first shave brush help

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
ShadowsDad

Re: first shave brush help

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks Murray, obviously I missed that.

I would do a google search for mentions of the Satin Tip. I know I've seen it mentioned, but that's all I can remember, google will turn those mentions up immediately.

$20 isn't much for a brush. Even a synthetic where you buy a handle and glue it yourself to save $ will be more than that. Not long ago the standard wood handled Plisson could be had for the mid $30 range from what I can remember. If you can wait or if you post a WTB you might find one used. It's unlike any other synthetic that I've ever used. It has very little backbone and is cloud soft because of that. I almost didn't even try mine and almost resold it immediately. But it's a very nice brush; just unique, or it was unique at the time. It's the most badger like synthetic that I've ever used. Things may have changed since I've gotten mine and other manufacturers may be using the same or a similar fiber.

If you're interested in gluing a brush together the Golden Nib is where I get my handles and knots. It's incredibly easy to do, the resulting brush is excellent, and as I previously mentioned you can save a few bucks. If you go that route just don't use too much glue. It takes very little to get the job done. A TGN knot has good backbone and is quite soft. Not as soft as a much more expensive brush, but it's a very good brush. There's no one on the planet who could fault it's softness as long as they don't confuse it with backbone. I still have them in my cabinet with no plan to replace them.

Here are some examples.
This is a TGN knot in an Oscar11 handle, not a TGN handle.

A purple handled Oscar11 handle and a TGN knot; a travel brush. It's next to an Omega badger travel brush.

The only 2 commercial brushes have the logos easily seen on the handles. All the rest are TGN knots. The 2 brushes to the far left in faux ivory use TGN handles.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

well from what i found online i found out the satin tip is a good middle of the road shaving brush so that i can decide that if i need more backbone or go softer. since it doesn't seem like a lot of people on this forum know about this brush. i might get it so if anyone is curious about the brush i would have some knowledge thanks for all the imput
Jordan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'd go with Squire's suggestion and pick up a BK4.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ha, I knew that would happen.
Regards,
Squire
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

My first brush was a rebranded Edwin Jagger brush sold by Crabtree & Evelyn for the outrageous price of $35 back in 2008. I still use it regularly, it performs well with all my soaps, both bowl and face lathering. A problem-free brush. The same EJ brush is available at online vendors for ~$45, less than half the price of the BK4.

I also own a BK4 and absolutely enjoy using it. You wouldn't go wrong in getting one. It's my "luxo brush".

Those are my only two brushes.

All that said, I'd recommend going with the EJ or equivalent before making the jump to silvertip. In fact my next brush, should I ever buy one, would be a best badger. At one time I thought that going to silvertip was a natural progression in the wetshaving pursuit. Now I see it as an option and not a destination.
Ed