The sensitive skin and a big Welcome to you all:)

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
celar36

The sensitive skin and a big Welcome to you all:)

Post by celar36 »

Hi and Welcome,

I recently enter the world of wetshaving due my extremely sensitive skin issues. Prior to that I used Mach 3 and Nivea sensitive foam.

Now Iam in phase of trials and erros. I have Gillette from 70s my fathers one , which gave me much superior shave.
Thanks to mantic, this forum and one bardershop I choose to buy and test following stuff:

Gillette Adjustable 1959 (E-4)
PRORASO - CUTTING EDGE - GLYCERIN CLEANSING SOAP
PRORASO PRE & POST SHAVE CREAM - SENSITIVE SKIN
I COLONIALI SOFTENING SHAVING CREAM RHUBARB
PRORASO CUTTING EDGE - RAZOR BURN RELIEF
Alum Block
PRORASO CUTTING EDGE PROTECTIVE AFTERSHAVE CREAM

Also later I want to test cream from "PREP" Brand

Later I will write how all this works:) when I will get it:)

Moreover, I have TOOBS Pure Badger brush.( my brother one, mistake with men-u from my fiance sorry)

Blades I am testing atm is Merkur. Wilkinson Sword Made in Germany and I have coming Polsilver and Super iridium blades.

My question is, as I know is from personal preferences:) which blade you had experience is good to sensitive skin?
And do you think I made right choice with everything?

Cheer Jack
Last edited by celar36 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF Jack.

The question of sensitive skin is an interesting one. Many come to wet shaving convinced that they have sensitive when in fact we didn't - we simply had treated our shaving experience without real focused consideration on technique. I am not suggesting that you fall into this category, just saying that there is a possibility that technique could solve your concerns. And if it doesn't fully resolve them, it should lend itself to getting you a long way down the path to a comfortable DE shaving experience.

I am not fully versed in all your products of choice, but would add one word of suggestion. Starting out, you may find it best to keep things as simple as possible. Insofar as different blades are concerned, you would probably be best served getting a sampler pack from one of the many online vendors who sell these.

Remember to focus on proper preparation, blade angle and pressure. And do so exercising the most amount of patience you can muster - then increase your patience. Don't focus on getting bbs right off the bat -- understand how the blade works on your skin and then worry about more advanced techniques.

Mantic's videos are still one of the best - if not the best - sources for basic to advanced instruction. And he does it in the most entertaining way.

Keep at it, don't loose hope, and you will eventually be rewarded with the results you seek.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

jww wrote:Welcome to SMF Jack.

The question of sensitive skin is an interesting one. Many come to wet shaving convinced that they have sensitive when in fact we didn't - we simply had treated our shaving experience without real focused consideration on technique. I am not suggesting that you fall into this category, just saying that there is a possibility that technique could solve your concerns. And if it doesn't fully resolve them, it should lend itself to getting you a long way down the path to a comfortable DE shaving experience.

I am not fully versed in all your products of choice, but would add one word of suggestion. Starting out, you may find it best to keep things as simple as possible. Insofar as different blades are concerned, you would probably be best served getting a sampler pack from one of the many online vendors who sell these.

Remember to focus on proper preparation, blade angle and pressure. And do so exercising the most amount of patience you can muster - then increase your patience. Don't focus on getting bbs right off the bat -- understand how the blade works on your skin and then worry about more advanced techniques.

Mantic's videos are still one of the best - if not the best - sources for basic to advanced instruction. And he does it in the most entertaining way.

Keep at it, don't loose hope, and you will eventually be rewarded with the results you seek.
+1

Welcome Jack

From a fellow UK ite, Wendell has summarised this well but hopefully you will enjoy the journey.

Hope to see you post more often, there are many here that are always willing to help.

From my experience one thing I learned early on is not to try to use blades to many times as once they start to go away there is a tendency to increase the pressure to compensate. This is something you do not want to do as this will cause more soreness/irritation. Most blades usually last 4-6 shaves YMMV.

From your blade selection I would use the Super Iridium's everytime while you can still get them, but of course many here will favour others, its very much a personal thing, so the sample packs are agreat idea.

All the best
John
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Excellent advice from Wendell and John. Patience yes, and as Wendell said, don't worry about a baby butt smooth (BBS) shave just yet. And that TOBS shave brush is plenty good, I'd not be in a rush to go and get more brushes yet - just enjoy the shave first and then, induldge your fancy with different brushes. I used a Crabtree and Evelyn little badger brush for over a year, and then got a Kent BK 8 that I used a year.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Welcome Jack, good advice already supplied, keep it simple and be patient.
Good shaving,

Gary
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Hi,
Thanks for reply.

