brush cleaning

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

brush cleaning

Post by salbev »

hello all.

at the risk of sounding as if i operate below the nat'l IQ average... when cleaning a brush with 9 parts water and 1 part white vinegar...how much water and vinegar is that?

thank you and i except any ribbing sent my way. it's worth it.
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Hello Sal,

It can be any amount of water you wish: 9 gallons, ounces, liters, pints, shaving mugs full...well you get the idea. Then just make sure to add 1 gallon, ounce liter, pint, or shaving mug full of vinegar. 9:1 is just a ratio.

BTW, be sure to stick with the white vinegar.

Have you just tried using shampoo on the brush? Some guys suggest pet shampoo, but I feel human would work nearly as well in a pinch.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

great! that is what i figured but it's so nice to get some reinforcement on the topic.

(i'm a two week newbie)...i actually have not attempted to clean a brush before. the brush i have is a "best badger made in england". that's all it says on it and it has been in the family unused for like ten years. so this evening i will attempt to clean it with the dash of 100% pure glycerine/9water/1white vinegar mix as posted on leisureguy's blog.

i hear this is the best clean going.
thanks a lot, Jeremy.
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I've heard of Borax being used to clean brushes. Have you thought about using that?
infotech

Post by infotech »

wrath186 wrote:I've heard of Borax being used to clean brushes. Have you thought about using that?
The CE brush I got last week suggested cleaning it with a Borax solution.
James
jbc

Always used soap and watter

Post by jbc »

on mine.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

No problem Sal,

I was sure some of the other gents would help out as soon as the got up.

Borax is a great idea I forgot about.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

A borax (e.g., 20 Mule Team Borax) bath is a good way to clean a brush and keep it performing like new. When I'd been wetshaving for a short while, it seemed that my badger brush just wouldn't hold water and build lather like it used to. A forum member recommended I give the brush a good soaking in a borax solution. It brought the brush back to life and it lathered like a champ.

I use a teaspoon of borax in a cup of warm water, soak the brush for maybe an hour, rinse, dry.

Dave
Rob

Post by Rob »

I usually wash my brush once or twice a week with normal human shampoo. Then after a few weeks I'll give it a thorough cleaning with borax. I've never thought of vinegar, but I bet it would work just fine, too. Thanks for the idea.
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

thank you everyone for the replies. i picked up some glycerine and white vinegar, already had some dawn and mixed up the 2-stage washes posted on "leisureguy's blog". i haven't shaved post washing however i will say that the water became clouded with the dawn/water wash which was a good sign it needed a proper cleaning. feels cleaner, too.
no problem at all, Rob. happy to pass on the valuable info Leisureguy has on his blog! :D
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

update:

well i guess the brush i have wasn't all that dirty because i followed the cleaning directions to a T and i can't see really any improvement whatsoever in the brush's performance. so it goes...
jbc

I'll be honest with you

Post by jbc »

You can't be operating below the national IQ average, I am. I only answer stupid questions. Badger forum members have advised me to clean it with soap and watter and stand the brush on its handle at least until I get ahold of the stand for it on Wednesday.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Re: I'll be honest with you

Post by salbev »

jbc wrote:You can't be operating below the national IQ average, I am. I only answer stupid questions. Badger forum members have advised me to clean it with soap and watter and stand the brush on its handle at least until I get ahold of the stand for it on Wednesday.
i don't think i'll ever use a stand. the members have debated this from time to time. i shake out all the water until no water shakes outs and simply stand it on its base on the counter above the sink.
i think i would get a stand if i liked the idea of it. but past personal taste and style, i have heard it doesn't do much else.
so i guess if you like it by all means go get one! but don't be scared to damage your brush without one because not having a stand doesn't hurt.
brothers

Re: brush cleaning

Post by brothers »

No reason to start a new thread, here's a perfectly good thread all ready to go ----

I recently came back into possession of an Omega Lucretia Borgia silvertip badger brush that I had given away to someone a few years ago. Talk about nasty. It had been rather well-used but not well-cleaned for these past years. The badger hair was all stuck together in a big gooey bundle and obviously in need of a very thorough cleaning. It's a good quality brush, and I am very happy to report it's no worse for wear, and it looks so nice I am very tempted to use it myself for a while.

It was not looking good. It needed more than just a shampoo. It was smelly and slightly discolored, not to mention the shaving soap/cream residue that probably resulted from never being rinsed following a shave, other than maybe just re-wetting it in the shower or sink before hitting the soap or cream again. I soaked the brush for several hours in a mixture of Dawn dish detergent and white vinegar. And maybe a half cup or so of tap water. During that time I repeatedly took the brush out of the solution and rinsed it vigorously by hand under running hot tap water before returning it to the solution. When I got tired of soaking it, I took it back to a lengthy final rinse under the tap. It's been standing on the shelf now for about a week and it's beautiful again. Doesn't stink and didn't lose any hairs (well, maybe one) during this whole process, and it has a beautiful bloom.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

what is your dawn/vinegar ratio? id like to try this with a tulip ive been using every day since 2011! :shock: :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

What a shame that you had to do that Gary. What mental illness afflicts some folks that they can't take care of their gear? I just don't understand.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
aih

Post by aih »

Wow. That's why I generally (not always) don't like loaning stuff. But that's my hang up. I'd probably buy a brush and give it as a gift to keep from loaning one of mine.

I cleaned a brush once (badger, with borax) and didn't see much difference between after and before. I'm not even sure it needed it. Haven't done it since. Not sure any of my brushes now are in need of it. However, I rinse mine very thoroughly, and we have relatively soft water as well. (My rule is drain sink after shave, fill with fresh water enough to submerge brush, then bob brush gently upside down in the water three or four times, drain, repeat, drain again, repeat again.)

About stands, I don't use one. After rinsing I give the brush a few firm shakes (not hard or harsh) to expel loose water. Worked for my dad, works for me.
- Ira
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:33 am what is your dawn/vinegar ratio? id like to try this with a tulip ive been using every day since 2011! :shock: :D

clive
I'd say 1 to 1. I just swagged it then added some water to fill the cup up past the upside down badger hair knot.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks Gary. Im going to give it a try
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

The badger hair was slightly stained after the ordeal, and the soaking didn't remove the stains. At the end of the process I combed it for several minutes, just to help it dry.
Gary