My first DE razor.

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Jassch82

My first DE razor.

Post by Jassch82 »

I'm new to wet shaving, but very excited to start using a de safety razor. I've watched many videos and read a lot of articles. There is a few starter kits I'm looking at. One includes a Maggard MR6. And the other includes a RazoRock Mission. I'm looking to get info and your thoughts on these razors. I'm gonna shop on tryablade so I can try a bunch of Claude's to see what works with my face.

Thank
Jassch82
CMur12

Re: My first DE razor.

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Jassch82!

I'm not familiar with the two razors that you named, so I can't offer any feedback specific to them. Note that we can't recommend specific shaving tools without knowing more about you.

As a starting point, I choose the razor for my skin and the blade for my beard. I have very sensitive skin, so I use a gentle/mild razor (a Merkur Progress on the lowest/gentlest setting). I have a coarse beard, so I use one of the sharper blades (Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use, Perma-Sharp Super, Treet DuraSharp, etc). Feather blades, however, are too sharp for me.

You want to keep variables to a minimum, especially when starting out. I would personally recommend against a sample pack of blades until you have worked out your basic technique. Then you will be able to distinguish between problems of technique and blades that don't work for you. If you start swapping blades before you have your basic technique established, it will create confusion and impede learning.

I would recommend starting with a fairly universally liked blade, such as a Crystal, Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use, or Astra, and stick with that for at least a couple of months while you work out your basic shaving technique. Try a sample pack of blades after that.

Note that as your technique evolves, your favorite blades made change, too.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Jass, welcome aboard, can't help with the razors (no knowledge of them) but either appears to be a decent place to start.
Regards,
Squire
Jassch82

Post by Jassch82 »

Thanks Cmur12 and Squire.

I don't have very sensitive skin. I also have a beard that I will be shaving around. Are there any other blades you all would recommend to start with. I've heard the Personna lab blue are a good all around blade. I've heard mixed reviews on the Derbys. And Feathers are very sharp.

I'm going to start with the Soap Commander Intergrity(nonscented). I've heard great reviews on their soaps. And my wife has a allergy to some scents. So I will start there and sample scents as I go.

Thanks again.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Why not ask Maggards for razor advice? I think they'll discuss it with you.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
preidy

Post by preidy »

Welcome. I started 4 months ago with a 34C and still use it in my rotation. A really great tool. If I had it do again and know what I know now, Gillette Tech. On Ebay ($15-$25) lower cost that a new (34C/DE89) and IMO less aggressive. I acquired one for my rotation and it gives great shaves. Good luck on your venture.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It's been awhile since you first posted Jass. What razor did you decide on? Was Maggards any help with their inventory?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square