DE razor handed down to me

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
thefanofsafetyrazors

Re: DE razor handed down to me

Post by thefanofsafetyrazors »

eeffoc wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm new to wet shaving with a DE razor (I've been using cartridge blades) My dad just sent me his old DE razor and blades, I remember watching him shave with it as a kid.
my_gillett.png
The razor is adjustable and was wondering what is the difference between shaving on setting 1 and shaving on setting 9?

I don't have a brush yet and have just been trying to lather my shaving cream in my hands. I'm starting to get used to holding the razor but I'm finding I am having trouble with my neck and chin area. Will using a brush to apply the lather help with reducing sensitivity?

Thanks
Wow, is that an old Gillette double edge safety razor? My double edge safety razor is the legendary Shick Krona. Yours has a longer handle than mine. Enjoy your dad's old razor in the best of good health. If you're thinking about getting rid of it, don't. It's family treasure! :) You'll thank me someday once you keep it.
desertbadger

Re: DE razor handed down to me

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to the Forum. Sometimes the hand-me-downs can be real treasures and enjoyed immensely. I still have and sometimes use a 1949 Gillette DE razor my uncle gave me, brand new in it's travel case, when I began shaving in 1965. He was kind of a hoarder and bought several of them, because in his words "they were the best". I think he was right! Of all the DE razors I've had over the years this is still the best one I own.
Regards,
David