Against the grain

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Ouchmychin

Re: Against the grain

Post by Ouchmychin »

For ATG shaving, I have trouble controlling a bladed razor so I use either the vibrating multiblade heads that have enough surface to prevent me from scraping or gouging. I also use the Gillette Guards that a member recommended. Although It is a single blade razor, the comb serves to prevent gouging too.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I need to remember to try it, but you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks, right? I just fall into the same old shave nirvana routine.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Gary -

Thanks for starting this thread. I too lave learned something. The top part of my cheeks seems to grow N to S, while the bottom part of cheek grows from chin to ear. The top of my neck seems to grow from cheek to ear, while the bottom part of neck grows from S to N. As if that weren't confusing enough, I seem to get best results ATG when shaving cheeks on the diagonal from jaw to nose, and shaving the neck on the diagonal from jaw to Adam;s Apple. What a trip this has been!
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

That's the problem I have. My cheek hair grows north the south. My neck has some south to north; some diagonal SW to NE; and some diagonal SE to NE. If I do a one pass shave I have to be content with stubble no matter which way I shave. Even my cheeks don't really get smooth unless I do the diagonal bit.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

After 7 months it's become a good habit. A single pass ATG face-lathered followed by a water-only touchup.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Today I was strong enough to do my old shave pattern. N to S on Cheeks and chin; S to N on neck; followed by reversing directions. Then it's R to L everywhere, followed by NR to SL and then reverse. Final polish ATG. Rinse well and dry and slosh on whatever. Changed blades in the middle because the Futur was tugging and that's dangerous. Personna to Super Irridium.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

You Go, Pete!!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good move Pete.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I tried a one pass ATG shave not too long ago but forgot to post. I couldn't do it. The tugging was horrible and I didn't want to see blood so gave it up almost immediately. Now maybe if I shaved every day it would have been a different story, but I don't. As with some other folks my beard grows in all sorts of directions anyway, so I'd still need to go in different directions to get it all.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I think I could pull it off for a day or two if I shaved daily. But I think the irritation would be too much after a couple of days.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just checking in to report the XTG thing is working better and better now that I've got the razor/blade combo on the right track (see below). One lather pass against the grain followed by a splash of hot water after the lather's gone and a random multi-directional pass for touching up and smoothing over the traditionally rough patches.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444