Alum Blocks?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
CMur12

Re: Alum Blocks?

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Noel!

Great first post. (I think that is largely why I don't bother with alum. :? )

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Noel wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:42 pm The other version is the milled dust compressed into a bar. £1 Ebay. It's horrible. Running it over your face it feels like emery paper. Cheaper, yes, but a waste of money. It is no longer crystal. I might try using it as an abrasive.
To be fair to it, the styptic pencil, for that is what you describe, isn't used for pleasure, but to seal cuts, at which it is reasonably good.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Alum blocks I use over the whole face only following an occasional straight razor shave. Styptic pencil is on hand to use liberally on the single isolated wound whenever necessary to stop the bleeding. I've never entertained the notion that anyone uses a styptic pencil on the whole face as a habit. I do agree with you that it would be unpleasant and/or inappropriate without a cut or nick to treat.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I only use mine to staunch the occasional pinhole bloodspot. As such, it will outlast me.

Chris
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Are used to use a styptic pencil in the past. I think I tried an Alum block a time or two but it was not my cup of tea
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

John Rose wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm I use a styptic pencil (anhydrous aluminum sulfate) for blood. Most of them are very thin and brittle, so imagine my joy when I found out about Clubman's Jumbo Styptic Pencil.
This is an old thread, but an update on the Clubman Jumbo Styptic Pencil:
It goes mushy very quickly. and the short handle/cap fell off after a few uses, so I end up with it all over my fingertips.
When it gets used up (in a few years?) I'll pick up one of the skinny ones from the pharmacy.
Then again, I might just put a few wraps of red and white PVC electrical tape on it (à la barber pole stripes) and see how that goes.

Regarding the crystal deodorant stick: I'd worn it down to about 1/4" from the handle (after almost two years of daily use?), but it had started rattling around inside the handle. I ended up prying the butt end (about the size of 1/2 a marshmallow) out of the handle and just use that. Now it's a really nice wide flat surface.
(oh, I see that the original image is a dead link)
Crystal Deodorant_3059.jpg
Crystal Deodorant_3059.jpg (228.66 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex