Stealth Whiskers !

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mustang_john

Stealth Whiskers !

Post by mustang_john »

Hi guys,

Ok, let me try to explain.

When I shave along my jaw line and under my chin, I can hear the razor cutting the whiskers. But when it comes to getting the BBS finish, they seem to hide somehow. It's like they go into stealth mode !

As the razor goes ATG, for a few millimetres, it cuts the hair, then seems to go to nothing, if you run your finger were you just shaved its smooth. But...... give it about 15 seconds or so and the whiskers are back.
It's really infuriating, as it means having to shave the same point over and over to get it BBS, with the obvious irritation as a result.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,

John.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Stealth Whiskers !

Post by Squire »

Sorry John, for that sort of fine tuning what works on my face may not work on yours. Keeping the area wet may help though.
Regards,
Squire
SonOfRobert

Post by SonOfRobert »

Is there any pre-shave routine that might help, anyone?

Dan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have learned, as Squire says, we each have to find our own path to the end result that meets our perceptions and expectations for the smoothest and closest shave possible. In other words, that's why we're here! It's the preparation, the technique, the cream or soap, and in my case, it's been finding the razor and the blade that work best for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my advice is bit different......give up in the bbs feeling. How often does somebody rub their fingers across your face and say ewh, disgusting whiskers . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Swap to a wedge bladed razor. With a Rolls for instance it's exactly reversed. It will feel as though the stubble is still there even though it's been cut, then 15-120 minutes after the shave the whisker shafts have retreated below the skin line.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

fallingwickets wrote:my advice is bit different......give up in the bbs feeling.
There's always that.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:
fallingwickets wrote:my advice is bit different......give up in the bbs feeling.
There's always that.
Indeed .....

J-stroke and blade-buffing gets me as close a shave as I need. However, as Squire notes above --- not everyone benefits from the same techniques.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
mustang_john

Post by mustang_john »

Hmm, no idea what a wedge razor is to be fair.
This is what I use....

http://www.shaving-shack.com/timor-doub ... metal.html

As for giving up the BBS, if I don't do that, by midday my face is rubbing the crap out of my collars :(