Straight shave howto video, Moss Scuttle Howto & acronym

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
rowly

Re: Straight shave howto video, Moss Scuttle Howto & acronym

Post by rowly »

With the improvement of technology,there are more and more electronic products appear in people's daily life.We have to admit that the mobile phone make our modern life better and more convenient.However the cell phone sometimes cause new problems and breaks up people's peaceful life.

*Post edited by Moderator to remove potential spam.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I see they offer the ever popular Explosion-proof Type 12W High Power Mobile Phone Signal Jammer.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

About the Moss (and similar) scuttles:
Does it ever become necessary to take extraordinary measures to clean out the inside of the hot water chamber? (i.e. between the inner and outer bowls)
Mold, soap scum, drain flies, Serratia marcescens ... ?
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

John Rose wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:24 pm About the Moss (and similar) scuttles:
Does it ever become necessary to take extraordinary measures to clean out the inside of the hot water chamber? (i.e. between the inner and outer bowls)
I'm not sure it's necessary, but I fill my scuttle's reservoir with white vinegar and let it sit overnight once a month.
_______
John
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

John Rose wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:24 pm About the Moss (and similar) scuttles:
Nope. Used mine for years and never had an issue like that. Never cleaned it.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

This would be unnecessary. Think for a moment about the fact that it's a vessel for hot water to transfer heat to the exterior of the bowl where the soap/lather resides. Do I ever contemplate cleaning out the inside of the 50 gallon hot water heater that sits in my garage, or the pipes through which the hot water flows? Nope! Not happening. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

brothers wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 am This would be unnecessary. Think for a moment about the fact that it's a vessel for hot water to transfer heat to the exterior of the bowl where the soap/lather resides.
Well, the Moss scuttle is not sealed up, so lather (new or used) can enter by the filler hole.
It is true that the lather you would be using has never seen the inside of the scuttle, so it's not a big deal.
Do I ever contemplate cleaning out the inside of the 50 gallon hot water heater that sits in my garage, or the pipes through which the hot water flows? Nope! Not happening. 8)
That's probably not the best analogy. I had a plumber tell me he'd found the remains of several dead eels in an old water heater. :shock:
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hmmm --- something to think about. I suppose there are some things we should do, but don't, as opposed to some things we never thought of doing. Eels in my water? :shock:
Gary