SOTD January 10 - January 16, 2022

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
churchilllafemme

SOTD January 10 - January 16, 2022

Post by churchilllafemme »

Monday AM 2022-01-10
Refrigerator (Ice Box) invented by Henry Trost on this date, 1901

Rooney Emillion 1 Porcelain Finest (24/48)
Harrods by Floris shaving soap (tallow)
Haircut & Shave P075-SB Mixed Metal Black/H&S Copper
Wilkinson London Bridge (1)
Calvin Klein Eternity aftershave
_______
John
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD January 10 - January 16, 2022

Post by jgreenepa »

6DA6974B-9CD8-4228-B6CD-EFD6DB17F52F.jpeg
6DA6974B-9CD8-4228-B6CD-EFD6DB17F52F.jpeg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
92FABA15-C0A7-4C35-BE62-D7403E7BC089.jpeg
92FABA15-C0A7-4C35-BE62-D7403E7BC089.jpeg (699.67 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, JANUARY 10, 2022

After some online conversations with a few shave brothers, I was moved to embark on a Swedish razor shave with my sweet little CV Hejestrand Mk 29 yesterday. So today I grabbed the Klas Tornblom 4/8, the razor that set the hook for me on little Swedish razors. I remember how hard the steel was to hone at a Rockwell between 62-64.

I needed to break out my Pride abrasive stones that I only use on my Cru-V and Aogami blue steel chef knives. I hesitate to use these stones on my other razors because of the amount of metal they remove per pass. They did the trick on the little Tornblom. Reset the bevel on the 1 k then took it through 3-6-10k. I finished on the 9Ball Slate and burnished the edge on my Jasper stone under water until it stuck.

Last night I took it through the Schlecter Constroption and my roo-skin bench strop. This morning’s shave was glorious and reminded me why this little beauty led to my Swedish Razor RAD and changed my perspective on blade width! As a result I’ve become entirely too good friends with Fluffy! Here you see him wondering why I keep falling deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole. In any case two and a half passes left me velveteen smooth.

Sheffield England has a well-deserved reputation for their straight razors for close to three hundred years. But the Eclipse Red Ring safety razor was designed and built from the 30s through the 50s in much smaller numbers than the number of cf Gillette brand razors being churned out at the time. The razor competed on its unique design features - 1) an open/closed comb narrow head with a connecting safety bar, 2) a magnet at the base of the handle to pick up dropped blades, and 3) a handle based adjustment feature to control the level of efficiency the razor delivered.

For its time time only Leresche and L’Essor had truly competitive razors. This little safety razor along with my Leresche 77 and GE Jones Shake Sharps are my favorite vintage safety razors. The Second Generation ‘New’ razor design is a close fourth. My lavender shave this morning was possible since my bride would be away for the morning. Castle Forbes Creams and Nancy Boy have become my goto shaving lathers after the Fat. Two ATG passes left this left your happy narrator clean, glassine smooth and smelling pretty as my friend Jim (@jluc) has been known to say. Hopefully, the scent will diminish by evening when my bride is scheduled to return.

RAZOR: Klas Tornblom 4/8 (Mug), Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: JT Cashmere Knot (me likee)
CREAM: Castle Forbes Lavender
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Ethos Lavender Surpreme Splash
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Kent BK4
D.R. Harris almond soap
'49 Gillette razor
Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow that refuses to die
Myrsol C
Last edited by kronos9 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
klinker

Post by klinker »

DSC_8209.png
DSC_8209.png (2.45 MiB) Viewed 3315 times
Menthol Monday
ATT Bamboo SE1 / Schick Proline
Jayaruh #408 2-band badger
Fine Snake Bite Soap+AS
klinker

Post by klinker »

DSC_8222 (1).png
DSC_8222 (1).png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3300 times
Tuesday 01.11.21 SOTD
Stando SE Brass / Feather Professional
Simpson Trafalgar T3 26mm Synthetic
A&E Ouddiction Shave Soap & AS
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

C1D91D40-D386-4EDA-829A-6AD420819AB2.jpeg
C1D91D40-D386-4EDA-829A-6AD420819AB2.jpeg (452.29 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, JANUARY 11, 2022

Genco, Geneva, Case and Thistle Cut straight razors all use this amazing fine grained New York steel extracted from hematite ore. I used to spent my summers with my cousins in the Adirondack Mountains of New York State (NYS). My uncle worked for Republic Steel managing the iron ore mines that had been in continuous operation there since the Revolutionary War. The mines closed down in the early 70s when it was no longer cost-effective to drill as deep as required to extract the ore.

