jpeg
41057726-A5C3-4F56-8A9B-04BF9399B384.jpeg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 3542 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 17, 2021

A honemeister friend recommended Thistle Cut razors to me about a year or so ago. The fine grained steel holds an amazing edge he said! So I went out on the big auction site and found this razor at that time. When it arrived, the blade was black with tarnish and rust. Some industrious cleanup revealed a blade logo complete with a name and embossed scimitar. I was the proud owner of a Thistle “Persian”. Thistle Cutlery, according to a reputable B&B source was in business between 1890-1917. They were initially based in New York and later moved to Fremont, Ohio. Persian/Middle Eastern themes were popular in this country during the first two decades of the company’s existence, placing this particular blade between about 1890-1910.

In any case a trip through my Shapton progression and a finish on my Jasper stone put a very nice buttery smooth edge on it. The original horn scales were still in decent condition. The mug shaves this little razor delivered were every bit as good as advertised. So good, in fact, that I went out and acquired a second Thistle. As time passed, I debated whether to send my little “Persian” off for a western beauty treatment, but I’ve come to appreciate the patina on the blade. This little century old razor has character! A touch up on my Swaty and constroption last night yielded an amazingly two and a half pass shave. This blade is so exquisitely sharp, that it left very little stubble on either side of my Adam’s Apple for flatblading cleanup.

Following that great mug shave, I grabbed my Gibbs Adjustable #17 for today’s dome shave. Gibbs razors were made by Thibaud Gibbs & Co. in Paris and Brussels in the 1930s. They are renowned for the smoothness of the shave they deliver, and served as one of the design influences for the modern Rex Ambassador (RA). Like the Gibbs, the RA has a 6 position adjustment dial. The modern DE end tabs require a central notch be cut to fit the Gibbs. Some use cuticle scissors, but I use a metal nipper that works excellently for the latter purpose. After notching a fresh Kai blade and loading it, yours truly proceeded to have a superb two pass ATG noggin shave resulting in velveteen smoothness from dome to shoulders.

RAZOR: Thistle “Persian” (Mug), Gibbs Adjustable #17 (Dome)
BLADE: Kai DE (Dome)
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Thayers WH. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Cream: Pollena Lider
A/S: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne / Fragrance: Stetson Caliber

Mike
klinker

Post by klinker »

Thursday 11.18.21 SOTD
ATT Windsor Pro SB90 w/CR1 Base Plate / Polsilver / ATT 22x‌58mm Silvertip Badger / SV Desert Vetiver & AS
Attachments
DSC_6974 copy (1).png
DSC_6974 copy (1).png (4.51 MiB) Viewed 3512 times
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Soap + Cream: Williams + Leftovers
A/S: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne / Fragrance: Stetson Preferred Stock

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

3AE45367-2BBC-4B51-A906-3716A8409FA1.jpeg
3AE45367-2BBC-4B51-A906-3716A8409FA1.jpeg (376.41 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 18, 2021

If you’ve ever heard the term ‘hidden gems’, then that’s an apt characterization of the two splendid shaving tools used in this morning’s shave. My software this morning was PAA Coconut Bay, an oldie but goodie pre-CK6 formulation soap that SWMBO can tolerate. The RazoRock Rubberset Synth is a great little brush and did a superb job, both generating and spreading the two types of lather I like, thin and watery for my mug, and thicker and more yogurty for the dome.

Despite several years of searching, I can find nothing on this wonderful little Lord 6/8 straight razor. It was my second straight razor acquisition. Its Art Deco look would seem to place it in the 20s or 30s, but I would welcome other information on this particular razor from any more knowledgeable shave brothers or sisters out there. The red coffin box is marked NY, NY and the blade was imported from Solingen, Germany. It’s a beautifully balanced little razor, and holds a great edge. Two and a half passes left my mug blissfully velveteen.

When Italian Barber first designed their “Lupo” as an improved CNC SS knockoff of the hallowed Wolfman WR1, it was initially rolled out a year or so ago with a dark DLC coating. Yours truly bought this one from their second batch release. They’re now well into the the second generation of this safety razor. Current offerings are uncoated with different gaps. This original razor has a narrow sweet spot like my AS-D2, and is a great noggin shaver. Two ATG passes and your happy narrator was back in the land of smooth velveteen bliss from noggin to shoulders.

