Alum Blocks?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
nwohio

Re: Alum Blocks?

Post by nwohio »

I always used Thayer's Witch Hazel after my shaves. After reading all the great things written about alum I tried using it in place of the witch hazel. My face liked it a lot but my neck could not tolerate. It caused red bumps and irritation on my neck. I went back to WH.
Mike
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Mike,
I was skeptical about alum blocks for the longest while, but once I tried it as a post shave, I was a convert.
No irritation, nice astringent feeling... just what I wanted. I still finish with a post shave soother,and/or an
alcohol-based scented after-shave

Then, I got fancy and tried using it as a deodorant (another use widely touted by some here) ---what a
disaster. Terrible irritation and red raw underarms for several months. Wow!! BIG mistake!!

One suggestion: if you apply the alum block do you leave it on "permanently?" How about applying it,
leaving on for a minute or two, then rinsing it off (maybe with your witch hazel)?Just a thought!

Good Luck!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh, I had the bright idea of using it as a deodorant and that worked . . . for a couple of hours.
Regards,
Squire
mustang_john

Post by mustang_john »

My mrs has an alum deodorant as she's allergic to the chemicals in most others. She just wets it, and applies it. Each one last about two years!!!!!
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Well they may not bury me with my current block of Alum. My 2 year old son recently got his hands on it while I at the office and apparently dropped it and knocked off a slight chunk. If this keeps up I'll eventually have to replace it. Hopefully not though.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

When my son was 2 he would look up in amazement while I shaved. Now he's taller than me and more inclined to reach over my shoulder to "borrow" some aftershave. Surprising how often a child will say borrow when what they mean is permanent loan.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Squire wrote:When my son was 2 he would look up in amazement while I shaved. Now he's taller than me and more inclined to reach over my shoulder to "borrow" some aftershave. Surprising how often a child will say borrow when what they mean is permanent loan.
Squire, yes! But isn't it glorious to see them use it. You know you've done well.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That it is Chris, that it is.
Regards,
Squire
SonOfRobert

Post by SonOfRobert »

Like jrtaster above, I also developed a rash under my arm on the right side. Dr. decided it was yeast??? Took two months of oral and topical treatment to get rid of it. The difference for me was that I had used the alum type deodorant (not my alum block) for several years. It really worked for me during that time. Wife said it eliminated my underarm odor. Used the Mennen while fighting the infection, but went back to the alum after it cleared up. No trouble since (knocks loudly on wood).
brothers

Post by brothers »

After reading that some folks use alum blocks as deodorant with good results I tried it. Apparently my body chemistry is immune. Had to go back to what was previously working.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:After reading that some folks use alum blocks as deodorant with good results I tried it. Apparently my body chemistry is immune. Had to go back to what was previously working.
I had the same issue a few years back when I tried it as well. I still use an alum block post shave, though.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

They certainly don't work for me, at least in that regard.
Regards,
Squire
preidy

Post by preidy »

I use mainly as an astringent plus it just makes my face feel great. Although a little more costly than the larger block I use the travel alum stick (Omega). It's more comfortable and easier to rub on my face than a larger block. Also it takes up less space in my small cabinet.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I always use alum after a shave, just because it's part of my ritual. I apply it after a warm water rinse, then rinse it off after half a minute or so with cold water. Just long enough to rinse out the lather bowl and sink.
I started with an Omega stick, then got a Shavex block.
I'd always wondered about the "crystal deodorant" alum sticks, but very often they do not indicate on the package what kind of alum it is. Some are ammonium alum (more suited for a deodorant) and some are potassium alum (like the post-shave alum). About all they'll say is "contains no aluminum" (not true), or "contains no aluminum chlorohydrate" (true but not helpful). Sales staff usually doesn't know, and just parrots the "natural crystal, no aluminum" line.
However, I found some "Pure & Natural Crystal Deodorant Stone" at a local health food store and was able to look it up online. It was, indeed, potassium alum.
So I got some.

It's 120 g (similar to a Shavex or large Osma block) but about half the price. \:D/
It goes on really fast.
And, it's got a big old doorknob of a plastic handle, so it's not easy to drop.
And x 2, the cap is flattened, so you can store it upside down. Any water on it does not drip down into the handle, which would dissolve the alum a bit and allow it to fall out. (Like what happened to my last Omega stick.)
I'm not interested in it as a deodorant, so I have no idea about how effective it is for that.

Pretty much any brand has the same shape and size. You just have to confirm that it's potassium alum.

Now, for stopping blood flow I do not depend on alum. Sometimes it'll stop tiny cuts, but then you might see a red spot on your neck a hour later.
I use a styptic pencil (anhydrous aluminum sulfate) for blood. Most of them are very thin and brittle, so imagine my joy when I found out about Clubman's Jumbo Styptic Pencil.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Thanks for this info, John. I'm not sure that I need the Jumbo-sized styptic pencil but the "crystal deodorant" is a good tip.
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

For the past 6 or 7 months I've been trying to use my straight razors for 3 or 4 days during the month just to stay in practice maintaining and using them. I've enjoyed it a lot. As a result of 3 or 4 daily shaves in a row with open razors when I'm not used to it, my face becomes quite sensitive due to the skin thinning phenomena. I found that it really helps to go over my face with an alum block immediately after the shave. Can't explain or even contemplate the reasons it works or the chemicals involved, but it works great.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Crystal deodorant works great. I use blocks from somewhere in the mid-east (Pakistan maybe?). Nothing as fancy or as usable as the sticks pictured. I've used it for years. One thing some folks might not like... mine have no scent. If it's a true crystal I don't think scent can be present in the crystalline structure.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

For a very long time I always used alum after a shave, but have moved away from that entirely. My post shave ritual has become very basic indeed after all my rinsing is done I splash on some Thayer's Witch Hazel and finish with some GFT skin food - either Limes in the warmer weather, or Sandlewood when it's cooler. The older I get (turned 60 this year) the fewer different types of product I find I need. ymmv
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’m a bit older than you are Wendell and I have found my interest in trying out new products and new techniques has waned in recent years. I have a core of brands and products I like and have no desire to chase wild hares across the prairie as I enjoyed doing in my younger days. Furthermore, I derive more satisfaction from employing the KISS principle. In this regard. I eliminated the alum block from my post-shave routine some time ago, which now consists of a thorough rinse with warm water followed by a liberal lashing of an alcohol-based aftershave.
Bryan
Noel

Post by Noel »

Hello guys. The Shaving Stone goes back to BC times, and if you were a soldier then it was easier to carry than a bottle of aftershave, plus it lasted much longer.
It closes the pores and has an antibacterial effect, that's all. I have a bar and at first I overused it. My skin felt lumpy afterwards. Now I rinse the shaving soap off, splash cold water over the face (closing the pores before they are filled with the alum), and then use the stone very lightly as a one-pass.
If I afterwards want to remove it and use aftershave to please the wife, I find it's not easy to remove. A splash of water and a light towelling doesn't get rid of it. It clings. I have to use soap and warm water.
There are two versions of the same thing. One is where the crystal is hacked out of rock as it naturally occurs and is milled until it is as smooth as a baby's bottom. It is then as smooth as glass on your face. This costs in UK £5 for one, £8 for two (Ebay, Amazon).
The other version is the milled dust compressed into a bar. £1 Ebay. It's horrible. Running it over your face it feels like emery paper. Cheaper, yes, but a waste of money. It is no longer crystal. I might try using it as an abrasive.