Hematite can be up to 70% pure iron, lowering the cost of extraction, and allowing for easier conversion into the pig iron used in blast furnaces. In any case, the beneficiaries are those of us fortunate enough to own straight razor blades made from the fine grained New York state steel extracted from this NYS hematite. One of the first straight razors I acquired was this sweet Genco 35 5/8. My son thoughtfully blunted the square point after yours truly generated a few red racing stripes on his initial shave with it..

The razor was prepared for me by my son, Ben, who honed it after I obtained it in a trade for two vintage Gillette safety razors. He reset the bevel and honed it on his Shapton progression from 1k through 16k. The razor and Ben’s work spoiled me, but also taught me as I began to acquire more straights that one man’s “shave ready” does not equate to another’s. As my honing skills developed I now routinely set my own bevels on all new-to-me vintage straights. The two and a half pass mug shave with the Genco this morning was a delight as always and left me delightfully smooth.

Thinking to follow up on my great mug shave I grabbed one of my favorite vintage safety razors, the Barbasol Floating Head (BFH). Madame Barbasol is a fickle, jealous lady who demands the shaver’s full attention as I was reminded this morning during my follow-on noggin shave. My attention wandered as I was ironically enjoying the Traveling Wilbury’s “Handle With Care”, while shaving the back of my noggin, and she bit jarring me away from the music to reach for my styptic gel. I finished the two pass ATG shave with my full attention. Smooth, but chastened, I put Madame Barbasol away, but will use her again tomorrow to ensure she understands she’s my best shaving girl!

RAZOR: Genco 35 5/8 (Mug), Barbasol Floating Head (Dome)
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Derby Normal
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Brut
Cologne / Fragrance: Brut

Mike
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Simpson Sovereign synthetic (Chubby)
Asylum Neroli & Black Pepper
'49 Gillette
Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow which still refuses to die
Fine Fresh Vetiver
Ed
churchilllafemme

Tuesday AM 2022-01-11
Snowfall was first reported in Los Angeles on this date in 1949

Rooney 1/3 Ivory Finest (26/55)
Ethos Grooming Vanilla Safi shaving soap 
Carbon Mokume-gane Brass/R2
Wilkinson London Bridge (2)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna aftershave (vintage)

What a wonderful shave. Everything worked perfectly.
_______
John
klinker

Post by klinker »

DSC_8271.png
DSC_8271.png (2.61 MiB) Viewed 3256 times
Wednesday 01.12.21 SOTD
RR HAWK V3 OC / Schick Proline
Shore 24mm Maggard 2-band Badger
B&M Bay Rum Shaving Soap & Aftershave
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

E26836F8-B934-4CE7-AFF5-7319B4A280F5.jpeg
E26836F8-B934-4CE7-AFF5-7319B4A280F5.jpeg (550.82 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, JANUARY 12, 2022

As promised yesterday, Madame Barbasol and I went for another spin. Jealous as she is, I knew she deserved my full attention this morning and she got it! Since my attention didn’t lag, my noggin escaped unscathed and the two ATG passes left yours truly velveteen smooth.

One of my favorite vintage razors is my mid 19th century Frederick Reynolds rattler grind. These razors were ground horizontally to resemble and compete with the then “hot” new Frameback razors coming out of France and Sweden. This little 9/16 holds a great edge and really belted out the “Buttering Toast” song during this morning’s two and a half pass shave leaving me smooth from neck to noggin!

