hey I'm a new commer to wetshaving

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mrjediconsular

Re: hey I'm a new commer to wetshaving

Post by mrjediconsular »

i think i just need to buy a new adjustable razor, paypal is not working for me right now i'm getting too frustrated with it. :x
Jordan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

What's up with Paypal?

They have a number that can be called for help. 1 888 221 1161
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

If you're anything like me, the problem's usually "operator error" in my case. I bet you can get it figured out in a jiffy, especially if you give them a quick call. Good luck! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

Ok so I wasn't expecting to have to give all this info after I made an account and after I put my account info in. some of the stuff I don't have at the moment that's why I was getting frustrated
Jordan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mrj, that's my weak point with a lot of the stuff we try to do on the internet. I'm right with you on this for sure.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

A standard acc't is pretty easy. You must be trying for a sellers acc't? (I really don't need to know) That can be a bit more difficult to arrange since Paypal has to make sure the acc't number you'll use at your bank is the correct one. You don't want their deposits to go into someone else's acc't. You'll get it and really, the folks at Paypal are pretty good if you just call them and explain the problem. They deal with frustration every day.

Relax, you'll get it.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

my razor is on it's way!!! :D
Jordan
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Hey Jedi
What razor did you order? also which blades are you gonna use? the right blade choice for your skin makes a big difference in the performance of the razor. Most of our vendors offer sampler packs on the cheap so you can try many different blades to find the ones you really like before building your stockpile :P
The waiting is the hardest part
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

I bought a progress and a 100 blade sample pack that includes Feather Derby Nacet Asco Supermax Big Ben Lord and crown but if they ran out of a certain kind of blade they would substitute them with a different blade
Jordan
BestBadger

Post by BestBadger »

mrjediconsular wrote:I've been think of merkur 34c and 23c Edwin jagger DE89 muhle R89
In my experience all razors you mentioned work fine for sensitive skin. Edwin Jagger DE89 and Mühle R89 have the same head, there is no difference. This is - as far as I know - also the case for Merkur 23C and 34C. The handle of the 23C is thinner and long whereas the handle of the 34C is thicker and shorter so it's the question what kind of handle will work better for you. If you prefer a shorter handle and a head with more weight, I would recommend the DE89. If you prefer a head with less weight, the 34C wourd be fine. If you are looking for a longer handle, buy the 23C (which in my opinion is perfect for people who used cartridge razors before, because those razors also have long handles). There is also a new version of the R89 on the market called "R89 Grande" which has a long and rather thick handle.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

mrjedi,

Looks like you have done good with your razor/blade purchase. And welcome to SMF. I would suggest that you also look around the forum especially the SMF University forum and in that forum look at the Video forum. In particular Mantic's very useful videos.

Wetshaving is more than just the right equipment but also the right technique. You will find a lot of useful info in that forum.

And be aware that you can find in the Safety Razors & Blades forum a great and helpful post full of blade reviews by our very own Squire (Thanks Squire).

Good luck and I hope you find yourself with some great shaves and have great fun getting them.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

does anyone know of a good less painful alternative to styptic pencils i got a cut on my finger thanks to my leg spasms and it hurt like crap :shock: when i used the pencil it stopped the bleeding but i had redness after.
Jordan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Was the redness coagulated blood? :D Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

The pain is the bodies way to tell you that it's been hurt deeper than the dead skin layers. Anything that toys with the nerve endings after that should have a pain reaction unless it's an anesthetic.

I can't help with the redness, but powdered cayenne pepper is a coagulant, as is powdered oak bark. Beyond those there are coagulants used by the military. Not having used any of the coagulants mentioned in this paragraph I don't know about pain associated with them or any redness, but flesh and blood has always been red every time I've seen it. Maybe makeup to conceal the redness? Not my thing, so I can't help there. That's all I have; I don't know, maybe I missed the point of your question?

I use styptic pencil myself and yes, it stings. Whoops! I missed one! Hydrogen peroxide will stop minor bleeding and it doesn't sting too badly.
Brian

preidy

Post by preidy »

You can get a nice Tech on e-bay from 15-25 bucks. There's a bunch out there so don't grab the first. In the last month I've picked up two (for my grandsons).
Also, I think the Tech is a good starter razor - price and mildness. A really great razor I still have one in my rotation. Get your technique down and the RAD will kick-in on it's own.
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

well thanks to mantic59's YouTube [-o<. i found out some deodorants can work as a styptic :shock: pencil for some people and it didn't hurt as much as the styptic pencil at least this one was a ingrown hair i had and not my finger
Jordan
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

what are your thoughts on synthetic shaving brushes?
Jordan
brothers

Post by brothers »

If you get one, make sure it's the 4th generation (most recent). They're inexpensive, and they are remarkably soft on the face. They're different from boar, badger, and horse. They dry rapidly and are great for traveling. They are good lathermakers. They will always hold the same shape as new, meaning they don't need breaking in, and they don't become more bloomed out with use. Those are my thoughts! You owe it to yourself to try one. Some guys like them, and some not so much. Speaking for myself, I like them, but they aren't replacing my badger and boars.
Gary

BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

So mrjediconsular, how is the Progress treating you? Did you decide you didn't like it, or that you wanted to wait awhile.

I'm curious since I recently bought a Progress too -- nice razor.
disengage
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

will the packaging sucked and i had to put mine together :roll:.

i seen only two problems with it is that the corners can catch your skin easy but that might be my technique.

the other is that the handle can get hot really easy just by running the head underwater.

but otherwise it's smooth shaving only once has the adjustment dial switch on me but i just had to tighten the pressure ring inside a little pit more. I've only used it with derby's i'm still working on my sample pack :D
Jordan
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

:?: Is it possible to have the grain of the beard change the closer to the skin you get?
Jordan