One of my better ideas

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
brothers

Re: One of my better ideas

Post by brothers »

Night shaving didn't work out over the long haul for some reason, and the twice daily shave was ok for a while, but now I seem to have gravitated back to mornings.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Had a 2 1/2 day beard growth, so I shaved this afternoon at around 3:00. I think I'll probably do it again tomorrow morning just to get back into the pre-workday morning habit.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I just shave when I find the time. Mostly at night lately, after midnight, but I'm not holding fast to that.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I think I am in the minority here on this one. I prefer mornings for a couple of reasons.

First, for some bizarre reason, when I try to shave at night, (and I think it is knowing that my beard grows quickly) I manage to try too hard for that BBS shave...and my face pays the price.

Secondly, my beard is dark enough, that if I shaved at night...I would look like I needed to shave again by noon the next day. Even after a good shave, you can still see the darkness of my beard...though no whiskers are apparent.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I prefer mornings.
Regards,
Squire
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I prefer mornings, but I get my most pleasureful shaves at night (and on weekends), when I have more time.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I'm semi retired, and my time is my own, for the most part. I've been a wet shaver all my life, but only in the last few years have I been using a DE. My first razor (around 1971) was the just released Gillette Trac II. From there to Atra, and then on to ST2 disposables. I never made it to triple blade and beyond - instead I switched to a Merkur 1904 solid bar, and it's been DE ever since.

For most of my shaving career I too was a morning shaver. At some point I obtained one of those fog free, suction cup shower mirrors and was morning shower shaving almost exclusively for more than a decade. Then, at some later point after retirement, I began using my DE in the early afternoon standing at the bathroom sink.

Like many of us here on this and other shaving forums, I was lurking online a lot trying to glean any tips for getting THE PERFECT SHAVE.
I have subsequently come to the conclusion that just enjoying my shave is what really counts.

Regarding the question of shaving before or after showering, I will usually not shave right after a shower - for one thing, the mirror is all fogged up. Also, a tip that has payed off for me is cold water shaves - for whatever reason I seem to get better shaves with cold water, but it's none too pleasant in winter. Still, summer will be here before we know it, and then the cold water will feel marvelous!

If I shave just before bedtime and use a new blade in my R41, my face will still look quite smooth through most of the next day.
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

BiffBuff wrote:I have subsequently come to the conclusion that just enjoying my shave is what really counts.
That's pretty much my take on it.
Regards,
Squire
nwohio

Post by nwohio »

+1
Mike
SonOfRobert

Post by SonOfRobert »

This is probably old hat, but it was the first time for me. This year when I came back to shaving like my grandpa, I decided to go all in and start shaving on the back porch like he did. Of course, he did it out of necessity since we didn't have a bathroom. Winter shaving was done in the kitchen in front of a mirror. Today, after I had finished the passes and rinsed the lather from my face completely, I realized I had no cold water with me. I dried my face and went to the freezer for an ice cube. Took it outside and rubbed it all over my face. Then I applied the alum block. Noticed a lot less sting. Anyone else out there ever tried the ice treatment?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think a lot of guys use cold water to finish up, but I must say you're the first one I've heard of who used an ice cube! Yow! :shock: Are you going to do it more often? :D
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I expect the ice desensitized your skin somewhat but it's not something I've tried.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've never tried an ice-cube finish, but I have known others who did.

- Murray
SonOfRobert

Post by SonOfRobert »

When I shave outside with hot water, I only have the one source - the hot tap water in my tea kettle. So I have had to finish with a cold water rinse at the sink. Then I have to clean up the sink which more or less defeats the purpose of shaving outside on the porch - make a wet mess and walk away. I got rid of the lather using the hot water ( now just warm ) and came in to cold rinse. The wife asked for some ice water and I thought HMMM!! Fixed her the water and took one cube out to the porch. I think you are right about the de-sensitizing or is it numbing. I had a couple of nicks and even they didn't burn when I put on the alum block. I think I will use this again if I am outside shaving on the porch. It is a lot easier than going all the way back to the bathroom for the cold rinse.
Thanks
Dan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I suppose plunging your face into an ice water bath would work as well. I've heard of that.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:I suppose plunging your face into an ice water bath would work as well. I've heard of that.
:lol:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?