tapatalk and shave my face

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: tapatalk and shave my face

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:And we used to laugh at the hand held communicators they used on Star Trek. If my Grandfather had heard a phone go off while he was fishing it would've been tossed into the water.
:lol:

I am very tied to my smartphone --- as it is my primary device when I travel where work is concerned. My iPad Mini is my device of choice, and if it weren't so doggone expensive, I'd probably turn in my laptop and replace it with an Apple MacBook Air --- but alas, we are in a BYOD environment where you use the equipment you are given and if you want something different buy it yourself -- at the peril of it not being supported.

I still have a few years to retirement ---- and at that time expect my ties to technology will be drastically reduced to the tablet and a smartphone -- but in 7-10 years who knows what we will have available to us.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I figure the kids will have a keypad tattooed on their arm and activated by an implanted chip.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

GA, Well, that was largely my intention as well; in the car for emergencies. Unfortunately, it didn't stay that way. Occasionally, I would check my office voice mail via the cell phone and return a call if I needed to and so, of course, everyone I called got the cell phone number ( and sometimes gave it to other mutual acquaintances as well ) and so much for 'car emergencies only'....sigh. Eventually I discontinued my office land line because it had become redundant. Then my wife disconnected our home land line for the same reason and all we have left now are two cell phones. I still can't believe it happened...and I'm still not happy about it really. She has a 'smart phone'....I DO NOT.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

The ability to communicate at will, from any location, is a huge improvement over whatever we had before.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

bernards66 wrote:... Then my wife disconnected our home land line for the same reason and all we have left now are two cell phones. I still can't believe it happened...and I'm still not happy about it really. She has a 'smart phone'....I DO NOT. ...
Yes -- we are going to be going down that path eventually as well.

Currently my wife has what I would call a semi-smart phone --- a Nokia C3 which she is rather attached to due to the simplicity in operation for calls and texts. She doesn't use wi-fi capabilities at all hence doesn't see the need/value. Since she is on a pretty decent plan at the moment, no real impetus to change for her. I on the other hand, am quite reliant on my HTC One for personal and work email, messaging, and many apps such as GasBuddy, The Score, etc. My plan is covered fully by my employer -- as retirement nears, we may even only go down to a single phone between us. By then, there will hopefully be some sanity in the Canadian mobile phone offerings as we still are well away from being a mature market from an options perspective.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We don't have a land line either and frankly I don't miss it.
Regards,
Squire
pausted

Post by pausted »

I got my first cell phone in 1988. Had to have it for business. It was hard wired into my car and as I recall it cost $1000.00. Today, I still have the same cell phone number although I have moved to several different cell carriers over the years. That was all fine as long as my company was paying for everything. Now that I am semi retired, I don't use it much for business but I still enjoy being able to communicate pretty much wherever and whenever I want. Recently I got a deal on an Apple iphone and I am loving it. Best phone I've ever had. I really enjoy messing around with it.

Basil
Best regards,

Basil
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Though I don't use my IPone 3 g all that often
when I do I prefer texting over calling if it's
for something simple.

I also think that it's cool as hell to be able to
take a picture of something and then to text
the picture.

Like I said in an earlier post these things can
be very handy at times. Fortunately so far I
have avoided an addiction.

Terry
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Any possibility of being able to access SMF on Tapatalk anytime soon? :roll:
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

TheMonk wrote:Any possibility of being able to access SMF on Tapatalk anytime soon? :roll:
No reply at all? :whistle:
David

brothers

Post by brothers »

It's a fair question. If it (Tapatalk) becomes available for SMF, I'd use it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

One would have to talk Vince into installing the plug-in for Tapatalk. If you feel strongly, please ask Sam or Dominic (ichabod) to mail him. I'm not here very often for the next while and I don't want to talk about why!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

drmoss_ca wrote:One would have to talk Vince into installing the plug-in for Tapatalk. If you feel strongly, please ask Sam or Dominic (ichabod) to mail him. I'm not here very often for the next while and I don't want to talk about why!

C.
Done. 8)
David

ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I'm going to take this up with Vince. I see Tapatalk almost everywhere now.

