shave butter

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mrjediconsular

shave butter

Post by mrjediconsular »

Can you use a shaving brush with shave butter
Jordan
ShadowsDad

Re: shave butter

Post by ShadowsDad »

Honestly I didn't know what you meant so I googled it. The ingredients I saw listed for the Van derHagen version lead me to expect a mess if you do use a brush with it. On a positive note, soap would probably clean the brush, so yes you could use your brush, but I won't use mine.

Other ads I saw for it suggest a softened beard from the oils in it. That makes no sense, water softens the beard and soap allows the water in. I did see plenty of positive reviews, but I saw no credentials of the folks posting. They could be absolute morons posting positive reviews. It struck me as being snake oil. Maybe it's good, but in the past similar products have been junk.

We know what works. It has worked for hundreds of years. I suggest staying with the tried and true. Too, I can't believe that you're to the point yet where you need to branch out to try new things (I hope you're just curious and that's fine). Stay the course and learn the basics. After that you'll know snake oil from real usable product.

If you're having problems share them with us and maybe we can help. There is no shortcut, blade shaving requires learning technique and it doesn't grade on a curve. The grading is 100% based on results.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

i was mostly just curious if you can, i kinda gave up on the soap for now and went with creams but i have been getting better at lathering.
Jordan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Jordan, I did a quick search on shave butter and I'm still not sure exactly what it is. It appears to be a variation on a non-lathering cream. If so, to get the most out of it, I would be sure to wash and soak the beard well before applying shave butter. Since it appears to be a non-lathering product, I see no reason to use a brush, rather than just rub the product into the beard with one's fingertips. The product may be too thick and heavy to effectively apply with a brush.

Something labeled "butter" sounds like it would not wash out of a brush easily. If you were to try a brush, I think I would stick to a synthetic, as there would be no absorption of the product and it would wash out more easily.

Another thought/question: Do the instructions with shave butter recommend application with a brush? Even so, I would still try it with a synthetic brush first.

I have no idea how effective shave butter is. It only makes sense to me that it would be possible to make a good shaving medium that doesn't require a brush, and we know that some of the brushless creams are quite good. You might give the shave butter a try and let us know what you think.

- Murray

PS. Jordan, there is a sticky at the top of the Shaving Creams & Hard Soaps forum with soap and cream reviews. Gary (Brothers) did a number of reviews of brushless creams that might be of interest to you.
brothers

Post by brothers »

When I saw it on the shelf at the store, alongside Cremo Cream, I presumed it's just another brushless shaving cream.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

I just did some research and it is another brushless cream
Jordan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Is it a brushless cream soap?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

i beleive the package says without a brush.
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

So for the last couple days I've been testing this stuff out its not very good for lather more lotion feel but on the packageing it says it could work as a after shave balm and it does work for after shave very well still not as good as an actual after shave but I would still use it
Jordan
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

almost any cream CAN be used as a "shave butter" is. Simply smeared on. Most of the time it just isn't FUN without a brush.

Ive stood in stores before with the vdh shave butter stuff in hand perplexed. I never bought it.

I also haven't ever tried the duke cannon shave cream stuff either. I have tried the minty soap they make, once. second time it had no smell so I tossed it out. clearance item for a reason.

it takes me LONGER to use barbasol for a shave then to use a shave stick like speick arko or erasmic or la toja.