RAZOR: Frederick Reynolds 9/16 Rattler Grind (Mug), Barbasol Floating Head (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE ( Dome)
BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Handled Tuxedo Synth
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm and Canoe Original EdT.
churchilllafemme

Wednesday AM 2022-01-12
Birthdate of Antoine Bovis, originator of the 'Pyramid Power' theory, 1871

Rooney 2/1 Ivory Finest (22/56) 
Trumper Coconut shaving cream
Wilkinson Bonded System (5)
Mennen Skin Bracer
_______
John
klinker

Post by klinker »

DSC_8285.png
DSC_8285.png (1.92 MiB) Viewed 3196 times
Thursday 01.13.21 SOTD
RR HAWK V2 Electric Blue / Schick Proline
Opal Butterscotch 20mm SHD Boti 3 Band Finest
Ethos Grooming Essentials Mélange d’agrumes Soap & AS​
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

4BC1A2AA-A0DB-4C28-89B2-70A0F9E5BE14.jpeg
4BC1A2AA-A0DB-4C28-89B2-70A0F9E5BE14.jpeg (288.12 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, JANUARY 13, 2022

I feel blessed to be a part of this great wet shaving community of ours! It’s a caring, mutually-supportive group of men and women who’ve come together to share their enthusiasm about all aspects of shaving. Like any community we range from vendors looking to hawk the latest and greatest, artisan crafters, and true fans to casual lurkers.

What I most appreciate about our community is the depth of knowledge available that is freely shared with no thought of recompense. Yes, it’s good business to do so, but it also breeds trust and friendship with folk all over the world and from every conceivable background! The friends I’ve made range from Ukraine, Latvia, China, Canada, Italy, Australia, Scandinavia, the UK and all over the states.

I look forward to getting up each morning to share my shaving experiences and to read about my friends’ experiences. The best part is learning more each day about this great hobby of ours. An important part of that for me is “paying it forward” (PIF). Now there are unscrupulous souls out there seeking to take advantage, but I never PIF to strangers. It's always people I've met and chatted with online or even sometimes on video calls. The PIF for me represents the sharing this community is based upon.

The Shumate Razor company was founded in Austin, Texas by Albert Teagarden in 1884. In 1895 Joseph Shumate became a partner in Teagarden and Shumate, and 5 years later the name was changed to the Shumate Razor Company. The firm moved to St. Louis in 1904 and remained in business until 1932. They marketed their razors as “Guaranteed for life”, or at least until 1932! ;<{)

The mug shave with my Shumate 5/8 was every bit as good as advertised. Two and a half passes put the baby to bed, and left me porcelain smooth. The two pass ATG noggin shave with the British Gillette Rocket was slightly more than acceptable. Gillette TTOs are not my favorite Gillette safety razor. That belongs to their second generation “New” models, the best of which for me is the New LC. But this little TTO did deliver a decent, although not great shave. Enjoy your shaves and your day, my friends!

RAZOR: Shumate 5/8 (Mug), British Gillette Rocket (Dome)
BLADE: Kai DE (Dome)
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 with 26mm Boar Knot Ferrule
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Chiseled Face Natural AS Splash and Osage Rub.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: T&H Limes
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
A/S: Power Stick (Dollar Tree balm)
Cologne / Fragrance: Drakkar Noir

Mike
pausted

Post by pausted »

Boellis Panama soap
SilkSmoke synthetic brush
Rockwell 6C razor (plate #4)
Feather blade
Barbasol balm
Royall Mandarin all purpose lotion
Best regards,

Basil
churchilllafemme

Thursday AM 2022-01-13
National Rubber Ducky Day

Rooney Polo 1 Ivory Finest (24/54)
Floris Santal shaving cream (vintage) 
LASSC BBS-1/Triad Aristocrat Black
Wilkinson London Bridge (3)
Floris Santal aftershave

A wonderful warm, sandalwood shave on a wet morning. I have always loved the Santal cream. The BBS-1 head has such a deceptively simple design but is one of my two most efficient shavers, especially with a great blade like the London Bridge; and I actually like it better on the smaller Triad handle than on its original stock one.
_______
John
klinker

Post by klinker »

