Your Daily Shave Routine

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
stagger

Post by stagger »

1. Place shaving bowl in sink
2. Fill sink 1/2 full with HOT water
3. Wet washcloth in sink and apply to face for 2 minutes
4. Remove shave bowl, make lather, apply to face
5. 3 pass shave, WTG, XTG,ATG
6. Rinse and apply shave balm, then cologne
Regards,
Mark -
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

• Place my brush of the day in hot water in shave mug in sink filled with hot water.
  • Take shower and prep face with hot towel for about a minute.
  • After shower, make lather and apply to face. Do three passes, WTG, XTG, ATG, followed by a buffing pass if needed. No rinse between passes.
  • Apply Thayer's as an astringent and then one of my many A/S or ASB.
  • Apply an EDT if I am going out right away.
  • Clean up the razor, brush, mug and get things ready for my next shave. Includes a hand strop of my DE & SE blades and putting the blade in the next razor in my rotation.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I always shave before the shower.

1. Run water until medium hot
2. Put rubber stopper in drain
3. Place brush in sink
4. Splash water on face as sink fills
5. Shake brush two or three times
6. Swirl brush on soap
7. Build lather on face
8. One pass WTG
9. Some cleanup strokes on chin and jawline
10. Rinse razor and brush
11. Get into shower
Rich
Lou

Post by Lou »

I shower at night.

15-20 minutes after I get up, I wash my face and hold a hot facecloth to my beard for a few minutes.

I partially fill my sink with hot water, soak my brush for a bit, load the brush with soap, and face lather.

I do one WTG pass, then an XTG pass on my mustache and chin.

I rinse off my face with cold water, soak the face cloth with cold water, add a squirt of witch hazel, and hold it to my face for about 10 seconds. I rinse again with cold water.

I apply an AS balm, which is the last step in the shave portion of my morning routine.
brothers

Re:

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:After the shower

Soak brush in warm water in scuttle
Face-lather
Shave
Extract extra lather from brush and rub on face
Clean up
Rinse face
Apply post shave treatments
It's always interesting to look back from the present. This routine has changed a lot. I don't even remember writing that previous response. Here's my currrent routine:

1. Pour my preferrred amount of distilled water from a bottle onto the dry soap in the bowl where it resides until it's all used up.
2. Take a completely dry brush and begin to swirl/load the brush on the watery soap for 20 seconds.
3. Stand the sudsy brush on the countertop.
4. Transfer the proto-lather with my finger from the soap/container into my wooden lathering bowl.
5. Pick up the sudsy brush and build the lather in the wooden bowl until it reaches the look and texture I prefer. Add an appropriate amount of distilled water, if needed.
6. Shave and continue as listed above.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Re: Your Daily Shave Routine

Post by JRTASTER »

I'm glad you bumped a thread previously missed.
Interesting to see the differences and similarities in
everyone's routines.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Re: Re:

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:
brothers wrote:
October 1, 2011

After the shower

Soak brush in warm water in scuttle
Face-lather
Shave
Extract extra lather from brush and rub on face
Clean up
Rinse face
Apply post shave treatments
November 17, 2013

It's always interesting to look back from the present. This routine has changed a lot. I don't even remember writing that previous response. Here's my currrent routine:

1. Pour my preferrred amount of distilled water from a bottle onto the dry soap in the bowl where it resides until it's all used up.
2. Take a completely dry brush and begin to swirl/load the brush on the watery soap for 20 seconds.
3. Stand the sudsy brush on the countertop.
4. Transfer the proto-lather with my finger from the soap/container into my wooden lathering bowl.
5. Pick up the sudsy brush and build the lather in the wooden bowl until it reaches the look and texture I prefer. Add an appropriate amount of distilled water, if needed.
6. Shave and continue as listed above.
May 6. 2016

Updating once again to bring things current. So far, all of the changes are working together to get the best shaves and keep the enjoyment alive ----

1 (a) Face-lather shaving cream. Dip out the desired amount of cream from the tub or squirt it out of the tube onto my fingers, then distribute the cream on my face.
1 (b) Face-lather shaving soap in the tub. Load the brush on the soap then transfer the loaded brush to the face to distribute the proto-lather and build the lather.
2. Shave/cleanup/splash with aftershave.

This is about as simple as it gets.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
poppi

Post by poppi »

Mine's pretty standard I think but it works for me.

Apply warm flannel to face for about 2 minutes
Wash with a glycerin based soap and lightly rinse
Apply cream/soap with brush as I exclusively face lather
Use the razor/blade of the day for 2 passes and touch up
Rinse and use a 50/50 combo of Osage Rub/Witch Hazel
Apply A/S or Cologne of the day....

...and I"m all done except for the cleanup which I hate. But that's another thing in it's self
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I agree with poppi that the post-shave cleanup can be tedious.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Doing a 3 pass shave, I apply the lather for 1 and 2 with the brush. For the final pass I grasp the brush by the head, squeeze out the lather and apply it with my hand. Seems ultra simple and I like to do it.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the post-shave cleanup can be tedious.
arent you guys married??????? :D :D :D :D

JUST KIDDING
de gustibus non est disputandum
poppi

Post by poppi »

fallingwickets wrote:
the post-shave cleanup can be tedious.
arent you guys married??????? :D :D :D :D

JUST KIDDING
Married?? Yup and for a long time too. My bride insists that I clean up after myself. She says she did it for too many years and now that we are empty nesters, it's on me. It's still tedious and I still don't like it.
brothers

Post by brothers »

After putting a lot of thought into it, I just realized that my daily shave routine is never complete unless I finish by growing another crop of whiskers for tomorrow's shave. Without that final step, the chain would be broken. [-X Makes me so sad . . . :cry:
Gary