About sensitive skin. Sadly I have one. It always cause a pain to shave:/ Especially neck area and moustache.
First I tried shave with Merkur blade and Nivea Shave cream. After research, I came to conclusion I will try Proraso line.
My face always go quickly dry. Especially after shower and warm weather. That another point I choose to really re-hydrate my face.

I am very patience person and I shave very carefully with no what so ever rush. Simply basic that is it:)

My 77y old father gave me basic of shaving with DE with was really good lesson ( I shave with DE about 4-5 ) I am fully aware that it will take few months to master it. Patience is Virtue:)

I watched all Mantic videos and even spoken with him for word of advice also.
From my experience one thing I learned early on is not to try to use blades to many times as once they start to go away there is a tendency to increase the pressure to compensate. This is something you do not want to do as this will cause more soreness/irritation. Most blades usually last 4-6 shaves YMMV.
About the blades. Cheers for info. I had feeling last shaving was bit more irritating.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good morning Jack, welcome aboard. The brush, razor and blades you have will work fine until you feel confident enough with your technique to start branching out. The Polsilver and Iridiums are very good blades and you really can't do much better than those.

I don't use any pre or post shave cleansers or balms because they don't improve my shave and add unnecessary steps to the process. Just water, brush, shave soap/cream, razor and blade. Using only these should not produce any burn or discomfort if your technique is correct so I suggest you work on technique first with the equipment you already have. A comfortable shave is the primary goal and patience and practice will get you there.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Jack -- about your setting on the adjustable - you may want to move it back to about a 3 or perhaps even a 2.

Perhaps you may want to consider an investment in a Gillette vintage Tech -- pretty much the least aggressive of any DE razor that I have ever used. Another option would be to pick up some Bic sensitive single blade disposables. They are excellent for learning technique, and are quite forgiving in the process. I keep a stash that I take with me when I travel by plane for work when I need to carry all my baggage on with me allowing me to avoid baggage claim lineups and getting to the taxi or rental car queue more quickly.

Regarding technique -- figuring out blade angle can be a tad difficult at first. Here is what I did based on the many suggestions from others in the know many years ago.

Assuming a downward stroke (we usually refer to is as north to south -- i.e from the top of your face towards the bottom).
1. Start with the top of the razor head flat against your face, holding the razor with your elbow away from you. The razor handle is parallel to the floor, as is your forearm.
2. Thinking of the razor as an extension to your forearm, slowly, ever so slowly, let the razor handle end drop in the direction of the downward stroke while lowering your arm at the shoulder ever so slightly and while keeping your arm and razor in a single strait line.
3. As soon as you hear the little pings of the whiskers being cut, stop dropping your arm and keep that angle as you finish the stroke. If you go too far, you will feel a pull or scraping sensation on your skin.
4. Use your wrist to make micro adjustments to angle to keep the pings consistent.

Now -- use the same technique whenever you change stroke direction by tilting the razor handle in the direction of the stroke and adjusting your arm angle accordingly.

That's how I conquered blade angle.

For pressure it was much simpler for me. If I felt the blade on my face, then there was way too much pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the work of the cutting rather than placing pressure on your face. The thing I try to focus on is sensing the razor head and not the blade. This isn't particularly fool-proof, but it helped me tremendously when I moved from a cartridge to a DE razor.

I suppose what I am saying is that I find that it's all about controlling the razor rather than shaving with it like you see on those commercials advertising cartridge shaving with lightening speed. As so imminently put so many times on this forum -- it's your face not a race (thanks to Oscar for that one -- think it's my favourite tag line on SMF).

Insofar as products are concerned, I would agree with Squire that as a beginner you would probably be well served if you kept the mix very simple at first. Stick with a single soap or cream, one brush, and basic aftershave balm. I personally am a skin food user - that, some witch hazel and The Body Shop Razor Relief have been my post-shave staples over years. Simple, basic and they work. Period. I guess compared to Squire, though, I am a heavy user of post-shave product. ymmv

My apologies for my lengthy posts as most of the long-term members have already seen these types of responses from me over the years. I am in a writing mood today. :wink:
Last edited by jww on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wendell

celar36

Post by celar36 »

Thank you so much it is very educational:)
Got here few tips I really didnt know about:)
I learnt from Mantic that razor is extension of your arm.
To dont work with wrist. Still fighting old Mach 3 habit:/ But slightly Im getting there.
About angle thats what I was struggling. What my father supervised on me. Its was around 30 degrees but still it will take to master perfect angle. Im stubborn peron and I will get there:)

I will think about Gillette Tech

Cheers Jack :)
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Persius

Post by Persius »

Another welcome (from UK). I hope you enjoy starting out on your journey as much as I have enjoyed the beginning of mine.

