Welcome to SMFU

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

No, Michael, you may not have your doctorate yet. That is contingent on those Bic DE blades being sent me from Greece, as well as more prompt responses to my PMs.....harumph!

You are a 'newbie' until you have logged at least 250 more or less cogent posts. Why? Because I said so....and I am the Dean and Provost of this joint ( brushing off his hands briskly, and straightening his 'old school' SMF neck tie ).

Seriously, it's great to see this section being so utilized so quickly, and great to see so many more experianced members taking part and lending a hand. Creating this new forum was Johnnie's brain child, and it is an excellent idea, I think. There are plans to expand it's usefulness, reference themes to material in our archives, and to photos as well. Here's to the success of SMFU ( and all you students, both undergrad and advanced...I'm keeping an eye on you...so, no nonsense...I'd hate to have to call in Dr. Moss in his role as Sergeant-at-Arms ).
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Gordon is right, Chris Moss enjoys using the strap.

I'm still having trouble sitting down comfortably after my newbie moderator hazing.

I won't even tell you what Ravi did...
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, No! For God's sake, DON'T tell the rank and file what Ravi did! What happens in the Star Chamber needs to stay there!
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Dean, Richard is treading on thin ground, isn't he? May I have three more lashes myself? LOL

Sam
mkelly

Re: Welcome to SMFU, Q's about hones.

Post by mkelly »

Hey Guys,

I'm a new member here. I've recently bought a Novo Bismarck straight razor. Buying a straight has been an ambition for quite some time. In my ignorance I tried to shave with the new "shave ready" razor first time which was a painful experience. So I need to buy a hone. I see lots of opinions on the web as to the best hone to buy. So what I'm asking is what is the most practical hone for a beginner with a new razor to buy? I have a strop with a tube of yellow paste, which I'm still ignorant about. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

The new guy.
CMur12

Re: Welcome to SMFU

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, mkelly!

I'm not a straight razor user, so I can't offer you any advice, but I welcome you to our little community.

We don't really have a forum for introductions at SMF, so others might not find you here. I would either post this introduction and question in the main body of the SMF University forum or in the Straight Razors forum. In the latter, you will find a lot of straight razor enthusiasm, experience, and knowledgeable answers.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Welcome to SMFU

Post by Squire »

Hey mkelly, welcome aboard. Lots to discuss regarding your question but first I suggest you click on the link to our home page (it's at the top of this page) and read "The Art of the Straight Razor Shave, A Basic Guide" written by our own Dr. Chris Moss in his inimitable style. Them step into our Straight Razor sub forum and ask away.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Re: Welcome to SMFU, Q's about hones.

Post by brothers »

mkelly wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm a new member here. I've recently bought a Novo Bismarck straight razor. Buying a straight has been an ambition for quite some time. In my ignorance I tried to shave with the new "shave ready" razor first time which was a painful experience. So I need to buy a hone. I see lots of opinions on the web as to the best hone to buy. So what I'm asking is what is the most practical hone for a beginner with a new razor to buy? I have a strop with a tube of yellow paste, which I'm still ignorant about. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

The new guy.
Hi, and welcome to SMF. The best decision I made when I got into straight razors 6 years ago was to get the Norton straight razor starter kit. I got mine from Peachtree Woodworking Supply. Here's a link https://www.ptreeusa.com/sharpening_waterstones.html

It comes with an instructive DVD and the basic stones and flattening stone. This will easily get you into honing your own razors. A great many guys buy this to get started. Check it out! Good luck with your straight razor career. I look forward to seeing your posts as you begin to maintain and use your razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444