face lathering a cream

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

ThePossum wrote:Made some great lather although the last of my 3 passes was a bit sparce on the lather. Need to work it a bit more while making the lather for the first pass on my face.
Sometimes this could also be just not enough cream; other times it can be too little water on the first pass and the cream (which would have been enough) getting used up early by a too-strong mixture. Working it more at the beginning really may be the solution too - just trying to cover more possibilities.
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning I tried a bit of reverse/possibly excessive technique. I used MWF and after thoroughly loading the brush, I went to the bowl instead of directly to the face, which would be and has been the norm for me with soaps, and frequently also with creams. Anyway, I took my time, got the water just exactly right (even went to the distilled, just for the sake of leaving no stone unturned in getting the absolute best lather from MWF) and ended up with all the thick rich "fat" lather I ever hoped for. Nice shave. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Second try at this yesterday using C&E Sandalwood. Changed the way I applied the cream though. Actually loaded the cream on my face like I would a soap stick and then with a slightly damp brush I began to make lather on my face.

Got two really nice latherings but the third lathering for the third pass was not so great. Just not enough cream on my face. Seems that with that cream I would end up using a bit more cream doing it this way than when I make the lather in the mug.

Also used a different brush. It was a TGN Grade A Silvertip but it is not packed as densely as the one I used the day before. This may have had some effect I guess.

Not going to give up. Will try it again with Trumpers Rose cream and the TGN Grade A Silvertip.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
jpq5

Post by jpq5 »

I agree with Dave. If you had a good shave, you did it right. I have sensitive skin and is the reason I seeked out this style of wet shaving. When I first joined SMF I read a similar thread to see which was the "correct" method, and tried bowl, hand, and face. I agree that bowl lathering can be controlling. But for me the face was so much easier to judge water to cream ratio. And surprisingly, all that time with my brush on my face felt relaxing with no irritation what so ever. So go with the one that brought you. To me, having a great lather is the most important part of my shave.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that
genius has it's limits. ---Albert Einstein
brothers

Post by brothers »

It seems that lately, the past 3 months or so, about the time I got the Omega 20106 boar brush, I started skipping the bowl regardless of whether I'm using soap or cream. I can easily see myself not using the bowl on a semi-permanent basis.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Martin

Post by Martin »

Damn, Ive been using soaps for a few years now, i used to think using creams was the "easy option" ie quicker & easier with less effort. Now this thread has wanting me to try creams again but feel soaps are more for "real men" ;-)
Martin

Post by Martin »

Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I started with a bowl and soap puck because it is what was in the starter set, after a week of reading here about creams decided to try that. Ain't never going back to soap. Run hot water from tap over brush, shake it out and barely dip in cream bowl (and I mean barely) and give my face a message that is throughly enjoyable to me. The only complaint I have is that on 2nd pass the brush is cold and have thought about those bowls that are two bowls stacked. Filling the lower bowl w/ hot water and then could lay brush in top bowl but doubt it would keep brush warm.

I was spending more time in getting the soap right whereas w/cream its instant lather. I like.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:It seems that lately, the past 3 months or so, about the time I got the Omega 20106 boar brush, I started skipping the bowl regardless of whether I'm using soap or cream. I can easily see myself not using the bowl on a semi-permanent basis.
Hahaha --- I'm a liar. At the present time I use a bowl every single day of my life for shaving. I can easily see NOTHING!!! :D :D :D
Last edited by brothers on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Spenser wrote:I started with a bowl and soap puck because it is what was in the starter set, after a week of reading here about creams decided to try that. Ain't never going back to soap. Run hot water from tap over brush, shake it out and barely dip in cream bowl (and I mean barely) and give my face a message that is throughly enjoyable to me. The only complaint I have is that on 2nd pass the brush is cold and have thought about those bowls that are two bowls stacked. Filling the lower bowl w/ hot water and then could lay brush in top bowl but doubt it would keep brush warm.

I was spending more time in getting the soap right whereas w/cream its instant lather. I like.
you are referring to a "scuttle".. yes, they do keep the lather and brush warm
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Thanks Gil, will check that out. :D
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
harper

Re: face lathering a cream

Post by harper »

I have learned a lot of things about shaving over the years on SMF but as a dedicated cream user for several years the single most important thing I have learned is how great a scuttle is. Until I read about one here I had never heard of a scuttle. After reading about it several times I bought one and loved it immediately and continue to use it daily. Not only that I have given several to friends who find them as splendid to use as I did and do. Many of the other things I learned were important, too, but nothing comes close to the scuttle.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I think there is a terminology difference what a face lathering means?
You can load your brush in a bowl like from the soap but the lather is not made up by that procedure.

With creams I can understand you make the lather to brush in the bowl and make it ready for just to paint on your face and start shaving.
I would not use a cream from a tube like Proraso for facelathering without a bowl, too messy. And could cause some irritation too that way?

I must say I am a soap user and most soap users are facelatherers I think? Some maybe use a second empty vessel to finish making the lather.
Jarmo
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm
brothers wrote:It seems that lately, the past 3 months or so, about the time I got the Omega 20106 boar brush, I started skipping the bowl regardless of whether I'm using soap or cream. I can easily see myself not using the bowl on a semi-permanent basis.
Hahaha --- I'm a liar. At the present time I use a bowl every single day of my life for shaving. I can easily see NOTHING!!! :D :D :D
Funny how things keep changing. Whatever I was laughing about five years ago, it doesn't matter now. Nowadays I am loading my brush (synthetic) on the soap or cream for 4 seconds more or less before going to my face and building the lather. If the cream is very soft I only hit it for maybe 3 seconds. Just enough to get some on the brush. I haven't used a lathering bowl in a long time.
Gary