Shaving Is Not Smooth

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
brothers

Shaving Is Not Smooth

Post by brothers »

sbacher wrote: I have been wet shaving since the day after Christmas and have been getting the best shaves of my life. However, the last few days I have been having a problem. I have been following my same routine of showering, creating lather, rewetting, shave WTG, rewet and lather, shave XTG, rewet and lather, shave ATG, rinse, apply Witch Hazel and ASB. The problem is, when I shave the razor seems to pull rather than glide and the lather and my face seem dry.

I did start using some KMF Patchouli as well as some KMF Lavender a few days ago (had been using Proraso). The first shave with the KMF was as smooth and easy as my previous shaves but the last three have been rough and dry. I tried adding a few drops of Glycerin to the cream yesterday and have been getting the same consistency with my lather as always. I also tried putting a new blade in my razor, but it was no help. I am currently using a Merkur Futur with Feather blades.

Any suggestions?
My suggestion would be that maybe the rewetting between passes might be diluting the shaving cream to the point that it loses its ability to provide cushion and glide (slickness) to the extent your razor needs these properties so it can move across the face. Could be that Proraso withstands the excessive water better than the KMF. Just my guess.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: Shaving Is Not Smooth

Post by bernards66 »

Clearly the lather is not adequate, it seems to be drying out or disappearing on your face. Try using significently more product. If that doesn't do it, maybe go back to Proraso? Personally I've never been a big fan of the KMF shave products.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

sbacher, any updates on your progress with the lather?
Regards,
Squire
numerouno

Post by numerouno »

From your descriptions, it seems as if ur lather is way too thick ! add some water to it. u need a hydrated lather and not a super thick one [-X
brothers

Post by brothers »

TarikGex, welcome to SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444