Lots of really good advice already. My top suggestion would be to take it all on board and not get stressed about attaining perfection instantly.

As another chap with sensitive skin, I'd just like to share a couple of observations: I have found that Rose creams are good for me and Limes-based creams are not. Your skin may have different reactions to mine, but finding what works for you is all part of the journey.

I still have a wealth of other flavours of cream samples to try, so my opinion may yet change to include other types in what I class as "acceptable".

D R Harris, T&H and GFT all do sample sizes, so you can road test a bunch of stuff at minimal cost.

Likewise, blades do make a difference to me, and I have found something that works for me. Hope you find a combination that suits you.

Above all else, technique does matter - still working on that ...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hello Jack. Welcome to SMF. I like your first posts. The I Coloniali shave cream you are using is an excellent choice. You have been given a lot of great advice here. Good luck!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Thank you all for warm welcome and good advices.
I do appreciate all of them :)

As my future wife said she is afraid shaving is becoming my hobby,
after the amount of research I do ( probably after I said that we definitely are going to Jermyn St in London next week during her shopping spree :twisted: )
Just wanna look and get advice as I am happy with choices I already did!

Thanks again Guys!

PS
I watched forum for last two weeks, and I can say I will visit this place as often as my work allow me:)
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome Jack!

I'll just repeat a couple of ideas that I found important when I started traditional wetshaving.

1) As a beginner, don't worry about getting a perfect shave. Just learn how to give yourself a comfortable shave first.

2) Unlike the multi-bladed cartridges, a safety razor calls for no pressure. Allow the razor's head to rest on your cheek, etc., and allow its weight to provide the closeness you need.

3) Expect the first three weeks to be fairly difficult. After that it will be easy. Don't get discouraged.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Jack just tell the wife it's cheaper than golf and it keeps you at home.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum!

You've gotten very good advice. Go slow and change only one variable at a time. Don't chaotically change variables. If you do you'll find yourself absolutely nowhere. You can only learn by a base of stability. Keep things the same and learn the basics. Pick a blade and stay with that type for now. I suggest the blade that has the largest number in the pack. Brand doesn't matter, you won't know good from bad. But you can do a lot worse than any Iridium, that's as good as a blade gets.

Proper technique will get you what you want. I know it's been mentioned before, but hearing it again won't hurt. Great lather is a must. Proper angle will get you a good shave, lousy angle won't do anything if you dial your razor down; you won't even get a shave. And the thing we always stress- NO PRESSURE. When you think you're using no pressure, use even less.

But enough of that.

Remind the wife that you're home and enjoying what you do at home. There is much worse than that. Too, don't forget to involve her. She shaves, yes? (I don't need or want the answer.) It's much easier to indulge yourself if she gets involved. There are plenty of Lady Gillettes available. Yes, shaving can absolutely be a hobby. There are much worse hobbies to have and shaving is a very practical hobby to have since you'll be doing it for the rest of your life. You have the option of enjoying it or suffering through it. I bet you can guess which option everyone here chooses. If I'm going to do something for the rest of my life I want to do it in a manner that's pleasureable so that I can enjoy it. I'm going to bet your wife wants you clean shaven. An enjoyable shave ensures a clean shaven face.

Too, many times we hurry to rush through something that should be enjoyable; that would be a great shave; just to scurry off in a hurry to get to something else that we hope will be enjoyable.

A great blade shave is something to be enjoyed and not rushed. It's OK somewhere down the road to get an efficient great shave, but rush... never! A great shave is a very sensuous facial experience. Slow down, take your time, get the shave you desire and then, after all of that, move on to the next enjoyment of the day. Savor what you have at the moment, not some possibility that requires you to hurry.

When you need help, we're here.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ShadowsDad wrote:...
Remind [your future] wife that you're home and enjoying what you do at home. There is much worse than that. ...
Indeed. :wink:
Wendell

celar36

Post by celar36 »

What in our opinion people is the best Gillette? To use and have? As I am thinking to buy something new.

Thanks
Jack
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Jack

There is quite a choice as you can imagine however if I have to choose one it would be the English HD Rocket

All the best
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gillette long handle slim adjustable, aka the Super Adjustable.
Regards,
Squire