Cheap shaving tools guide for a newbie.

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thank you, sir! That's the test, really: If the newbs will find it useful. I hope so. Newbies, let me know if this worked out well for you.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I think Parker razors are worthy of mention too. FWIW.

--Mark
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

This is great, Rob. You did a superb job :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Re: Cheap shaving tools guide for a newbie.

Post by mantic »

Rob_TN wrote:4. Parker Safety Razor, brand new - around $30 on eBay (may come with blades that are probably of low quality)
More like $20. FYI.

--Mark
Rob

Post by Rob »

Whoops, you're right, Mark. I was strictly looking at the Buy-It-Now items. List is updated.
MaduroMan_wcp

Post by MaduroMan_wcp »

you may want to cruise antique shops for razors. I have picked up about 6 guillete DEs and 4 or 5 of the Gem razors. most I paid for any of em was $20 dollars, and that one was in a case.
frikazoyd

Post by frikazoyd »

Just wanted to say I found this post particularly helpful. The first people I saw who recommended wet shaving with a safety razor linked to the afore mentioned $200 gift sets, and frankly I said "forget it." After looking around various forums though, I stumbled on this post and I've used it to acquire the necessary tools on the cheap.

I'll let you know how it goes, just wanted to say thanks for saving me a bunch of money on starting shaving as a hobby. :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

You're welcome, frikazoyd. I wish you a long and successful DE shaving career! You're right, the $200 shave sets are really not worth it.
gabes_shadow

Post by gabes_shadow »

Thanks for the great post Rob!
Cheers and Happy Shaving,
Gabriel the Noob

Merker LH, Feathers
In the throes of SCAD(Trumper's Rose, Violet, Coconut;Taylor's Avocado; AoS Sandalwood)
I know I know, but its a start right?:bull
Cavman

Post by Cavman »

Rob, if they are buying a razor at Cotton Blossoms, they also have brushes for $1.50 that are ok. I just got one for a travel brush. Also want to metion the Tweezerman brush, great badger hair for 15 bucks.
John

Just smile & wave boys, just smile & wave. (Madagascar)
edinindy

New to Wet Shaving

Post by edinindy »

Rob,

Thanks a million for the great information for beginners!

With your information, I purchased a Weishi, the DE sample pack, and a Boar brush online. I purchased some Proraso products from Target.

I am still waiting for my online purchases to arrive.

I did purchase a Proraso brush while waiting for my other to arrive. I used the pre shaving cream and shave soap with my MachIII. I made two passes and it was the closest shave I have ever had.

I can't wait for my other products to arrive and try a DE for the first time.

Thanks again guys for all the great information on DE wetshaving.
Rob

Post by Rob »

You're welcome, Gabriel. I wrote it just for you and all the other newbies out there. John, I'll add the Tweezerman to the list in just a moment. I was worried it was a junky brush, but I read several reviews about it here on the forums and it seems to be a good buy for $10 or so.

Ed, you've got all the right tools to get a good start in DE shaving. I'm glad you found Proraso at Target. My Target seems to have trouble keeping the stuff stocked. Good luck and welcome to SMF!
Thundersnow

Post by Thundersnow »

Thanks for the info! I had always seen cheap blades at walmart and wondered what they were for. Why was I paying almost $3.00 a blade!?!!
I ordered the DE sample pack from the site listed and oredered a Weishi. I plan on picking up an Old Dominion brush and some willaims mug soap plus a stypic. I really appreciate this list! I mentioned DE's to my dad who then asked why I would want to do that. Then he remembered that he has his grandfathers DE set! He's gonna look for it and I have a new heirloom. What could be more personal than a mans shaving kit (that you aren't buried with!). Thanks again.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Edited to remove references to Proraso being available at Target. *Grumble*

Added Lumene aftershave to the list. The new Lumene is just as good as the old!
ishidan

Post by ishidan »

Hi all, newcomer to wet shaving here, just bought a Weishi.

Just wanted to say:
Major thanks to Cotton Blossom Crafts: they not only shipped it to me via a cheaper method than what their website lists, but when I opened the box, I found not only the razor, the box of Dorcos, and the brush, but two Feather blades. That must be CBC's doing, but having lurked here for a few days, I know where those came from and how dangerous they are!

It sure is a good thing the Weishi came so highly discussed and regarded here, for if I saw it on the shelf on my local Asian imports store, I would not have picked it up. The outer box has some of the worst Engrish I've ever seen. To quote:

--arrow pointing to the TTO knurl: "Needlessly load and unload shaver inimitable rotating handle"
--On the side of the box: "Nobleness: made of noble cuprum metal and apply advanced computer product line proceeding superficies plating disposal"
Noble cuprum? That would be copper, would it not? But this is certainly NOT made of copper.

I also couldn't tell whether I had a silver or gold one judging from the box, since BOTH colors appear on the box (it's silver). The inner box is blue plastic, not the wood or leather you'd get from a high end merchant. From the package alone, it looks for all the world like a low-quality-controlled bargain basement knockoff.

But it's not. It's just had its first go round with me, and it passed with flying colors (especially since the rest of the gear was just drugstore grade: Omega brush, Williams soap, and store brand blades). Not a single nick, and less irritation than I've had with the canned goo and disposable blade circus.

Edit: I have now also bought the Merkur HD, which is one of the other most recommended newbie-tools.

The Merkur HD only comes in a cardboard box.
Last edited by ishidan on Wed May 09, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Great advice. Thanks.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I purchased the Weishi from Cotton Blossom for $18; a travel boar wood brush for $7-$8; and a regular wood brush for $7-$8. It was very reasonable.

Good info.

Dr Bronner liquid soap is also good for shaving. Rub it on full strength. It is all natural oils and reasonably priced.
Ed
Walleij

Post by Walleij »

Great tips! Unfortunately I'm in Sweden and if I were to buy each individual item from different U.S. shops - assuming that they even ship overseas - the total shipping would probably be a pain in the hindquarters. :D

(By the way; it seems like Cotton Blossom is out of Weishi razors.)
stephen732

Post by stephen732 »

i'm interested in purchasing a gillette classic w/the nov 15, 1904 patent date. how does one find out the year it was made? and what years were they in production?
Rob

Post by Rob »

stephen732 wrote:i'm interested in purchasing a gillette classic w/the nov 15, 1904 patent date. how does one find out the year it was made? and what years were they in production?
I don't know exactly, but these websites should provide you with a start.

http://www.collectorsencyclopedia.com/

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm