SOTD. December 6 - December 12, 2021

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

SOTD. December 6 - December 12, 2021

Post by jgreenepa »

2ED09D56-D807-4939-B475-E7E81C004E0A.png
2ED09D56-D807-4939-B475-E7E81C004E0A.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 3265 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 6, 2021

I own and prefer two types of replaceable blade barber’s razors, those using hair trimmer/hair shaper blades and those using Artist Club (AC) blades. My two favorites are the Tedalus Essence, which can also accommodate DE and injector blades, and my Feather DX, strictly an AC blade razor. Before the arrival of the Tedalus and the hair trimmer/hair shaper blade razors, my regular and only goto barber’s razor was the Feather DX, the razor I selected for this morning’s mug shave. When equipped with a Feather Super, there’s no straight razor on the planet that shaves closer.

I’ve owned the Feather SS barber’s razors, but never cared for the lip around the blade which never quite felt right to me. Although I’ve never shaved with the newer Feather SR model which came out a few months ago, I understand it is designed as a midpoint between the lipped SS and the lipless DX. The beauty of the DX model is that it was designed from the gingold to shave like a regular straight from a shave angle perspective, and that is what I like about it. After loading a fresh Feather Super it put the baby to bed in two and a half passes.

The collaboration between Schick and the International Silver company back in the 70s resulted in what has come to be called the Schick Type L “Paul Revere” model. I’ve always enjoyed shaving my dome with any of the Schick models that accommodate the Schick Twinblade, and Schick Injector models from the Type L onwards can do so. The “Paul Revere” model’s unique extended handle resembles what one might discover attached to a piece of silverware. It feels great in hand, and this morning completed a two pass ATG noggin shave that left your very happy narrator velveteen smooth from shoulders to dome.

RAZOR: Feather DX (Mug), Schick Type L “Paul Revere” Injector (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug), Schick Injector II Twinblade (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE LE #007 Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature Scent
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac AC. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent AS Balm.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
Mike R

Re: SOTD. December 6 - December 13

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Power Stick (Dollar Tree balm)
Cologne / Fragrance: None

Mike
klinker

Post by klinker »

Monday 12.06.21 SOTD
Monocero Husaria SB / Polsilver
Oumo 26mm Lotus Manchuria SHD Badger
Barrister and Man Le Grand Chypre Shave Soap & AS
Attachments
DSC_7320.png
DSC_7320.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 3255 times
klinker

Post by klinker »

Tuesday 12.07.21 SOTD
Rex Ambassador @3 / Polsilver
Spiffo African Blackwood 24mm HMW SHD Fan
Ariana & Evans Asian Plum Shaving Soap & Aftershave
Attachments
DSC_7352.png
DSC_7352.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3225 times
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Faulding
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Family Dollar Spice Scent
Cologne / Fragrance: Belcam's version of Drakkar Noir

Mike
klinker

Re: SOTD. December 6 - December 13, 2021

Post by klinker »

Wednesday 12.08.21 SOTD
Charcoal Goods Everyday Brass/ Nacet
100-year-old handle 20mm Gray Tuxedo Synth
Declaration Grooming Fake Yellow Light Shave Soap & AS
Attachments
DSC_7370 copy (2).png
DSC_7370 copy (2).png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 3189 times
pausted

Post by pausted »

Traditional Shaving Co. Limes cream
Yaqi Tuxedo synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Nivea Cooling balm
Royal Copenhagen aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
klinker

Post by klinker »

Thursday 12.09.21 SOTD
Stando SE Brass / Schick Proline / WCS 26mm Silvertip / Blue Devil Sandalwood / Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Attachments
DSC_7393 (1).png
DSC_7393 (1).png (890.6 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

B7C76E5F-7D88-4931-9F0F-F9BDC3227A92.jpeg
B7C76E5F-7D88-4931-9F0F-F9BDC3227A92.jpeg (513.05 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 9, 2021

I enjoyed another lovely shave this morning featuring a very good soap with a great post shave skin feel. In fact, it was so good that the Florida Water AS Splash was almost an afterthought. The Viking Silvertip Badger did a terrific job whipping up the two types of lather I enjoy with my morning shave, light and liquidy for the mug and thick and yogurty for the dome.

As many of you know, Thistle Cut straight razors originating in NY and finishing in Fremont, OH used a particularly fine-grained NY/PA originated steel in their blades that is capable of holding an incredibly sharp edge, almost too sharp. I own two models, the beautiful little 5/8 I shaved with this morning and a little shorty model called the “Persian”.