(I have a smartphone, I rooted it and made it a developer phone, I'm something of a phone geek, but I've never bothered with Tapatalk. Any time a site directs me to its mobile version I get frustrated very rapidly and go elsewhere).
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

jww wrote:
Squire wrote:And we used to laugh at the hand held communicators they used on Star Trek. If my Grandfather had heard a phone go off while he was fishing it would've been tossed into the water.
:lol:

I am very tied to my smartphone --- as it is my primary device when I travel where work is concerned. My iPad Mini is my device of choice, and if it weren't so doggone expensive, I'd probably turn in my laptop and replace it with an Apple MacBook Air --- but alas, we are in a BYOD environment where you use the equipment you are given and if you want something different buy it yourself -- at the peril of it not being supported.

I still have a few years to retirement ---- and at that time expect my ties to technology will be drastically reduced to the tablet and a smartphone -- but in 7-10 years who knows what we will have available to us.
I'm in a similar situation; few years to retirement, BYOD environment with limited Apple support and all unless I take the clunky ThinkPad that the company would give me.
My preferred tools of trade when traveling are (in descending order): iPad, MacBook Air and then iPhone.

On shorter trips, I may even leave the MacBook at home, which makes Tapatalk (despite its occasional crashes) a handy tool to access posts on the various forums I subscribe to - even more so since I moderate a watch forum.

I appreciate the quick and convenient way that Tapatalk offers to scan forum post without having to open every post individually.
Very handy from a moderator perspective.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

brothers wrote:The ability to communicate at will, from any location, is a huge improvement over whatever we had before.

+1

The key is the "at will".
Be the master of the machine, not the slave....

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

A quick update - I've been in communication with Vince on this, and he's looking into it. I can't give an estimate on turnaround time, but he is aware of the request.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
harper

Post by harper »

I am seemingly the outlier here because I have an iPhone6, an iPad, and a desktop computer with enough memory to outlast me. I don't count the old laptop I never use that I bought when we were going to Florida regularly and I wanted to be in touch with clients or friends. My wife has a cell phone and a laptop. And I got my first cell phone about 20 years ago mainly so I could be in touch with clients when I was out of the office.

I have learned more about more things in the past five years from the Internet than I learned in the previous 79 years (I am 84) and I keep learning. Like most people my age I am having some memory problems (difficulty with remembering names. I see someone on TV and can't remember his name but I can remember a show or movie he was in so I look that up, et voila, I find the name) and some medical problems and there is little going wrong with me that I can't get insight into by looking it up on the Internet. And, yes, there is nonsense info there but if you are careful you can find sites like the Mayo Clinic and others that are unsurpassed in reliable information.

I also learn all sorts of odd things: In fact, today I learned that I am a neophiliac ... a person who enjoys new things. And I think that is good because if there weren't people like me a lot of things would not get invented. Probably there would never have been a TRAC11 razor if more people were reluctant to try new things and think of how those who bash cartridge razors and Gillette would feel if their favourite targets were not around.

Like everything else, modern technology can be used to the extreme so moderation is called for. However, it is wise to remember that even moderation can be carried to excess.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bob, this post is one of the best I've read in a long time. Especially your shared wisdom about moderation in excess. I agree.
Gary

harper

Post by harper »

Thanks for the kind words Gary. I found it interesting that there is a word to describe what I am. And I do like trying some new things because often they are a real improvement over older versions or older products manufactured by others. Sometimes I buy "dogs" but I have been around long enough to be somewhat circumspect in what I buy. I can still be seduced by a slick new model (car or female) but years of judgment have shown me to be careful in what I do. I try not to be predictable in my daily life and have a goal of making my wife laugh at least 5 times a day and usually exceed that.

As I have said I find the marketing of shaving products of more interest than the arcane aspects of shaving that are entirely interesting to others on this forum. I have never really loved
shaving and got interested in various ways of shaving and products when I realized that I was either going to have to grow a beard or shave for the rest of my life. Not being particularly disposed to wearing a beard I took the shaving route and while I still don't enjoy it a lot I do have some fun with it now. Then I hooked up on introducing TRAC11 and learned a lot about razors and blades that has stood me in good stead over the years. I even worked on Braun electric shavers (part of Gillette) and visited their research facilities in Germany -- very sophisticated -- and while electrics do not do the job for me they have a place ... for me it is the quick shave at the end of the day when I have to go out for a few hours.

cheers

bob