tapatalk and shave my face

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
66GilletteSlim

tapatalk and shave my face

Post by 66GilletteSlim »

Im new to the forum and was wondering if i can get this forum on tapatalk. I cant seem to find it when i search thanks
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: tapatalk and shave my face

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm afraid we don't have the Tapatalk plugin installed. If there is enough demand for it, I can ask the site's owner if he would install it. We do seem to cater to a more staid kind of crowd who post from desktops and laptops rather than from smartphones. When you shave once a day, there isn't any point (or dignity—some names come to mind) in posting every five minutes. I'm willing to ask if the demand is there.

Oh, just to explain the odd arrangement here. We have an absentee landlord who used to be enthusiastic, but is now so rarely seen he might just be as real as Bigfoot or Nessie. However, he pays the bills so we have our fun at his expense and try not to bother him too much in case he decides we are too much trouble. Odd, I know. But isn't it just like real life?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

What's tapatalk?....I probably don't really what to know, do I?
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tapatalk is a skill beyond my ken Gordon but is apparently mastered by your average first grader.
Regards,
Squire
66GilletteSlim

Post by 66GilletteSlim »

bernards66 wrote:What's tapatalk?....I probably don't really what to know, do I?
Regards,
Gordon
It allows you to follow forums on your phone or tablet and notifies you when someone posts in a thread you follow. Pretty Cool!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

What's a tablet?
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

66GilletteSlim wrote:
bernards66 wrote:What's tapatalk?....I probably don't really what to know, do I?
Regards,
Gordon
It allows you to follow forums on your phone or tablet and notifies you when someone posts in a thread you follow. Pretty Cool!
Gordon doesn't actually want to know what Tapatalk is—he wants to be reassured he is properly behind the times by being told he knows nothing whatsoever about it and need not learn anything about it either! He would be truly horrified if he woke up one day and understood what, for example, a 'tweet' might be. Quite charming. :roll:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

:lol:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

:lol: :!:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Thank you. I knew I didn't want to know...I was quite sure of it.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The utility and necessity of Tapatalk seems marginal at best, but this comes from a guy who parted company with cell/mobile phones 8 years ago. I do have an iPad, but it's not much to my liking; I'm thinking about giving it to SWMBO and buying a note book.
Bryan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryan, Ah!...a kindred spirit!....you see, all of you!....I'm not alone, so there! I just never went there to begin with so now I don't have to go back. I was pretty well forced to get my very first cell phone two and a half years ago, but that is what it is...it's a phone, not a computer, TV, or phaser...I make phone calls on it. If people insist on texting me and what they send needs a reply I call them back.
Regards,
Gordon
66GilletteSlim

Post by 66GilletteSlim »

drmoss_ca wrote:
66GilletteSlim wrote:
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon doesn't actually want to know what Tapatalk is—he wants to be reassured he is properly behind the times by being told he knows nothing whatsoever about it and need not learn anything about it either! He would be truly horrified if he woke up one day and understood what, for example, a 'tweet' might be. Quite charming. :roll:

Chris
Chris
That was pretty funny, I got rid of my flip phone along time ago.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I still have a cell phone. After I retired I started getting calls from investment houses (how does one get on these lists?) and after a half dozen or so of these I turned the phone off and put it in the desk drawer. I take it out and turn it on when I want to make a call (perhaps twice a month) then back in the desk it goes. Every few weeks it buzzes telling me to recharge the battery but otherwise I'm blissfully unaware of the thing.
Regards,
Squire
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

At times these phones can be as
handy as a pocket on a shirt.

But in other ways they are a curse...
or at least the addiction so many people
have to them. How many spend the vast
majority of their waking hours looking
down at the little screen in their hands??

Until this thread I had never heard of Tapatalk and
I have zero interest. As far as tweets go...birds tweet
I don't.

Terry
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Squire wrote:I still have a cell phone. After I retired I started getting calls from investment houses (how does one get on these lists?) and after a half dozen or so of these I turned the phone off and put it in the desk drawer. I take it out and turn it on when I want to make a call (perhaps twice a month) then back in the desk it goes. Every few weeks it buzzes telling me to recharge the battery but otherwise I'm blissfully unaware of the thing.
Squire, I'm with you. I never turn my cell phone on, and never give its number to anyone. I only carry it with me when I drive, so that I can call for help if the car breaks down.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

I have a phone for mostly emergency use.
From home the thing is useless as I live
about 10 to 12 miles in either direction
from call phone service.

In so many ways I have to ask myself...
Why bother?

Yeah, I know I kind of live in the boonies.

Terry
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Very interesting thread. I have had cell phones beginning almost 20 yrs ago with a Nokia candy bar style phone. In a few years I moved onto a flip phone and went through a couple of those. Then finally to a "smartphone" about 6 yrs ago when they began to come out. Have graduated to a monster smartphone a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Big screen and tons of capabilities.

Even though I have had a lot of cell phones I do use them mainly for phone calls in case of emergency and for some work calls while on the road. Of course when I retire at the end of the year that part of their use will decrease drastically. But I do have a few other uses for my smartphone.

First off I can keep my calendar handy on it. And I can sync that calendar with my desktop computer so my schedule is accurate. And I also have a shopping list app on the phone which also is on my desktop so I can make an accurate list of items needed when the wife and I do our grocery shopping. I like that app because I can list the items by aisle and that makes finding things much easier.

But the most often used feature on my cell phone is my use of it as a phone album. With plenty of pix of my nearly 3 yr old grand daughter on it I can "show-off" my grand kid. And that will be doubled in August when she becomes a big sister to another grand child. Speaking of pix, I like the camera on my cell as well. Now it is not the quality camera needed to take great shots like Dr. Moss has posted in another section of this site but I am past that stage of pix taking. But that is a topic for another time.

As for surfing the web, well, I still love the good old desktop computer for about 99% of my web surfing. Darn phones are just too small to see anything clearly on them. Besides when I would use a cell phone to surf I would usually just use up those darn expensive gigabytes of data that the cell phones have began charging for.

I did just get a tablet computer, a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. Love it because when I do travel over nite and on my trips to Chicago to visit the grand daughter I like to have internet access. Carrying a big time laptop is just a heavy pain in the back but the tablet is just the right size for the wife and I to use to surf and also to watch a movie on Netflix. Plus I can use the tablet as an ebook reader. I love to read and I have found that ebooks seem to be better than the regular kind because they are so much more portable.

Back to the original question about tapatalk. Never tried it myself because I don't surf the web on my phone. But that seems to be the way of the future. In several phone and tablet forums I see that some of the younger folks are simply not buying the bigger immobile PC computers anymore and are buying the smartphones and tablets in their place.

As I close, I want to ask Squire in particular a big question. When was the last time you saw or used a pay phone? I haven't seen one in working condition for years. But I can remember using them many, many times in my life. They were in some cases a real life saver. That and the good old collect call.

For me tapatalk does nothing but I do think that it will be even more useful to the younger set who take up traditional wet shaving and want to visit SMF on the go.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well stated, Bryce. These are just new tools that are available for those who see them as useful, but nobody's being mandated to use them. Tapatalk is a tool and it works for some folks. As you say, we can do the same things on our smart phones as we can on the PC. It's just far more portable, and convenient when one is not near their trusty PC. And as you say, the small screen is a problem for some, when it comes to one's comfort level as they look at the screen.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And we used to laugh at the hand held communicators they used on Star Trek. If my Grandfather had heard a phone go off while he was fishing it would've been tossed into the water.
Regards,
Squire