This is one of only a few models of razor where I lightly score the completed edge along the corner of my finishing stone after running it through a regular honing progression, a trick I learned from Howard Schlecter here, a Boston based honemeister. This removes the accumulated burr buildup. Five or six very light laps on the Suehiro 20k restored a buttery smooth edge that left me “smooth as a peach” after two and a half mug passes, as a Swedish shave brother of mine likes to say.

I truly enjoy my dome shaves with my Ronson safety razor. I initially modified modern DE blades for it. The modification is virtually identical to the one for the Gibbs Adjustable, but I was never happy with the shaves I was getting. My friend, David, a true southern gentleman, patiently endured my concerns and then introduced me to the use of modern injector blades in it. My shaves since have been excellent, as it was this morning, leaving me velveteen smooth from shoulders to noggin.

RAZOR: Thistle Cut 5/8 (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Schick Injector II Twinblade (Dome)
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Baume.BE
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Florida Water AS Splash.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Cologne / Fragrance: None / Forgot

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

23DB048A-BCC2-4961-9BFD-ED9EEE0D08E6.png
23DB048A-BCC2-4961-9BFD-ED9EEE0D08E6.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 3121 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 10, 2021

I do love rattler grinds, and this Frederick Reynolds 5/8 is dear to my heart, despite the wavy blade and the consequent honing challenge. Rattler grinds were ground horizontally as opposed to vertically like traditional wedge and hollow grinds. According to Tweedale’s Directory of Sheffield Cutlers, Frederick Reynolds began his career in the early 1840s.in Sims Croft moving to School Croft by 1849.

In about 1860, he moved to Gell Street and, according to the Census, employed fifteen men. He continued to trade into the 1870s, when the address was Monmouth Lane. Frederick Reynolds died on 22 October 1877, aged 63. His son, Richard Reynolds continued to manufacture razors in Monmouth Lane and Gell Street into the 20th century.

The company experienced financial difficulties in 1936. During WWII, the firm was restyled Frederick Reynolds (Cutlers Sheffield) Ltd. The company ceased trading in the late 1940s, after the death of the founder's grandson Harry Reynolds who died in 1946, aged 56.

This is the razor that that taught me honing feel. It was the jewel of my old barber’s collection. I purchased it from his son along with a few other razors. Old Harry was never able to get a decent even bevel on it. My son, Ben, showed me how I could use four fingers lightly on the flat of the blade with a traditional X stroke coupled with Lynn Abrams’s circle method to achieve an even bevel.

Although the razor doesn’t hold an edge as well as some of my other Sheffield steel, it always delivers a great shave after touch up. This morning’s mug shave was all I could ask. Two and a half passes put the baby to bed despite a very mild weeper during the first pass that seemed to disappear after the second. That’s one of the great benefits of consistent use of lanolin based soaps.

I have three Shake Sharp safety razors. I used to have two more but PIF’d them to friends who both seem to be enjoying the great shaves they deliver. This morning I loaded two stacked Kai blades into one of the two metal-handled unique SEs I own. The Shake Sharp is the only SE I’m aware of that uses whole unmodified DE blades. This particular nickel-handled Model 2 cleared my noggin of stubble in two quick ATG passes leaving me in velveteen bliss from noggin to shoulders.

RAZOR: Frederick Reynolds Rattler 5/8 (Mug), GE Jones Shake Sharp (Dome)
BLADE: 2 Stacked Kai DE
BRUSH: JR Rosewood Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub AS Splash.
klinker

Post by klinker »

Friday 12.10.21 SOTD
Gillette ’47 Milord / Polsilver
Ever Ready 24mm Boar
Williams Mug Soap
Aqua Velva (Spanish Version)
Attachments
DSC_7437.png
DSC_7437.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 3120 times
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: J.M. Fraser's
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum Silver

Mike
klinker

Post by klinker »

Saturday 12.11.21 SOTD
RazoRock SS Hawk V3 Reg / Schick Proline
Vintage Fuller Shaving Brush 22mm Silvertip
Noble Otter Neon Sun Limited Edition & AS
Attachments
DSC_7459.png
DSC_7459.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 3070 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

48C549DD-B4ED-4AB1-AE70-FDCA92DD1792.png
48C549DD-B4ED-4AB1-AE70-FDCA92DD1792.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 3065 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 11, 2021

My wife and I are scheduled to have dinner with an old church friend and his wife. We recently learned she’s been diagnosed with Lewes Body Dementia, the same disease that killed Robin Williams. We thought at first it was Parkinson’s, like me, and given how long I’ve been living with the condition had the same expectations for her. She’s a lovely woman with 7 grandchildren, and my wife’s best friend. This will probably be our last meal together as she is deteriorating rapidly. As Kurt Vonnegut said, “and so it goes!”

