The sensitive skin and a big Welcome to you all:)

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

celar36 wrote:What in our opinion people is the best Gillette? To use and have? As I am thinking to buy something new.

Thanks
The best Gillette is a vintage Gillette -- their "new" cartridge razors are, well, cartridge razors. What more can I say than has already been said?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
celar36

Post by celar36 »

jww wrote:
celar36 wrote:What in our opinion people is the best Gillette? To use and have? As I am thinking to buy something new.

Thanks
The best Gillette is a vintage Gillette -- their "new" cartridge razors are, well, cartridge razors. What more can I say than has already been said?
Beautiful. Its whole quintessence of Gillette :) When the world of quality became a world of quantity (and money).
Jack
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

jww wrote:

Thanks

+1
John
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I just got it Tech with a case from 60s and as gift from seller a fat handle before 1950. Also I bought English Gillette Rocket confusing it with HD model but I do love it( better shave then a fatboy). Ochh I have on the way another tech NOS never used.

Also I was thinking is it worth to buy with my sensitive skin a Red tip or better 1948 super speed?
Jack
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The SS is IMO a step up in aggressiveness and maybe all you'll ever need. Maybe.

I've heard rumblings that a red tip is aggressive, but I have no personal knowledge of this, so I'll let others handle that.

I'm an aggressive razor junkie, and I really dislike mild razors anymore. That having been said, lots of folks like and use them, and they're great for noobs (not written as a slight), you may or may not like the SS, only you can decide that. For me, it's the mildest razor that I can use and actually like.

BTW, it sounds as though you're doing pretty good, Yes?

We're here when you need us and even if you only want to chew the fat.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Thanks!
ShadowsDad wrote: BTW, it sounds as thought you're doing pretty good, Yes?

We're here when you need us and even if you only want to chew the fat.
Might buy SS first. Also I am testing blades I like Super Iridium. Polsilver are just bit more then ok for me ( 1 more shave and change). Then I have astra and Treet. I would like to test Personna Prep but I cant get the hold of them same Gillette Swede :cry: Might buy feather and test it.

Now to the creams,
TOBS Jermyn St. Collection for sensitive skin is good
I colonali not sadly must passed.
Want to try MWF and Dr. Harris Soaps. (Still didnt have time for a trip to london)

A/S
4711 ok but not in my taste.
Like TOBS Jermyn St. Colletion
same do like it Ogallala Bay Rum
and ass I mentioned I would like to try Japanese MG5 and Harris Pink

och also want to try trumpet skin foods

I have like little cut like needle punch after shaving on my neck.

uff thats all folks :D
Jack
Persius

Post by Persius »

celar36 wrote: I would like to test Personna Prep but I cant get the hold of them.
I thought that you could get these at Connaughtshaving.com - worth having a look. They're on holiday until 4 May, but the website is still fully on-line ...
celar36 wrote: Want to try ... Dr. Harris Soaps. (Still didnt have time for a trip to london)
Popped into DR Harris this week - they're really lovely people in the shop; happy to help! And they have small shave cream samples for £3; these go on for ages in my hands, so £3 is good value.

I've liked everything of theirs that I've tried, and I'm in the sensitive skin camp like your good self.

Also, T&H is just the other side of the road to DR Harris; too tempting not to pop over & have a look!

Enjoy your trip into Town (whenever you make it ...)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Persius wrote: . . . Popped into DR Harris this week - they're really lovely people in the shop; happy to help! And they have small shave cream samples for £3; these go on for ages in my hands, so £3 is good value. . . .
When you were in Harris' did they happen to indicate when their new Windsor range of products will be available? Did they let you get a smell of the new fragrance? It was supposed to be available starting in April.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Persius

Post by Persius »

brothers wrote: When you were in Harris' did they happen to indicate when their new Windsor range of products will be available? Did they let you get a smell of the new fragrance? It was supposed to be available starting in April.
Sorry - that'll be a no and a no! There was no sign of anything new.

I should have asked - I'm calling them this week to ask a couple of questions - I'll ask then and post what they say here.
Persius

Post by Persius »

brothers wrote:did they happen to indicate when their new Windsor range of products will be available?
Just spoke the gents at DR Harris, and they say that they are just waiting for a few little things to come through, dotting Is & crossing Ts, and putting finishing touches to a few bits of marketing, so the Windsor range should be in the store within the next 2-3 weeks.

