shaving soap lathering help

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mrjediconsular

shaving soap lathering help

Post by mrjediconsular »

so i got a vander hagen shave set and i've been trying to get the soap to lather for me but some how i can get it to work for me.i also got some shave cream form the body shop the I've been using that and getting great lather but i still haven't figure out how to get lather from the soap i also tried it with the synthetic brush that brian gave me but same result.i have tried all 3 styles of lathering so far i can get lather from a bowl and my hand but not my face
Jordan
brothers

Re: shaving soap lathering help

Post by brothers »

The two possibilities I can think of are 1.) you're not getting enough soap on your face before trying to build a lather. 2.) You're either getting too little or too much water on your brush before you try to build lather on your face. My money's on #1. Load the brush like there's no tomorrow. It's only soap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the vander hagen soaps, that ive tried, don't actually make a lather. They make a creamy like foam. Easy to work with if you don't want to have foam or lather like you get from a can.

Not bad soap wise, the VDH, but I think erasmic is better.
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

I actually got it to about a foam like last night :)
Jordan
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

that's the best you can hope for consistency wise.

its not bad glide wise, but for some reason it didn't do much for irritation.