DSC_8278 (1).png
DSC_8278 (1).png (2.14 MiB) Viewed 3164 times
Friday 01.14.21 SOTD
Stando SE “Rod” / Schick Proline
WCS Two-Tone Tall Red/White 26mm Silvertip
Fine Accoutrements American Blend Shaving Soap & AS
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

47665D12-16BB-4135-8809-5CE0599F9F1A.jpeg
47665D12-16BB-4135-8809-5CE0599F9F1A.jpeg (441.12 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, JANUARY 14, 2022

My son has been pushing me to shave with a Japanese Kamisori from his collection. Ben collects primarily Japanese western style straights, but also has close to 60 vintage Kamisori. He claims that this particular Kamisori is 250 years old. I would dispute that. It was, according to Ben, found in a Japanese warehouse where it had apparently been stored for 80 years or so. It bears the four stamps identifying it as tamahagane or Japanese gem steel.

This vintage Japanese kamisori one piece straight razor blade rather appears to be the type used for shaving over 100 years ago in Japan based on my research. Ben is a good trusting soul, who tends to take sales tropes as gospel. In reviewing the history of these little shave knives I learned that the makers of samurai swords turned to the making of these blades during the Meiji Era (1868 - 1912) when sword making became illegal. So that would make this particular shave tool about 190 years old at the oldest to a little over 100 years at the youngest.

If it was made by a master Japanese blademaker, as Ben related, in the tradition of the samurai sword with laminated forged high carbon steel that is reputed to hold an edge like no other in the world, then I needed more verification. So I called my old friend, Toshio Tatara who reviewed the Kanji. Written on the blade are the words, "Betsu uchi" (specially made) that might tend to indicate such blade construction. This was, of course, mostly supposition on my part

There’s clearly no doubt that this little shaving knife is certainly melting hair, scary sharp. I considered redoing the bevel, but after a HHT and a styrofoam peanut test that awed me, I decided not to in light of the following. This little blade didn’t just pop through the surface as my well-honed western straights do, but rather guillotined it right through to the towel below with just the weight of the blade. I decided to shave as is. Was I nervous? You betcha! Given the level of sharpness demonstrated, I ran it through the constroption and then did 80 strokes on my roo-skin bench strop.

I will say that the shave was amazing, albeit much, much slower than usual, as I worked slowly and one-handed to keep the stamped side out. I really took my time using the short strokes my son recommended, as opposed to my normal long strokes with my western straights. After the first pass there were only a few scattered patches requiring cleanup, and those were the usual whisker swirls on either side of the Adam’s Apple.

Following that first WTG pass, my face above the jawline was as smooth as it normally would be after my two longer stroke passes with one of my western straights. I chose to do flatblading on the neck areas - as scything strokes seemed too risky - to finish up, and that finish left me as smooth as glass. Great respect developed for this little Japanese shaving knife this morning.

If I ever have to effortlessly remove more than 24 hrs of growth, this is the little tool for the job. Ben has ordered a similar vintage tamahagane Kamisori from a vendor he knows in Japan for my upcoming birthday. The noggin shave with the wonderful Rex Ambassador that followed, cleaned up my dome in the usual two ATG passes. What does one say, however, after such an amazing mug shave? Well one thing’s for sure! I could definitely grow to like these little asymmetrically ground Japanese shaving knives!

RAZOR: Vintage Tamahagane Kamisori (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water rinse with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with RR Blue Floid AS Dupe Splash.
churchilllafemme

Friday AM 2022-01-14

Rooney 3/2 Faux Horn Finest (24/54)
Brooks Brothers shaving soap (tallow) 
Haircut & Shave P076-SB Copper/Triad Aristocrat Brass
Wilkinson London Bridge (4)
Brooks Brothers aftershave

The old soap still makes excellent (if slightly thin) lather, and I think it's probably underrated by many. The brass razor handle is so short and light (80mm, 65g) that it is overbalanced by the H&S copper head, so I may have to rethink that combination. And the BB aftershave has a very nice slow 'burn' with no sting at all.
_______
John