:D
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Didn't find the new line on their website, presumably it has been announced in their news letter. I noticed a reference to an expanded line which implies new products in the future.
Regards,
Squire
Persius

Post by Persius »

Squire wrote:Didn't find the new line on their website, presumably it has been announced in their news letter. I noticed a reference to an expanded line which implies new products in the future.
I follow them on Twitter and FB, and there has been nothing there since February, so they are either giving up on all the new social media, or there is nothing to report. I guess we'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks ...
Persius

Post by Persius »

@DRHarrisLondon Twitter account has first details of Windsor range. Can't see it on their website yet ...
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Im off tomorrow to Dr. Harris shop! finally may say :D
Cant make my mind what to buy :) feel like a child going to toy store :P

Also went trough blade test and I can best for my sensitive skin by far is:

1. Personna Prep
2. Iridium Super
3. Polsilver

Never again Astra, wilkinson, merkur, treet, Gillette blue

To be tested Feather and Shark SS

Also my fav razor is English Rocket and Tech fat handle ( condition is just good, might replate or buy a new one) Dont like the Tech ball end one might sell it( have two one is going for my brother and one NOS Probably on sell here, we will see). Fatboy is terrible for my skin( no matter which setting, but I will keep it and come back to it one day)

Im awaiting a SS 1948 from one of our members.

After that I am planning to buy Feather AS and maybe Aristocrat or Slim Adj. or something else who knows:) in few months after weeding.

Colognes
Fav TOBS Jermyn ST Collection

4711 not so good for me,

Ogallala Bay rum is good

Might buy tomorrow Harris pink and some skin food, will see.

Now about the brush :

Simpson Duke 2 best, amazing kudos to Mark!

Sorry for bit chaos:)
Jack
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It sounds like you're doing great! All ADs in place!

Based on the blades you like, if you can find some Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows, you might like those as well.

I'm trying to remember... are the Gillette Blues Indian? I think they might be. I find all of the Gillette blades from St. Petersburg to be quite good.

Good luck on your outing.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Ok so two months passed since I joined SMF and world of wet shaving.
I know bit of repetition but some things changed
I can say I am extremely happy with a progress by far.

I tested Fatboy, tech, fat handle tech, rocket 1962 and SS 1948 by far goes like that:

1. Rocket and SS
2. tech's
3. Fatboy

Truly cant much shave with tech's and fatboy too much irritation

I am planning by at the end of the year Feather AS as mentioned before.

Blades:

Went trough a lot of them my fav the best etc is Personna "Prep" then Super Iridiums with Feather(bit irritation from both) and Polsilver (last blade I took was terrible and I trashed but before Polsilver were fine).

Cream/Stick etc:

Using TOBS Jermyn ST

Would like try some citrus one and Simpson new shavng cream. Any help?

Plan on buying tabac stick and Palmolive

A/S

Mention before but still searching for the one. Dont have any idea what to buy any proposition?

Brush:

Definitely fan of Simpson. Have Duke 2 in Best and love it. Soon around september I will post WTB for Somerset Simpson and Hope somebody will help me out not for collection but for pure enjoyment of shaving with legend!

Prep:

I am happy with Glycerine soap and Prep Proraso cream. Any other suggetion for a change sometimes?

And Finally I would like to kindly thank you all of you together and separately for advice, kind words, warmth and support during this all time I asked so many questions :)

I am 23 years only who swap to wet shaving thanks to you guys!
It really made bit difference for me!
Jack
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Bit of coming back to this post as thank you for everybody input to educate me in old good way of shaving like man. Almost one year now passed and a lot happened, like I got married, graduated etc.. but what is also important I found a comfortable shave.

I am still learning during every shave I have but I can say pretty much I am happy. My face dont have more ingrown's, weepers, irritation and rash. Is more soft (thanks to Kramperts Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum, truly magical stuff) closer shaved and look more healthy. My go to razor is SE EverReady Streamline and brush is Simpson 2XL Colonel LE 2 Band, I just love them together with p.160 or KMF cream.

Many people ask me why I even shave? In their opinion I dont have much hairs on face. I say ohh yes I have but I get closer shave then you. What is yours shave face thats my 30h grown due you cannot get so close shave as me!

I not only evolve thanks to you in my technique but you also taught me how to behave like a true gentleman and for that I wish you all the best!

Jack
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jack, you're a solid and knowledgeable member of SMF. Thanks for your first year of participation. Are you still using the I Coloniali shaving cream? I'm looking forward to getting back to mine pretty soon.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Wow! A year!? It doesn't seem that long my friend!

Your participation on the forum is a joy.
Brian

celar36

Post by celar36 »

brothers wrote:Jack, you're a solid and knowledgeable member of SMF. Thanks for your first year of participation. Are you still using the I Coloniali shaving cream? I'm looking forward to getting back to mine pretty soon.
Nope my brother love it and he took it from my when he was visiting UK.

I actually convert him for DE:). He have Tech and Slim from my together with TOBS Badger Brus, Iridium Blades and tons of creams(he still prefer Polish Bond cream)

@Brian

I know time goes quick:)
Jack