RAZOR: Lord 6/8. (Mug), RazoRock DLC Coated Lupo (Dome)
BLADE: Kai DE (3)
BRUSH: RazoRock Rubberset Replica with Synth Knot
SOAP: PAA Coconut Bay
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Thayers WH. Finished with Coconut Bay AS Splash.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave cream
SilkSmoke synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Schick Proline blade
Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
T&H West Indian Lime EdC
Best regards,

Basil
klinker

Post by klinker »

Friday 11.19.21 SOTD
HUSARIA Monocero SB / Personna‌ Platinum
Vtg. Ever Ready 200 26mm Oumo SHD 2 Band
Ethos Mélange d’agrumes Soap & Aftershave
Attachments
DSC_6993 copy (1).png
DSC_6993 copy (1).png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3481 times
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Soap + Cream: Williams + Leftovers
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
A/S: Family Dollar Spice Scent
Cologne / Fragrance: Classic Match Polo Supreme Oud

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

1494F458-2ADD-47E7-8661-34E5FD86B394.jpeg
1494F458-2ADD-47E7-8661-34E5FD86B394.jpeg (372.7 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 19, 2021

Wilbert Cutlery was a house brand used by Sears Roebuck & Co. for their upscale knives and razors from 1908 - 1921. Sears developed a reputation for well-built quality tools that started with the Wilbert Cutlery brand and later transferred to the broader “Craftsmen” brand of tools which first appeared in their catalogue in 1927. The brand was finally acquired by Stanley Black & Decker from Sears Holdings in 2017 for that very reputation.

The razor I shaved with this morning is the Wilbert Cutlery ‘Regal’ model. Friends who owned this particular model extolled its edge-holding and great shaving effectiveness. My friend Sean (@Purvis) introduced me to the model about a year or so ago with one of his beautifully photographed SOTD images featuring it. Sears offered personalized name engraving on the blank side of the ‘Regal’ blade. Since I was already well down the RAD rabbit hole at that time, I began my search for one in decent condition.

Sears sold a lot of ‘Regal’ model razors as I discovered, many of which were in very well-used condition. After over a year’s search, I finally found an unengraved model for $19.99 with free shipping on the big auction site from a reputable seller that looked to be in decent shape. I won it as the sole bidder, and it arrived yesterday. The scales were dirty, but cleaned up with whitening toothpaste. The blade was tarnished, but no rust was evident. A little Autosol metal polish cleaned that up nicely.

The razor appeared to possess a serviceable bevel under the USB microscope along with some minimal spine wear. The Naniwa 12k with a finish by the 9 Ball Slate soon had the blade popping styrofoam all along it length. I always do a first mug shave with my regular MWF shave soap. I grabbed my MrEE LE #005 Aluminum handled SynBad knot and built the thinner, slick lather I enjoy for my mug shaves.

And what a shave it was! This beautiful little full hollow belted out the “Buttering Toast” through all two and a half passes leaving me dolphin smooth as a good Scot shave buddy likes to say. There’s no doubt in my mind that this little razor was well-cared for over its century or so of use. Originally a 5/8, it comes in now at about 9/16. This little razor’s a keeper that delivered a spot on inaugural mug shave!

Returning to my shave bowl I proceeded to whip up the thicker, more yogurty MWF lather I like for my dome shaves. Fine Accoutrements is better known for their shave software rather than their razors, although their little $40 aptly named “Marvel” safety razor is the exception. While I ditched the original handle for an IB ‘Barber Pole’, the angled safety razor head design never has failed to deliver an awesome two pass ATG dome shave as it did this morning. I feel refreshed, clean and supremely velveteen from noggin to shoulders.