My shave in preparation for the evening’s event this morning featured my favorite barber’s razor, the Tedalus Essence fitted with a Feather Super AC blade on its third use. This remarkable razor shaves exactly like my best straights. The shave angle, heft, feel and balance in hand requires a deft touch just as a well-honed straight would. The joy of this razor is the tacit understanding that it’s an actual benchmark for sharpness that I use with my straight razors. This morning’s two and a half pass mug shave did not disappoint, and left me glassine smooth.

I initially grabbed for my Eclipse Red Ring, on of the first adjustables, but instead decided on a Famex shave. Jeff Mudrick’s (@jmudrick) patent research revealed two initial French patents in 1929 and 1932 for the fourteen cage bar model, and a final patent in 1937 for the seven bar model seen here. Having never shaved with the fourteen bar model, I can only speak for my two Famex razors, both 7 bar. The razor is handle adjustable, and delivers on its most aggressive setting a very close shave as it did for my noggin this morning. Two ATG passes put the baby to bed leaving me happily velveteen from dome to shoulders.

RAZOR: Tedalus Essence (Mug), Famex (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug), Feather DE (Dome)
BRUSH: JR Boar
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.
klinker

Post by klinker »

Sunday 12.12.21 SOTD
Stando “Rod” SE / Feather Professional
Butterscotch Opal 20mm SHD Boti 3 Band Finest
Noble Otter Firefighter Limited Edition Shave Soap & AS
Attachments
DSC_7485 (1).png
DSC_7485 (1).png (4.07 MiB) Viewed 3045 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

F45FE7A0-E368-4993-BEA1-24BD0ACFD9C2.jpeg
F45FE7A0-E368-4993-BEA1-24BD0ACFD9C2.jpeg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 3023 times
SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 12, 2021

Well, I acquired my first safety razor in almost a year and a half. It is an immaculate NOS 1911 Durham Duplex safety razor in the original Bakelite case which I happened across in my search for a stropping attachment for my folding handled version. The price was right, and it uses the same head as the folding handle version, although the blade attachment process differs. The UK Ever Ready Hair Trimmer blades fit perfectly.

I must admit that I really like the safety razor version for my dome shave even more than the folding handle version. The head is much wider than any of my other safety razors, and provides a very wide cut, that it takes only half as many ATG strokes to cover the same shave real estate on the flatter parts of the noggin. The shave was quite close, but not as close a my Barbasol Floating Head or Eclipse Red Ring, the two most efficient blade-holding shavers in my den.

But the belle of the ball was this amazing Smith Bros. of Boston rescaled blue steel 11/16 blade. According to the “Roadshow Collectibles Straight Razor Mfrs Directory”, Smith Brothers was actively importing blades and scaling and reselling them between 1860 and 1910. The original insect eaten horn scales would place this razor earlier in the manufacture. There was no evidence of gun bluing anywhere on the blade.

The extreme hardness of the blade reminded me of some of the Swedish steel I’ve honed. Given Boston’s role as a port city, along with the fact that trading with Japan had begun about the same time as Smith Brothers started in business, I’m going to go out on a limb and hypothesize that the blade is Japanese blue steel or ‘aogami’ which would have been a key export of the newly opened Japanese export market. It is a great edge holding steel alloyed with tungsten, vanadium and chromium.

Whether it is or not, the edge on this straight razor is amazingly sharp. Honing a razor can build up an accumulating burr, which if not removed will contribute to a perceived ‘harsh’ albeit sharp edge. Such an edge will pass the venerable HHT, but the resulting shave will be anything but pleasant. Howard Schlecter, a honemeister from the Boston area teaches his honing students to deburr by running the blade gently along the edge of the finishing stone on each side of the blade edge as part of the finishing process which, of course, seems counter intuitive.

However, 5 to 7 subsequent strokes on the finisher very quickly restore a buttery smooth quite sharp edge, which is then easily maintained well into the future with a graduated pasted strop regimen. Schlecter’s constroption has been just the ticket for me for maintaining all my straight razors. My two and a half pass mug shave this morning reinforced that this approach is just the ticket for me to achieve the lovely velveteen mug shaves with the buttery smooth edges that I enjoy so much!

RAZOR: Smith Bros. of Boston 11/16 (Mug), Durham Duplex Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Ever Ready Hair Trimmer (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub AS Splash.