my story

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
nicodemus38

my story

Post by nicodemus38 »

would like to say my story off quick. its interesting.

when I started shaving it was wet shaving with a trac 2 double blade. it sucked. more then a days stubble required 2 shaves.

once I graduated to more advanced multiblades with 4 and more blades, it got worse. stubble from 2 days required 2 shaves. often the 2nd shave needed a completely new cartridge.

more then 2 days of growth requires either me to get my beard trimmer out, take the guard off and rip my face apart to get the stubble short as possible, and then shave with a 4+ blade cartridge.

otherwise, its use and completely kill 1 cartridge on my neck and mustache, and a second one on my cheeks and chin.

yet with a "crummy" weishi, once pass is "pretty darn nice" with 2 and 3 days of stubble. 3.5 days of stubbles requires a second pass.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: my story

Post by jww »

This is all about patience, practice and learning what works for you. ymmv. Thanks for sharing.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

my experiences disprove the claim a cartridge razor will last you a whole week.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Are you saying you're dissatisfied with the Weishi?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

not at all. it isn't as easy to rinse out. but its a really good product. very natural. almost drives itself.
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's good. I'm happy that it's working for you, in a manner that is far improved over the cartridges.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

"Pretty darn nice" says it all nic.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

A twin-bladed cartridge works fine for me, but I much prefer the action of a single blade.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:A twin-bladed cartridge works fine for me, but I much prefer the action of a single blade.

- Murray
This applies in my case, as well. Provided however, the single blade is a DE not a disposable Bic or Gillette.
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I started with a twin blade cartridge disposable. those were good. they had the right secret really, the 2 blades were evenly positioned in the head. that let them work right and flush crap through. I used to use them with just a quick splash of water on my face and no lather. just fine.

for me right now the weishi is that shaver you can shave with in the dark and while hung over, and not loose half your face. my Gillette travel tech on the other hand is far more aggressive. not sure if its the size or the way it flushes gunk through the blade gap as you shave.
I swear I could probably shave one whole pass without rinsing it. out.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm surprised that a (travel) Tech would be that aggressive. The pre-WW II Techs with triangular slots were more aggressive and I understand Techs manufactured in countries other than the US also to be more aggressive. Is yours one of these?

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Aggressive is as aggressive does. I've had some vintage Gillette Techs that were more aggressive than others and I'm convinced shape, weight and length of handle will turn what's mild in one hand to aggressive in another.

The rules are there are no rules.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

1966 travel tech. im the first who has used it. first shave with something that small. that thing was aggressive in comparison to my weishi. I swear if I had to shave a great dane, this is what id use.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Had even more fun. Went without shaving for a whole week. Was trying to make up my mind on what to order and get off of canned gunk. So when it came time to shave, I used my weishi and hand soap from the tub.

Took 3 times as long and only did two passes. Pretty good shave though. Not sure why I used my weishi and not my travel tech, but I only had 2 weepers from ingrown hairs I chopped up. Face doesn't seem as toned as when I was using goo. Perhaps that allergy and over dose of menthol DOES something.

In the old days I would have used at least 2 brand new cartridges. and or used my electric beard trimmer first. I stopped shaving for a week and was getting envious and dirty looks from coworkers who haven't shaved in 1-2 months.