RAZOR: Wilbert Cutlery Regal 9/16 (Mug), Fine ‘Marvel’ Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Kai DE (4)
BRUSH: MrEE LE #005 Aluminum Handle SynBad Knot
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Thayers WH. Finished with Aqua Velva 5 in 1 AS Balm
klinker

Post by klinker »

Saturday 11.20.21 SOTD
Pearl Flexi Adjustable V4 @3 / Polsilver / Vtg. Ever Ready 200 26mm Oumo SHD 2 band / Ethos/CBL Fresh Lime Soap & AS
Attachments
DSC_7011 (1).png
DSC_7011 (1).png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 3437 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

90161B08-BF3C-4FF1-880B-C58FD4C1F23E.png
90161B08-BF3C-4FF1-880B-C58FD4C1F23E.png (2.34 MiB) Viewed 3424 times
8A6C03B0-6086-4583-BD9F-23963434B757.jpeg
8A6C03B0-6086-4583-BD9F-23963434B757.jpeg (496.41 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 20, 2021

Woke up to a brilliantly sunny 28° morning, here in the Philadelphia suburbs. With Thanksgiving and the holiday season in the offing, I grabbed my Wade & Butcher 7/8 and my Cooper Monobilt, both dependable, stalwart shaving tools. My 19 year old grandson, Kevin, is moving in tomorrow to watch the three cats while SWMBO, Gromit and I wend our way to Las Vegas for our regular Thanksgiving celebration with SWMBO’s brother’s family. This is the second year Kevin is house sitting until the rest of my family arrives Tuesday. They’ll be staying through Saturday when I return. My daughter-in-law hosts at my house, for our extended family, and I’ll join virtually on Thanksgiving day, and will celebrate again there with Turducken with them on Sunday. After losing half a fifth of 25 yr-old Macallan last year, I’m locking my good Single Malts in the gun safe this year, to which only I have the combination.

I realize that I’m a terrible example to new wet shavers with the way I switch up shave equipment daily. The only consistency in my shaves is my daily use of MWF. The key to success in wet shaving is sticking with the same razor, brush and soap for at least 30 days. In fact one of the better known online shave forums has a process called the thirty day concentration with a corresponding thread called the 30DC dedicated to helping newer wet shavers master wet shaving, or even a newer piece of shave hardware or software they may be struggling with. Mentors on that thread provide guidance and direction to the struggling newbie. Yours truly shaved with the same Schick Krona originally purchased in a PX in 1968 for almost 5 decades. So I give myself a pass.

In any case, back to the shave. I’ve shaved with this W&B 7/8 for quite a while. I’ve refined the bevel to my liking and really enjoy this razor’s heft and balance in hand. I credit my son’s honing mentor, Howard Schlecter, of the Perfect Edge up near Boston with truly upping my straight razor maintenance process. His constroption, a four sided pasted stropping device, with 4 levels of stropping pastes, has dramatically improved my edges. After every shave, I run the razor through the constroption and then to my roo-skin bench strop before putting it away for the next shave. The two and a half pass mug shave this morning with this razor just reinforces my commitment to using the constroption regularly.

I first learned about Cooper Monobilt shortly after joining the Shave Den several years ago where I came across the Cooper Razor Owner’s Club. Cooper Razor of Brooklyn, NY introduced both the Monobilt and the Kant Rust safety razors among others in the early thirties. The Monobilt is made of brass which is chrome plated over a base plating of nickel. There are two models of Monobilt with identical heads, but different handle knurling. Regardless of the handle, the shave this little razor delivers is nothing short of phenomenal. The problem is there are also a fair number of Monobilts floating around with bent heads. As you might imagine, these damaged models don’t shave well. But mine shaves magnificently, as it again delivered a very smooth noggin leaving your happy narrator velveteen from shoulders to dome!

RAZOR: Wade & Butcher 7/8 (Mug), Cooper Monobilt (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
BRUSH: MrEE Monster Tuxedo Synth
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Thayers WH. Finished with Alt-Innsbruck AS Splash.
klinker

Post by klinker »

Sunday 11.21.21 SOTD
Timeless SS SLIM OC / Polsilver / Rearden Razors Stainless Steel Silvertip / Fine American Blend Shaving Soap & AS
Attachments
DSC_7042 copy.png
DSC_7042 copy.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 3392 times